Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

New player - inactive player!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fenris Ethelwulf

11-16-2012

So just for those who think I don't read the stickys, I did read them. I did, and I'm certain that this thread does not break them at all (if they do, please bring it to light for I am certain I can debunk it). Regardless, getting to the point of this post. I must say, this game is not FUN AT ALL. I just started 3-5 days ago. I don't spend my whole days in here, playing 24/7... I'm a college student and have a job. Still, I joined this game because my cousin and my brother play this game, However, I don't see a reason why to keep on going. Everyone I've played with are jerks!

I have watch the video tutorial and have played through them. I understand the importance of buying upgrade from the item show, I know that the suggested items from the store are are highlighted by the game and that buying individual parts is better than saving money for the whole thing. I learned that if you are fighting a losing battle, run to safety, run past your turret so that the enemy champion won't follow you (since turrets do a lot of damage against champions. I know from my cousin and brother to never face an opponent whose level is higher than yours.

Still, I cannot help but lose or get my character killed. That's fine with me halfway (I mean, no one likes losing but someone has to lose. There is a winning team and a losing team). The problem is, the harassment of being a newbie! Worthless, garbage, pathetic... this is what most players describe me! A newbie, I don't know the ropes of this game, I don't know the strategies or the abilities of every champion! Cut me some slack! I didn;t join this game to teabag and insult players, but because those close to me, who enjoy the game, told me it was addictive and fun.

I wish I could enjoy the game, but even as I was skyping (skype) with my bro while playing a game, I read a message from a guy saying he was gonna report me because I was doing "nothing", while I was fighting [AI's] on the top of the map and getting killed and spending time looking at what upgrades to buy. Literally, the only apology I got was when I went off and told someone I was new to the game and I apologized for "sucking so bad".

phatmonkey91

11-17-2012

the player base when entering the game truly sux. If someone gets a kill they think they are the best player in the world, and think they have earned the right to yell at and demean people (at least that was my experience) but as you get higher up and play with more experienced players the community gets way better (again that was my experience) Learn the basics (things like farming, building, when to push, when not to, warding along with thier proper places) and you will eventually start doing better and will eventually not have to play with ppl who are legitmently jack-wagons.

Aintnomark08

11-17-2012

Yea in the game you'll run into some pretty messed up players. Though at the same time you run into some really cool ppl whether you win or lose. I've made some friends of the opposing teams before after losing or winning a match

JadothBloodreign

11-17-2012

I've got the same problem. I'm not very good at the game and I just happened to fall in with groups and people who carried me through games until I was at a level way above where I should be. I no longer play against players because I've lost the past 8 or 9 games I've played due to me being "stupid" or "blind" or "bad". Players on your own team tend to be more cruel than players on the other team, strangely enough.

This game does have a very high learning curve though, it's hard to get started on your own - especially when you're getting stomped on by the other team and berated by your team. I'm pretty darn awful at this game, but if you would like, I can take you through a couple bot games and try to help you with some things.

mambawarrior0

11-17-2012

It's probably worth noting that if you queue up with higher leveled/skilled friends, the other players in the game will typically be more experienced than you, and vice versa.

Treshure

11-17-2012

The problem is, is that LoL is an extremely sharp learning curve and you got to adapt quickly or you will get harassed. The thing is, it only takes getting pass level 15 or level 20 and you literally go into a brighter side of LoL. If you do not wish to play Ranked, playing Drafted picks gets you into a much more nice and friendly environment when playing PvP. If you want help as to improve in the game, feel free to add me, as my forum name is my summoner name.

jlmoss

11-18-2012

For those TLDR folks: Play defensively. Stay with your turrets, the minions will come to you. Follow more experienced team members if you do venture past your turret with any significance.

LoL isn't that sharp of a learning curve. I'm a new player and getting the hang of it quite well. Read the howto's in the different forums sections.

Most important piece of advice I've gotten when being a newbie... play defensively and don't play on your own. Even if it's a partner you don't know, go to top or bottom lane that has another player. Stay near your own turret and let the minions come to you.

If your lane partner wants to push, push with him but stay safely behind/near him/her until you can determine if your lane partner is anything worth his/her salt. If not, your partner gets killed, you run back to your own turret and you continue to defend your turret. If your partner knows how to play much, good on ya, you are about to get a nice lesson in how to play LoL, follow/stick close and learn how the game is played and contribute as much help as you can give.

If you really want to play by yourself and you think you've read up enough to take mid lane, research a nice & easy ranged champion and go for it. Switch your characters up every once in a while. I like to keep a decent bit of knowledge on a caster, utility/tank/jungler, and melee dps. Veigar/Skarner/the barbarian guy with axes (name escapes me at the moment) although, I think I should switch to a stealth champ like the rat guy for melee dps. I think he'll would be fun. Read up on the three different champs you select and practice them. If you get tired of one of them, switch/buy another champ and learn them. That's pretty much how you learn the game.

That's pretty much all I've learned so far. I don't get to play often either. Maybe 1 or 2 times during the work week, & 3 - 4 times a day on the weekends but I've gotten up to level 11 so far, and have found playing defensively to be the best bet for noobs like you and me. hehe

Oh, one thing on the jungling in these early levels. Stick to a lane until level 3 or 4, then break off if you find that your teammate is competent enough to defend/control the top lane.

This also means going against the early game strategy that most bring out for their jungling champs. For instance, Skarner is touted to be best in the jungle leveling up Q first. But in order to properly aggrivate the enemy for my first 3 to 4 levels, I usually level E once at the beginning, then work on Q.

Anyways, stick it out. From what I've read so far, the game only gets better. I'm on the east coast server (if that matters, not sure if can team up cross servers), friend me. If you wanna play a bit and I'm on, we can team up and queue a match. :-)

jlmoss

11-18-2012

Oh! One more thing I've found very handy...

Be the better person. If someone is being mean in chat. Just ignore and apologize/tell them, they are right. It'll shut them up quicker than anything and maybe even change their demeanor to something helpfull.

From the rages I've had and have experienced in online mmo/pvp games, your supposed teammates are playing to have fun, escape from general life...

If they are having a bad day, their emotions may inadvertently bleed through sometimes. It happens, most of the times, the aggressor feels bad for doing it after a while. Everyone has done it... it's just the reality of online games. You can either fight against it, or go with the flow and move on. hehe

Kaalika

11-18-2012

Quote:
Treshure:
The problem is, is that LoL is an extremely sharp learning curve and you got to adapt quickly or you will get harassed. The thing is, it only takes getting pass level 15 or level 20 and you literally go into a brighter side of LoL. If you do not wish to play Ranked, playing Drafted picks gets you into a much more nice and friendly environment when playing PvP. If you want help as to improve in the game, feel free to add me, as my forum name is my summoner name.

It's not at all brighter past level 20. When I was level 5 they said it's better past level 10. After level 10 they told me 20. It's past 20 now and still horrible.

Don't lie to the newbies, it doesn't get better.

Also be very careful not to add people you don't know irl to your friendslist, trolls will pretend to be nice people in one game then invite you and try to get you reported. Had to delete 90% of my friends list for that behavior and the game hasn't been fun for two weeks now since I'm in a constant cycle of being matched with trolls and feeders who don't try to win then refuse to surrender so you're just stuck for 10-30 more minutes in a game that's just not positive at all. I stop playing after two trolled games but it's been weeks now unless I manage to get a good team vs bots when I first log on.

You can't do Draft without a big stable of champions available to you. I think it's 16. So maybe it's better in Draft but runes are so expensive you can't get that many champs early on.

xAngelicDevilx

11-18-2012

I find more nice people in the beginner bot/intermediate bot games... So far I have not ran into any ''trolls'' or feeders that just want to make fun of me... It took me 3 weeks of dying and trying before I even started doing any good in beginner bots! Haha, and then it took many losses before my first intermediate bot win... but now, at a month of playing, I am lvl 30 and a lot more confident... mute/report the evil people, ignore the hateful words... it gets funner as you learn. I have almost 100 friends and I talk to/play with most of them on a regular basis. It's funner for me to add someone and play with friends I met on here at least rather than nobody I know... at least then they do not yell at me when I make a mistake (which... I always do). Good luck, have fun.