Hey LoL Feminists, Take a seat

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gespens

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimPhenom View Post
So you're using story and character traits to justify his design...

LIKE WE HAVEN'T BEEN DOING THIS SINCE THE START OF THIS TOPIC

Double standard
I use lore to justify their design all the time.

Character design is based off of three things:

Circumstance
Setting
Emotion to evoke

Aside from Cait, nearly all the designs make sense aside from personal gripes.

And if people wanted an actual plant 'girl' you would never get it. We do not have a plant man either. Maokai is a herm. Because plants are herms.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reedonidas

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Riot is a company. Riot wasn't always a successful one. Their original art(read as: champions that came out when the game did) is the same as it is now. Heroic, barbarian types(Tryndamere) and promiscuous femmes fatales.

Basically feminists are suggesting that the owners of Riot are not entitled to their market share based on what? Undocumented cases of, "anorexia" that are supposedly running rampant? An un-quantifiable effect on the body images of women? You don't have to play League of Legends - there are tons of games out there where women are not only not sexualized or idealized, but not included entirely. Why don't you go play Minecraft, StarCraft II or any of the other HORDES of games where women aren't?

Because then you'd have nothing to complain about. Riot is serving THEIR DEMOGRAPHIC based on 3 YEARS OF MARKET RESEARCH. You being a woman does not deny them that right. You might even have an argument if every single female champion was as you describe them, but they're not. Many of them are not even slightly suggestive.

Every American, including you, has a right to free enterprise. Capitalism is part of Democracy. If you don't like it, move to another country and see how their women are treated. It saddens me that you lot include yourself with real women heroes that actually lobbied successfully for important women's issues.

Can you really include being a vegan, hating women with large breasts and disliking animal cruelty with women's suffrage, women's medical rights? Women in other countries are being mutilated, forced to bear children they don't want, treated poorly in countries with no laws against domestic violence and what.. McDonalds made you fat and Riot gave you a poor body image?

I'm sorry, I forgot that people don't make decisions for themselves. If Sona makes you feel self conscious, care about something else or stop buying skins and start saving for surgery. Women don't get to deny the American dream to those with enough wherewithal to stop being the victim and start being successful.

Everything you don't make of yourself is your own fault.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rachel

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimPhenom View Post
Tryndamere is a king shouldn't he wear king garbs?

But Pantheon literally has his ***** just in your face (especially when he W on top of you) Why?

And Varus is Naked lol, no excuse. He's naked.

Not sure how anyone wouldn't find this sexual, what is it considered the norm for a man to just be beefy, stacked, and handsome? Cause I am the exact opposite of that outside of handsome

Point is there is also some Freudian design in the men too
Kings are also generals, priests, even ARCHITECTS! Kings don't only have to be dressed like a king. So I can understand his design.

Thinking about it, I don't really know how sexualized they are. They are more...heroically charged so to speak. They are meant to appear powerful and strong and manly! How else do you do that other than showing off muscles and being shirtless? (I'm sure there's something freudian in this idea altogether to be honest!) I think it makes the champion's character readable.

Again I don't know about Varus I don't know how to defend his shirtlessness.

I'm not trying to rationalize this really. If you think they're oversexualized that's fine. I can see how you could. But that's not really how I feel


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

evelastina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gespens View Post
Since when were boobs the entire female body? I said explicitly she is 80% covered.
breasts, being a sexual organ, that are mostly exposed when the rest of her clothing implies that she is demure, are unnecessary and soley there to cater to the male audience

like ive said before i dont care if they make sexy alternate skins. i encourage that in fact
i just hate seeing their default looks not fit their character's personalities and histories


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Fun fact...

For whatever you say about "Men" pulling all the strings, IronStylus did mention, that the artist behind Nami.. is female.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Guancyto

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimPhenom View Post
Tryndamere is a king shouldn't he wear king garbs?
KING TRYNDAMERE wears his kingly garb! He will accept no impostor.

Quote:
But Pantheon literally has his ***** just in your face (especially when he W on top of you) Why?
Protip: if King Leonidas ever turned around near you, you'd duck. Because you didn't want to get slapped with his enormous dong, nor his forged, tempered balls of steel.[/QUOTE]

Anyway, when people talk about a lack of variety in female champions, they're talking about trends. This gets misused a whole lot, but Varus' nudity is kind of the exception that proves the rule. "Well Varus/Pantheon are oversexualized too" does a reasonably good job of implying that the rest of them aren't. (TF is sexy, but his sexiness fits his character.) :P


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Garnet

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvier View Post
breasts, being a sexual organ, that are mostly exposed when the rest of her clothing implies that she is demure, are unnecessary and soley there to cater to the male audience

like ive said before i dont care if they make sexy alternate skins. i encourage that in fact
i just hate seeing their default looks not fit their character's personalities and histories
to be honest i'm tired of **** being seen as a sexual organ

their biological use is to provide food to offspring. i suppose that's why dudes find them sexy, because it symbolizes fertility? all psychology aside, i just wish boobies could be seen as milk-making machines man. milk-making machines.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

evelastina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimPhenom View Post
If everyone did what made sense in fiction... would it be entertaining?

Its Fantasy don't make sense of it. Its all we have to escape real life.
then why not have darius run around in shorts and flip flops as his default skin

you know what helps escapism? making it seem believable
like runeterra is a place that could exist somewhere and that you could see yourself there
i dont believe that a sheriff would wear a miniskirt to a battle


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

evelastina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gespens View Post
Lets use a few examples:

Why would Karma wear heavy armor?
Why would Varus wear heavy armor?
Why would Sona wear heavy armor?
Why would Swain wear heavy armor?
Why would Syndra wear heavy armor?
Why would Teemo wear heavy armor?
Why would Nidalee wear heavy armor?
Why would Udyr wear heavy armor?

so on and so forth.
practical clothing =/= heavy armor


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KínseySíx

Senior Member

11-17-2012

I feel sorry for female cosplayers.

As a bloke I have a massive range of choice. From teenage twink to weathered old man, from muscle-bound hulk to joe every-man, from lithe and graceful to short and dumpy all the way up to Gragas.

The girls have far fewer options.

1. Skinny with big boobies.
2. Skinny with unfeasably, eye-wateringly huge boobies.
3. Pre-pubescent girl.
4. Avian.

The bit I don't understand is - Riot has the entirety of human imagination to work with here, and yet we still get playboy bunnies in plant/spider/Syndra costumes over and over and over and over.

Even if it's not sexist - it's still downright lazy

I'm not sure why Riot bothers slapping anything on their female champs any more.

"Plant champion?, oh you mean like Maokai - nah bro, it's a chick, whip out the boobalicious template and throw a few leaves on it. GOLD."

"Spider Queen?, oh you mean like a grotesque, scary Urgotesque kinda thing?, - nah bro, it's a chick, whip out the boobalicious template and throw a few scraps of cloth on it. GOLD."

I think the upcoming champion is fine, I don't find her overly sexualised - at least no more so than the never ending cavalcade of playboy bunnies in costumes we already have - I think the issue is diversity, or a painful lack thereof. After the recent 'dudepocalypse' and resulting yawn from the player base you'd think they'd learn a lesson here. Guess not.

News just in - Next female champ just a giant boob that bounces around the battlefield.