Hey LoL Feminists, Take a seat

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gespens

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpandingEye View Post
:smH: you don't get it
Explain then.

ihatebikeshorts

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
There's actually been a fair number of threads in GD about character representation that were pretty civil and rather cool. It can be a bit of a heated topic, but I don't think the forum is inherently unable to discuss it. It's just a little easy to be acerbic on the Internet.
It doesn't help that Iron Stylus, and by extension the art team, sounds really two-faced when they go on LONG diatribes about how they want to change things and yet do NOTHING visible to that end and, if anything, EMBRACING the misogynist standard that gets them money as opposed to the right thing to do: Not treat women like objects that must be appealing to men above all else. It makes people who want progressive designs feel very alienated when they're promised varied designs and gets nothing in return. And Diana? Fantastic, you've added one more person to the very VERY small list of female champions whose breasts aren't accentuated, bravo. You still have 76% of female, humanoid champions who are sexualized, often unnecessarily.

In all seriousness, I wish the art team would just be straight with us: Are you working on variation or not? Because as it stands, Elise, Zyra, and Syndra are indicative of them working TOWARDS the industry standard of objectifying women for no reason other than it sells.

King GrimPhenom

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gespens View Post
Varus basically gave up his humanity and became corrupted. He has become a monster effectively that exists only to kill Noxians. Why would a 'monster' need to be clothed?
So you're using story and character traits to justify his design...

LIKE WE HAVEN'T BEEN DOING THIS SINCE THE START OF THIS TOPIC

Double standard

Warm One

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
There's actually been a fair number of threads in GD about character representation that were pretty civil and rather cool. It can be a bit of a heated topic, but I don't think the forum is inherently unable to discuss it. It's just a little easy to be acerbic on the Internet.
Hmm.... Perhaps in the future then. It would require a lot of effort to fullying engage in the topic on the level of say the Sales thread by Coreporeal (which I wanted to do), without pushing any red buttons on either side.

There really is a lot to talk about it. I'll see what I can do, but perhaps I'll wait until at least a week after Season 3 and Nami is released, so that everyone can cool their excitement on the upcoming wave of change, and the present hate comments on "yet another sexualized female" and "damn feminist threads". Not promising anything but I hope people will take in stride, without taking anything I say personally.

nuggleberries

11-17-2012

wow i cant believe this thread is still going hard.

Pennlocke

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsu Unohana 4 View Post
none of your male examples are shirtless or posing for a magazine in their splash art or in game, in fact, most of them are covered within layers and layers of clothing and intricate armor, taric and zed...reeallly?

even in your female examples you listed diana, her dark valkyrie skin could be considered as a bit sexualized but her default and intended look most certainly breaks the mold that teenage boys so desire. I think you dont understand what oversexualization of a character means

all in all if you think about it actual grown heterosexual/bisexual men and lesians dont get off on the pixel **** anyway. It's only the teenage boys who actually like that kind of unrealistic nonsense and will buy it up, which is ultimately the largest demographic in gaming- that is immature boys-.
None of them are shirtless you say? Then you go on to say "most of them" are covered in armor/clothing. So you contradicted yourself and did not realize it, or you utilized a double standard and hoped that no one would notice:

Lee Sin, Varus, Ryze, Tryndamere, Gragas. Using your wording, "shirtless".

Plus you ended your argument with an extremely condescending comment, invalidating the point you were trying to make. Please do not accuse someone of not knowing what they're talking about when you demonstrated you do not know as well. =/

Well Hungarian

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Pretty good point

I think it affects young girls.
Naive girls.
It sounds offensive, but it is true. Girls who don't know any better.

I could give 2 ****s if someone doesn't think I'm Angelina Jolie standards...but someone 5 years younger probably doesn't have the same attitude.

I think it does apply to men too. I know there is stress on guys to look a certain way. Until they hit a certain point (like I did) when you realize, who gives a ****? People are gonna like you for you or they're not. Lions don't sweat the opinions of sheep knawhatimean?!
Best post you've made so far. It actually helps me understand why there is so much fuss about this in a video game. I don't know for sure, but I am willing to guess that most of the people who have such a strong negative feeling towards the artwork in this game are among the age where they are sensitive to oversexualization.

From my point of view, I too am at the point where I don't care what someone thinks of me physically. I can see now where I was unable to relate with some of the earlier posts. Thanks for expanding my view a bit!

King GrimPhenom

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggleberries View Post
wow i cant believe this thread is still going hard.
Me either but I'm happy it is

Garnet

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Hungarian View Post
Good post.

At the end of the day, the average man knows the chances of him finding a partner that looks like Angelina Jolie...or Miss Fortune are slim. Like, just a shade above zero.

As such, the average man also knows he has just about the same chance at having the body of a male model. Women too, realize these things when they are presented with oversexualized examples.

The difference is how males and females cope with this realization. The average male will just shrug his shoulders and eat another donut. The average female will feel bad about herself. This is where the disconnect is between males and females on this subject. It is hard for men to understand a woman's point of view, as it is for a woman to understand a man's point of view.

The same people that oversexualize also provide plenty of stereotypes of feminists, adding further confusion to the mix. Each side of this subject needs to be a little more forgiving and open minded.
i'd also just like to add something:

yes, the media puts pressure on men as well. however, how does that pressure affect men in real life, really? you say most men would shrug it off, which is true. they can shrug it off because society has conditioned them, and told them from the start, that they have lots of good things going for them! they are strong, the providers; they have so many good male role models celebrated throughout history. they can be anything.

women, however, are not that lucky. there are a lot of campaigns trying to change that these days, but we're surrounded by images telling us that our worth lies in two things: our appearance, and our fertility. what if we can't have children? what if we're not that attractive? science is a man's field. math is a man's field. men can be fat, that's fine; they can still hold a job. if we're a little overweight, we're nothing. there are advertisements everywhere targeting women, telling us that if we're a little hairy, or a little overweight, we have no worth, and have to fix it immediately. that if we're attractive, we don't need anything else in life. it's ok to do nothing. all you need is a man.

historically we've been taught that it's the woman's job to be subservient, and more recently, to be sexy. we're to be sexy, but not embrace our sexuality, or else we're ****s (or just asking to get raped... but that is for another time). and if we deny any of that, try to push past it, we're 'butch', we're 'ugly', we'll 'never find a man', like these are all the worst things a woman can be.

again, this is starting to change, and i'm really happy about it! but like you said, there is a difference between the pressure the media puts on men and the pressure the media puts on women.

i'm not trying to paint women as this horrible oppressed class. just that there is a lot more to this than first meets the eye.

Maou

11-17-2012

My girlfriend is fat as **** and she doesn't give a damn how they look. She just enjoys playing the game for what it is.