Playing for fun vs playing to win

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RHINO Mk II

10-07-2010

Lately I have noticed that it is much more difficult to win in solo queue unless I play a hard carry champion. When I pick a champion who is fun to play, such as gragas or singed or many other unique and interesting champions, I tend to end up on the losing team regardless of my own performance in the match. It doesn't really matter if gragas goes 11/2/18 when his carry has 14 deaths. Even if gragas has better map awareness than his carry and warns him to get back before a potential gank, the carry will still die if they refuse to communicate or listen to helpful advice from their teammates.

As a player who prefers tanks, supports, and mages, this is extremely frustrating.

When I play in an arranged team, I will always pick a champion that will complement my own team effectively, even when it involves something boring such as jungling for the first 5 minutes of the game. I feel that it is unfair to my team to play a champion that I enjoy if it jeopardizes our chances of winning. I take the game seriously when I play with an arranged team. Fortunately, since I know who my carries are, I can often play a character that I enjoy a reasonable amount and still contribute to the team.

I feel that the problem with LoL at the moment is this: in premade teams, I don't want to pick a champion that is fun to play over a champion who will help my team. In solo queue, I don't want to pick a champion that is fun to play over a champion that can carry my team in case I have poor teammates that will otherwise guarantee a loss.

ImBaTastic

10-07-2010

Welcome to elo hell. Where self assumed ''pro players'' all pick carries, 5 of them in fact. May your stay be pleasant here.

zankioh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-07-2010

You are talking ranked right?
Cause in normal games who cares.. you should always have fun I think. If you hate the champ you might just bring a lower performance

Amiithystine

10-07-2010

Playing for fun = Eve ( fun champ, but you lose)

Playing to win = Amumu/Shen/Annie/Galio Apparently ect. (often boring champs, but you win)

unfortunately, there is little compromise.

RHINO Mk II

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by zankioh View Post
You are talking ranked right?
Cause in normal games who cares.. you should always have fun I think. If you hate the champ you might just bring a lower performance
I only play arranged teams in ranked. Why would I want to be rated based on the performance of 4 players I have never met before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBaTastic View Post
Welcome to elo hell. Where self assumed ''pro players'' all pick carries, 5 of them in fact. May your stay be pleasant here.
My normal queue Elo was somewhere around 1700 back when it was viewable in the game files, but thanks for your support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COAmadeus View Post
Playing for fun = Eve ( fun champ, but you lose)

Playing to win = Amumu/Shen/Annie/Galio Apparently ect. (often boring champs, but you win)

unfortunately, there is little compromise.
My best compromise so far is Anivia, who does amazingly well when played correctly and is generally a blast to play. The problems arise when my solo queue teammates do silly things like take the golem buff with master Yi, or get used to me saving them with slows, stun, and wall and then overextend a bit too far. Or run away from the 1 enemy attacking my egg when they are at half hp.

whail

10-07-2010

I think everyone plays for fun, it is just that the degree to which winning equates to fun varies significantly between people (spectrum from trolls to pro gamers). If you aren't having fun while playing a game, you might as well go not-have-fun doing something productive.

But yeah, all the "pro" suggestions I see for solo queue recommend that people play a carry, so that probably doesn't help the over-saturation problem. And while there will be times where your individual performance can't affect a game's outcome (a stomp win OR loss), there will be times when your marginal contribution is the difference between a win/loss. I still remember this close game where I was TF and a big team battle was going on mid, and I had to choose between gating to the fight and gating to BD their nexus with no towers... gated to the battle, we lost the battle and then the game. The "what if" of that game will haunt me forever

Nagus

10-07-2010

I'm the same way. I feel inclined to play a Jungling tank when everyone locks in a hard carry 5 seconds into Champ Select. If I choose otherwise it's almost like I'm making the team lose. Even if I wanted to play someone else, I will still play Amumu for the 5th time if I think it helps us win.

This leads to high frustration when the carry/ies goes 0-5 and you've gotten 2 dragons as Amumu, warded the place, been the ***** to pretty much everything.

TheChiatroll

10-07-2010

I don't know. Different people define fun differently.

Sometimes I'm in the mood to carry and I will play someone like trist or twitch who can do that.

Sometimes I just want to teemo around.

Lingerjoose

10-07-2010

Winning is fun.

Big And Harry

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO Mk II View Post
Lately I have noticed that it is much more difficult to win in solo queue unless I play a hard carry champion. When I pick a champion who is fun to play, such as gragas or singed or many other unique and interesting champions, I tend to end up on the losing team regardless of my own performance in the match. It doesn't really matter if gragas goes 11/2/18 when his carry has 14 deaths. Even if gragas has better map awareness than his carry and warns him to get back before a potential gank, the carry will still die if they refuse to communicate or listen to helpful advice from their teammates.

As a player who prefers tanks, supports, and mages, this is extremely frustrating.

When I play in an arranged team, I will always pick a champion that will complement my own team effectively, even when it involves something boring such as jungling for the first 5 minutes of the game. I feel that it is unfair to my team to play a champion that I enjoy if it jeopardizes our chances of winning. I take the game seriously when I play with an arranged team. Fortunately, since I know who my carries are, I can often play a character that I enjoy a reasonable amount and still contribute to the team.

I feel that the problem with LoL at the moment is this: in premade teams, I don't want to pick a champion that is fun to play over a champion who will help my team. In solo queue, I don't want to pick a champion that is fun to play over a champion that can carry my team in case I have poor teammates that will otherwise guarantee a loss.
Because ranged carries shouldnt need to farm for 20 mins to do anything..id rather just play a different game than play any ranged carry other than ezreal, who is at least fun