GG no longer means what it used too.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FyshinaTux

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
I think it's about the context of use. Saying gg after someone dies? Pretty weak. Saying gg at the end of the game? Sportsmanship! Sure, it's the bare minimum of sportsmanship--but even that is cooler than being rude. Of course, I prefer when the teams are actually chatting to each other over the game during plays. Makes it more fun even when you die if you can appreciate their plays.
***TL,DR: Agree with ^ mostly, there are a few exceptions.***

Have to agree with that, the most fun I've ever had in a game was when:
A) I raped in a single moment and outplayed to get the kill, followed by them or someone dead on their team saying "wow, that was amazing" "Pro (insert champ I was using)" or "league epics."
or
B) they rape me (with amazing plays) I comment on their plays, and they comment back and we chit-chat until I respawn (with obvious exception of them being busy with another champion or something.)

But there are those times where, I feel, there is no meaning to gg at all... such as in my last game, where we had a fiddle jungle. I don't advocate say gg because someone sucks, but it this case it fit (with the meaning of we lose because this guy sucks, not the "good game" it's intended to be.) Reason this fit in this instance? DESPITE the entire team trying to coach him, and show him what he was doing wrong, he kept ulti'ing into the middle of their team to initiate the fight... his max health was around 1.7-2k TOPS, and he kept making it a CONSTANT 4v5. He wasn't intentionally feeding near as I could tell, but despite pings to fall back, the entire team trying to help him (surprisingly politely), and us all trying to engage just before him so he wouldn't get raped and then we all get raped... he kept playing horridly.

Worst part? IT WAS A RANKED MATCH...

So in this instance I happened to say GG (in team chat, not all chat) because they ended up getting all of our inhibs, solely on the basis of our fiddle not being alive for 80% of the end game. The last time he died to them I said gg in team chat, and guess what, they ended it right there with not a thing my team could do about it. (They also got 3 barons because of our fiddle.)

So yea, I try to be honorable, and I try to be as sportsmanlike as possible, but when you have someone on your team (in a bloody RANKED match -_-) that refuses to help at all, it's really not that easy.

my two cents.

DreamsOfGrandeur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

I like to say 'Thanks for Playing' when I see the end of the game coming.

It feels less insulting to a team if they have a leaver / feeder whose intentionally ruining the game.
To me, it's not sportsman-like to say "gg" if you know they had a bad member turn a fair game into a rigged game.

Thanks for Playing shows more gratitude to their willingness to stick through to the end.

UrsaMinor

11-17-2012

I turn off all chat.

Mortons Fork

11-17-2012

I always press "VVGG" but it doesn't work. Apparently I am playing the wrong game

Angam

11-17-2012

I say GG at the end of every game, and only at the end of every game. It's a showing of respect for your teammates and opponents. I agree that it gets misused all the time during games by people raging, but not saying GG at the end of the game is like not shaking someone's hand when you meet them. It doesn't matter whether you're actually happy to meet someone or not, the polite thing to do is shake their hand.

Now, for those of you who want something to say that's more than just a polite formality, just talk to them. "Man, you completely beat on me during the laning phase, do you mind if I ask what runes/masteries you were using?" "That was an epic dragon steal!" If you want to show that you have genuine respect for how someone played, give a specific example as to why from the game you just played. It shows that you took notice of a positive aspect of their gameplay, be it attitude, mechanics, or otherwise, and both shows your appreciation for it and encourages them to continue it. Win-win.

Waldo226

11-17-2012

I type out Good Game because I illegitimately mean it.

Mr M0nday

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

GG means good game. Literally. That's not an opinion, that's what it stands for.

If you believe it means something different, good for you. It doesn't.

Tswizzle SF

11-17-2012

I only compliment the other team if it's deserved, and only in post-game chat. Anything else is a waste

GG is the new QQ

B4mbam

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr M0nday View Post
GG means good game. Literally. That's not an opinion, that's what it stands for.

If you believe it means something different, good for you. It doesn't.
It's just easily misconstrued to an insult.

Zectra

11-17-2012

I still say "gg" at the end to be polite, unless it really was a terrible game ridden with afks and leavers.
I'll say "gg wp" when I think it was a good and very close game.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that the definition has changed.
It's just a polite way of ending or complimenting the game.