Please Explain...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deãth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

Can someone explain to me why people say a hatred for homosexuals is homophobia. Is it impossible to just have a hate for something?

Semper Damnatus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

well actually homophobia is a fear of homosexuals, so the way people use it is wrong to begin with.

Shuga Buns

11-16-2012

As Morgan Freeman has said, nobody is homophobic because they are not scared, they are just *******s. I don't believe that anyone is homophobic.

EDIT: My bad. He never said that, but it was attributed to him.

Jesus the Friend

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFedeles View Post
well actually homophobia is a fear of homosexuals, so the way people use it is wrong to begin with.
This.

Homo = Same.
Phobia = Fear.

Together they are... WYLD STALLYNS!

Kohana Sushi

11-16-2012

This question makes me throw up a little.

Deãth

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity Flowers View Post
This question makes me throw up a little.
Why's that?

Jaykoboy

11-16-2012

He's asking a simple question; why do we give a term to something like this? It may be really, really mean, but he's wondering why we don't call hatred of anything _____phobia.

The simple answer was stated above. Homophobia is the actual fear of homosexuals. It is not the hatred of them; you could be completely homosexual-tolerant but not be able to stand within ten feet of them. It doesn't sound logical, but think of it this way...

I like spiders. I think they're cool. I think they're useful. But I'm scared to death of them. I don't hate spiders, but I still have arachnophobia. The same works for homophobia.

Deãth

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykoboy View Post
He's asking a simple question; why do we give a term to something like this? It may be really, really mean, but he's wondering why we don't call hatred of anything _____phobia.

The simple answer was stated above. Homophobia is the actual fear of homosexuals. It is not the hatred of them; you could be completely homosexual-tolerant but not be able to stand within ten feet of them. It doesn't sound logical, but think of it this way...

I like spiders. I think they're cool. I think they're useful. But I'm scared to death of them. I don't hate spiders, but I still have arachnophobia. The same works for homophobia.
See i completely agree with this, but why does society say that only for homosexuals a dislike is fear? And further more if you can understand that they aren't the same, why can't others?

Quision

11-16-2012

I fear spiders and that's why I kill them, regardless of innocence. Does that mean I hate spiders?

Jaykoboy

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deth View Post
See i completely agree with this, but why does society say that only for homosexuals a dislike is fear? And further more if you can understand that they aren't the same, why can't others?
Because it has been scientifically proven that human beings are morons.