Level 23 and still a noob, need help, wanna be pro

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NeoGriim

11-16-2012

Hello, I've been playing for a while, mostly vs. bots but a good couple PvP matches. I got about 50 wins under my belt however I feel like my ELO is incredibly low. I actually stopped playing at level 19 for about 6 months for a move and just picked the game back up about a month ago and gained 4 levels. I'm almost level 24 now however I still haven't been able to find a playstyle that works for me.

The reason I've showed up in this forum is cause I was just exploring and tried to hop in the draft pick pvp just to try it out and I recieved a ton of verbal abuse cause when they asked me to pick an adc (AD Carry I believe) I picked evelynn anyway cause the only runes I have are AP runes for the most part. So they bashed me for 20 minutes, calling me a newb, telling me I lost the game for them ,blah blah blah, and I don't know if it was all that or if it's true, but I started to feel like I was indeed a newb.

Anyway, now that I've told you my life story, I was actually hoping that if I got on here and posted I may be lucky enough to find someone that would like to mentor someone and eventually team up and have someone to play the game with rather than just doing all the matches I do solo.

Even if you don't want to pick a newb up and take him under your wing, I could use some advice on playing. I've been buying champ after champ trying to find one that I like enough to make my main champ and learn to kick butt with them, but I haven't been able to find one I like a enough to call them my main character.

Any advice in finding someone I might like, or anything like that would be incredibly helpful. Thanks for reading my rant and I hope I can find some help.

Kyrie Friegraf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

Life story aside, I'll answer any questions you want to throw at me. I don't have wings to pick noobs up with, but I do have a (nearly) empty friend's list.

NeoGriim

11-16-2012

Okay, I guess I'll fire questions as they come to me.

To start, what do you think is the best position to play for a beginner, to learn the mechanics of the game and improve their skills.

Also, besides "recommended" what do you think is the best character type to start with when trying to learn the game.

Kyrie Friegraf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGriim View Post
Okay, I guess I'll fire questions as they come to me.

To start, what do you think is the best position to play for a beginner, to learn the mechanics of the game and improve their skills.

Also, besides "recommended" what do you think is the best character type to start with when trying to learn the game.
Since each player is different and plays differently, plus a person's history of gaming affects what they play, there's no universal champion type that all noobs play easily. You can pick up your basic information in all but jungler and support roles, since they don't last hit minions. It would be better to suggest easy champions rather than easy meta roles since you need to be proficient at all of them.

Once you master a good number of the recommended champions, though, you'll have a good idea of what you like to play.

Some people think you should support first since your mechanical skills are initially not that great and supports don't do much but heal and harass, but that is a deceptively difficult role to play. You'll essentially be trying to win for someone else's sake, and that requires a different mind set from the rest.

Playing ADC will demand that you are able to get the killing blow on every minion that comes down the lane. Other lanes need the skill too, but you almost can't play ADC without having the ability to last hit.

Mid is more of a dance. It's one of the harder lanes to play since counterpicks are prevalent and effective in mid, plus either jungler can gank from one of seven different directions. You have you last hit here, too, but you also have to harass your enemy as well as win the lane. Plus, most mids have to gank to keep up, since that's part of their appeal.

Top is where the counterpicks are the most punishing. The strongest champions can run rampant up here with a single ward since they are fast and brutal early game and there's realistically only two ways for a jungler to gank. Once someone gets an edge top, they can take that to the end of the game always keeping an advantage. You can lose your advantage easily, though.

Jungling taxes your knowledge and judgement more than your mechanical ability. You have to judge which lane can use a gank the most, and not just gank the ones that are losing indiscriminately. Plus there's general things junglers can do; they can invade, they can ward problem areas, they can fight the other jungler. They have to be aware; they can't just run from camp to camp killing things all game and expect to win reliably.

Treshure

11-17-2012

Please add me ingame, I could coach you ingame! (Treshure)

Now, to your questions. For a semi new player, I suggest doing impulsive things! Feel like diving a tower to kill that low leveled champion? DO IT! Feel like taking on a fed champion with low health? DO IT! Feel like doing stupid ****? DO IT! The reason why I am saying this is because you learn from your mistakes and this is VITAL for LoL. It's a sharp learning curve so you can't have people tell you "Don't dive that..." or "Don't do that..." and learning the hard way is the best way to do it. Eventually, you can shape out your champion's weaknesses and strengths!

As for your 2 questions, who should you play? Anyone you want. You first got to ask yourself: Do you want to be a killing machine (AD carry or AP Carry, or Assassin.), do you want to be the guy that never dies? (Tank.), do you want to be the guy who does sneak attacks and wrecks people at their weak point? (Jungler.) or do you want to help out people? (Support.) these are all vital roles in the game, and nothing is more important than the other. Once you figure out your role, just find a champion that goes under that role and check out the abilities. Like it? Stick to it, then become good at it!

I will happily coach you on playing with your champion and perfecting it, or "take you under your wing". Goodluck!

Aintnomark08

11-17-2012

Dont hesitate to invite, please feel free to add me as well Aintnomark08 I just like playing and helping out players who enjoy this game.

NeoGriim

11-19-2012

Thanks for all the advice guys. The last couple of days I've had to work so I haven't had much time to get on here or even play the game (One or two games a day). I figured I'd go back to basics and use a recommended champ that I already had or was cheap to buy. I tried Ashe first and she's fun but doesn't have much utility and isn't that fun to play, so I looked at another one I had gotten, Tristana, and found that she is actually really fun to play with her rocket jump and her ult.

I played her for a couple of games as ADC, and it was okay but kinda felt like ashe without a good slow. But then I went and looked up some different builds and saw an AP build for her. Figured, what the heck, I'll go into a bot game and try it out. I LOVE it. I mean talk about easy ganks. Also I gotta say she's great for learning this way. She's weak as heck so you have to have quick reflex to get away from fights you know you can't win because you'll be cut down quick. She's got a good escape to use with the rocket jump and her pushback isn't bad either with her ult. I think I'm gonna call her my main for a while and get really good with her, even create my own build with her to make her a little bit more beefy.

I've also realized it's not about picking a main character. What I need to do is pick at least 3 mains and get the runes for them. I think I'm gonna have my killer, my tank and my support characters lined up. Tristana can be built for both ADC and APC Nuke which makes her a really good character to main because she fits both situations really well. Maokai may become my tank champ because I just happen to like him even though I've just bought him this week. Next, I gotta buy a good support champ. I'm thinking Janna but I also have Alllister which he could both tank and support at the same time so that might be best.

I'll have to play a couple games with Allister now to see if I'm good with him so he can be my tank and support character, which would mean I would only need a jungle and I got most roles covered. Nunu is definitely my jungler, even with half a setup for jungling he does really good at both jungle and counter jungling.

So yeah, that's what I've been up to, thinking and playing a very small amount. I've got all 3 characters I plan on playing in my arsenal now I just need to save up and get runes. However I would like a couple extra. So I guess I should ask, what's a really good starter support character. Perhaps an underdog, or maybe one that has a bit more killing potential for being a support. I can see that only playing 3 character may get kinda boring so I figured adding a 4th full support may keep me from stopping the game.

SomniumProxy

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGriim View Post
So yeah, that's what I've been up to, thinking and playing a very small amount. I've got all 3 characters I plan on playing in my arsenal now I just need to save up and get runes. However I would like a couple extra. So I guess I should ask, what's a really good starter support character. Perhaps an underdog, or maybe one that has a bit more killing potential for being a support. I can see that only playing 3 character may get kinda boring so I figured adding a 4th full support may keep me from stopping the game.

Soraka is a good classic support and only costs 450 IP. If you want something more agressive, look up Leona or Taric.

Having main champs is good, but honestly one of the best ways to go about the game is to play as many champions as possible and you feel comfortable with. Even if you don't play them a lot or endup never bothering with them again, it will still be invaluable experience. Knowing how champions work is key when playing against them, or even having them as allies. You'll also be surprised to find out that some champs just really fit your style and are much easier to play.

To do this, you don't have to spend any IP, just try the free champs every week.

Also, you don't have to completely toss aside your mains, come back to them whenever you feel like it.

As a final note, there are some champs that really teach you good habbits that you'll transition to other champs. For example I never truly understood the importance of picking wraiths as mid until I started playing Morde, and now I try to do this with every mid whenever possible.

NeoGriim

11-19-2012

Solid advice Somnium. Thank you. I'll probably get Soraka just cause she's so cheap, even if just to try her or have some heavy support.

Fs Son0fSilas

11-19-2012

^ Taric is the support most often picked in Ranked for good reason. He has a single target stun, a passive aura that grants armor to his team and shreds the armor of the enemy when activated, a solid heal that keeps himself and his lane mate sustained, and an ult that buffs AD and AP for his team when activated while dealing damage in AoE. He benifits the most from aura items as the synergize with his kit.

Leona is a CC machine. She has a stun, an AoE slow/stun, and she can pull herself to targets while they are immobilized for a very short duration. On top of Exhaust she has the ability to lock down targets for long periods of time. Her passive "Sunlight" will increase the damage out put of the ADC she is laning with, leading to he being one of, if not the most aggressive support in the game. She is also very naturally tanky.

Along with Alistar, these three are my go to supports.