Hey LoL Feminists, Take a seat

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Khranz

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambawarrior0 View Post
Lets give Taric a helmet, Ezreal a suit of armor, make Rugged Garen put his helmet on, give Mantheon some proper armor, and make Varus put some clothes on.
How DARE you suggest Mantheon cover his testosterone fueled pectoral awesomeness!

Valkymie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimPhenom View Post
See Irelia, Lux, Karma, Annie, Anivia, Caitlyn

Hold on Cait? She's is wearing a Dress! You act like that type of dress is UNCOMMON she can't wear a dress?!

WTF? Are you a Nun?
wait birds and children have boobs?
im sorry but giving 4 valid examples does not excuse the 30+ that outweigh it

a strapless dress is not practical in a battle environment
given how low it is it would either have to be tight as all hell to stay on (restricting breathing and flexibility) or it would slip off as soon as she raises her arms to aim for the kill

lets not forget the fact that a sheriff is supposed to be a respected authority in their town, not dressed like a halloween costumer (also i heard somewhere her dressed was based on a saloon girl's attire? which is silly because a) saloon dresses even cover more than that and b) saloon dresses wouldn't necessary be battle appropriate too)

i dont care if she has a skin with a minidress
i care that her "canon" look is oversexualised despite this being a game that supposedly focuses on heroes and villains fighting for their lives. i highly doubt looking good is higher on their list than protecting their bodies.

Rachel

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetasphere View Post
If Rachel didn't make the thread complaining about it, then no one should care.
How I feel every day of my life!!!

DaMiTzNhan

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Huh?
Actually I think it's more often people who havent experience inequality are the ones who are ANTI-feminist.

It's like people born into privilege are more likely to not understand what it's like to starve, or know the value of a dollar, etc etc.

Just because I am LUCKY to not experience inequality, doesn't mean others are. And I can see that.
You need to give the League demographic their daily privilege check .

Valkymie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
So "tough" people have to dress tough?

Cait is supposed to look butch?

She can't where a dress because she's tough, that's like me not being able to wear a bandana because I'm not a gangster

So someone is not able to dress like a woman, because they're tough

Your logic is infallible
because you cant dress like a woman unless you're wearing a minidress
sorry for anyone out there with jeans on
you're butch

Well Hungarian

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khranz View Post
How DARE you suggest Mantheon cover his testosterone fueled pectoral awesomeness!
Outrage!!!

King GrimPhenom

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by suns song View Post
mad or not, you seem very invested in this topic.

she is also one of my favourite ad carries, ridiculous dress be damned. given what we know about the character, she probably wouldn't have chosen a dress. she's a sheriff. she is a serious woman. she probably spends most of her time outside of the office chasing down criminals. an outfit like that is not conducive to that sort of activity. the only reason she's in an outfit like the one she has is to pander to the male gaze. that's it. logically, she would not be wearing that sort of outfit on the fields of justice. that's the problem i'm talking about.

(and yes, the male gaze can be problematic. its inclusion in league of legends is not my Number One Concern, but it exists, and it's uncool.)

i will grant you that she is a fictional character and we don't know everything about her very fictitious life. maybe she would wear a dress. do i think she, or anyone who would be romping about a muddy field, dodging laser beams and rifle shots, would be wearing a short mini dress and high heels? no, i don't.

you can think 'well what's saying she wouldn't wear a dress' but everything that we know about her leads to the idea that no, she probably wouldn't, at least not to go to work.
iirc she caught all the criminals, so her off time should be her time right? Only one person eluded her. (Mister 'C') So she came to league not to hunt bad guys, she's in training

She's slightly flirty ("Sorry boys I left the fuzzy cuffs at home"), sporty ("Would you prefer the good cop? Or the bad Cop"), and more light hearted ("Wanna see a hat trick?") about things in her dialogue, so given that it seems she actually likes to be a woman. She seems to take her training in the league as sporty and thus she may have grabbed a more casual dress as if she's just going to a gun range

The super serious champ you're describing is Vayne lol and you can dictate she's gonna dress like a scary ghost librarian because of her dialogue and her story
and lo was it so!

Good argument though

Edit: How did I get downvoted for an accurate theory? how about some counter argument instead of downvoting plz?

Garnet

11-17-2012

i'm just going to say one last thing, i think

aside from a few whiteknights and a few radical feminists, i don't think it's LoL's portrayal of female characters that is anyone's chief concern. it's the underlying problem behind it that is a concern. i acknowledge that a lot of people have trouble getting that point across, but there are just as many people stamping their feet and refusing to see farther than 'feminist! feminist! alert! must discount at all costs!'

there is a reason that most portrayals of female characters, not just in LoL, but in most media, are of the scantily clad vixen we see. it could be simplified to '*** sells', sure, but it's deeper than that, and it affects a lot of women on a daily basis.

almost every female character we see in the media is big bosomed, thin, and often vapid. if she isn't vapid, then she has to be attractive. if you are not attractive, then you have no worth. attractiveness is everything. in many cases, women and female characters are brought down to simply being objects. and that's not cool.

there's a reason anorexia is rampant in young girls. there's a reason so many women have no self esteem. there's a reason so many men - and even women, as shown by responses to LoL threads - hold extremely misogynistic views and think it's ok to hold them.

it's not the way LoL champions look. it's the reason why they look that way that is the problem.

i apologize for not being very good with words, i never claimed i was articulate

SNSD Tiffanyx

11-17-2012

Quote:
Stop complaining about Female designs in league

Its fantasy and for ****s sake let the artists who design the champs realize their fantasies

Nobody cares that Elise has breasts she was once a woman

Nobody cares that outfits are revealing because Varus is practically naked and we (being men) haven't said a damn thing about him or Taric's Design

What's the problem, why do you keep bringing up female champ design? A woman who doesn't even EXIST having breasts and a decent figure is BAD to you?

Why is breasts such an issue with you people? Why is their figure such an issue? Tell me why ?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UIYWRF9UAW...ic_comp_06.jpg

women logic

ExpandingEye

11-17-2012

Hi Grim Phenom:

I appreciate you making this topic and making an effort. However, when someone says "i want variety",( i.e. not, "i hate boobs" or "i am a woman hear me roar") or doesn't say anything specific regarding what they want or who they are, and then several accusations and assumptions are made about how someone thinks, feels, etc. that are on top - wrong - it makes it harder to communicate.