Hey LoL Feminists, Take a seat

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExpandingEye

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloriforus View Post
Women in media look that way because thats what sells, thats what makes money. Its more visually pleasing to look at someone who is attractive and in shape than it is to look at someone who isnt. Going deeper into that, se.x sells. Noone expects you or any woman to look like angelina jolie, I dont expect my wife to keep her coochie shaved or get implants because her breasts arent big enough. I love my wife the way she is.

If you think women feel pressure from the media to look a certain way, then would the same not apply for men?

The same way I look at a Victoria Secret ad with a girl who has amazing breasts and a perfect body, Im sure my wife looks at a shirtless guy with a rock hard 6 pack perfect body on a mens underwear ad.
uh... *** sells

but other things sell as well, if not better than ***, especially in video games.

talentednot

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvier View Post
if you're given the option to wear full-protective gear or a minidress to a life-or-death arena

it makes a lot of sense to choose the gear
default skins should reflect their battle-clothing
whereas alternate skins can choose minidresses and battle bunnies
I think youre just getting petty about what you choose to critisize now.

Gespens

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
i dont really care what size her boobs are
i care about them needlessly flying out of her dress

look up her character model and tell me thats "80%" of her boobs covered up
anyone thats ever worn a strapless dress would know her boobs would pop out any second, or that thing would have to be tighter than a boa constrictor to stay on

also being an introvert doesnt necessarily mean youre shy
they just prefer more alone or "me" time than being in crowds
Since when were boobs the entire female body? I said explicitly she is 80% covered.

King GrimPhenom

11-17-2012

Quote:
if you're given the option to wear full-protective gear or a minidress to a life-or-death arena

If everyone did what made sense in fiction... would it be entertaining?

Its Fantasy don't make sense of it. Its all we have to escape real life.

Gespens

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:

Lets use a few examples:

Why would Karma wear heavy armor?
Why would Varus wear heavy armor?
Why would Sona wear heavy armor?
Why would Swain wear heavy armor?
Why would Syndra wear heavy armor?
Why would Teemo wear heavy armor?
Why would Nidalee wear heavy armor?
Why would Udyr wear heavy armor?

so on and so forth.

Rachel

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimPhenom View Post
Tryndamere, Pantheon and Varus are inexcusably sexualized

And you're laughable for trying to call someone gay, because considering the LARGE broad amount of subject matter in considering someone's feelings and how some people find some things offensive it mystifies me why you would say something that stupid and inconsiderate

Go home Kid, this is not your place
If we're saying sexualized as in whooaa shirtless look at da muscles, yes, I definitely agree.

Though, as it does with female champs, sometimes it works thematically. I think it works with tryndamere's character. That rough, beefy, brute, with a massive sword. Not having a shirt and exposing his roaring pectorals and crushing lats really gets across that whole manly, tough, strong dude who don't take no **** right? It does to me anyway.

I don't know about Varus, haven't played him, don't know his lore. So I can't speak for that. Same with pantheon.

Garnet

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimPhenom View Post
Well I'm very selective in what I read and watch (to filter out garbage like iCarly or anything on BET) If I believe it will interest me then I'll invest time in it otherwise I don't bother

It helps save time you see

So plz give me examples to research
http://www.businessinsider.com/these...ts-2012-4?op=1

i suppose here's a start. i'm almost drawing a blank trying to think of specific examples because it's just so prominent

this is different than sexualization in media, but even more problematic; i know there are many advertisements that make light of rape, with images of terrified women in cars (there's a specific one, but i'm having trouble finding a link. real useful, right)? also like this: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/30...files-lawsuit/

if you just google 'sexism in advertising' or 'sexism in the media', you should find a lot of examples. i'm sorry i'm not more helpful here.

i'd also suggest researching why exactly the media has a negative impact on young girls (and women, but girls especially). it's interesting and can be very eye opening

here's some places to start:
http://kalw.org/post/documentary-exa...ts-young-women
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/55283.php

ExpandingEye

11-17-2012

if you want to do a comparison in MMORPGs

look at the top selling MMORPGs and MMOs

tell me which ones have majority female sexualized characters?

talentednot

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Pretty good point

I think it affects young girls.
Naive girls.
It sounds offensive, but it is true. Girls who don't know any better.

I could give 2 ****s if someone doesn't think I'm Angelina Jolie standards...but someone 5 years younger probably doesn't have the same attitude.

I think it does apply to men too. I know there is stress on guys to look a certain way. Until they hit a certain point (like I did) when you realize, who gives a ****? People are gonna like you for you or they're not. Lions don't sweat the opinions of sheep knawhatimean?!
I completely agree, young girls are very impressionable and I do see the influence of the media affecting the youth of today.

Good point yourself, Respect.

Guancyto

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I don't know about Varus, haven't played him, don't know his lore. So I can't speak for that. Same with pantheon.
Pantheon's the guy from 300, basically. Ultimate warrior, trained all his life in a culture of steel and arms and fire. Reguar sexualized could make a case for over, makes sense to be big, beefy and not wear a lot of clothes. (Note that I say the guy from 300, not a Spartan. Spartans wore armor, dammit!)

Varus has no reason to be naked, but he is. Oversexualized, and usually cited as the male example of such.