How powerful is Promote in 1v1?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Creepy4

11-16-2012

Simple question based on recent experience. How powerful is promote? Did a 1v1 with a friend earlier today, each of us on smurf accounts (so that we used no runes or masteries) and I got destroyed despite having significantly better cs, significantly more kills, and being a lot better at consistently landing my skillshots.

I feel as though her promoted minions made a huge difference. It was like playing 2v1 for the majority of the game.

(Also I'm rather embarrassed to have lost to someone who has been playing for years and still thinks things like: "carries are strongest in the early-game", and "dying doesn't matter as long as you constantly push your lane".)

Fs Son0fSilas

11-16-2012

In an actual 1v1 lane (top and mid) I don't think it would be very usefull...however I've seen it suggested for Soraka and Heimer mid. Having fought a Heimer with Promote I can tell you it's actually a rather tough lane to win.

I also understand certain supports can take it bot and use it to some affect.

In higher levels they will flame you for it, it's not something to be done in solo queue.

TehomCD

11-16-2012

Depends on the matchup, but the minion itself is pretty beefy. They're moving promote to an item called 'Banner of Command' shortly that will build out of blasting wand and emblem of valor, and I think it could see viable play on a lot of champions who could now run teleport/flash with it either top or midlane. I want to try it on champs like Teemo or Malzahar, for example.

Fs Son0fSilas

11-16-2012

^ with the removal of HoG I can see emblem of valor being a "so-so" alternative purchase

phatmonkey91

11-16-2012

promote can work great with certain champs especailly those who can have a massive map preseance. I once ran it on singed and roflstomped my lane due to teh fact that I was farming behind the enemy turret (allowing for not only a massive minion wave at the turret but also a promoted minion). Promoted minions are highly underrated imo but right now there are better spells to be using. Its good to note that you get any gold that the promoted minion would give u from obtaining a last hit on a minion. I would say that for the most part its not worth running over ignite, unless ur in a premade and you and your team are very cordinated. When i did it i was in a 4 man premade and only the adc was not in our chat. Knowing what your teammates are planning can allow you to use it more effectively. An example would be a group push of mid and u promote one in either the top or bot lane, This could cause a 5v5 situation under an enemy turret to turn into a 5v4 in your favor as either they have to give up a turret or defend teh tower. Overall tho I would say its better to run ignite.

qhoul

11-17-2012

Think of it this way.
If you take promote instead of say flash, what happens if they jump on you? You can't promote a minion to save you.
What if you take it instead of exhaust? That minion isn't going to slow.
What if you take it instead of heal? That heal might save your life - that minion won't heal you.
If you take in instead of ignite, what if they have a killing spree, and you easily beat them late game, but without the ignite, they escape with the smallest fraction of health?
Sure promote holds your lane when you B, but I don't exactly think it's that helpful. The minion can heavily damage turrets if allowed to just sit there and attack it, but to be honest, on a level out of 1-10 on how useful? It's a 1-2/10.