Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Executioners Calling

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WhackedRak

11-20-2012

Is a crit chance / lifesteal item toxic to the game since they're both stats that scale super well with AD? The new executioners is easier for bruisers to pick up late game, but not adc's anymore. The problem is, they took away a viable option for top laners to stop the opposing snowball effect by making it more expensive and forcing you to go all in to see the reduced healing effect as opposed to gimping their sustain from afar when they attempt to sustain back up while your abilities are on CD.

Honestly I don't see how top lane is in a better spot than season 2. They took away the very needed HoG for the player behind, and now executioners is much farther out of reach. The lack of 4 extra blocked minion damage isn't going to stop sustain champs from freezing and completely zoning the opponent they've 2-0'd due to jungle ganks. At this point, a lvl 6 top laner can double kill his lvl 4 opponent and his lvl 4 jungler who tries to help.

WhackedRak

11-20-2012

Bump

WhackedRak

11-22-2012

I don't know how to build AD crit Jayce now without executioners for my life steal !!

Takhuan

11-22-2012

I did prefer the active because you could go toe to toe with someone lifesteal to lifesteal and then break it out as a surprise trump card. I guess it can still be done with morello's evil tome.

It can be useful for ad carry vs ad carry when the other ad carry has lots of bt stacks. You got crit and shut down his life steal, he got a bt and thought he was gonna be ahead all game with those stacks.

I still think the item should upgrade with some late game stat like attackspeed or armor penetration.

Kestz

11-22-2012

the new one is just terrible. The enemy won't have 5 Mundos on their team so having an item only worth its cost against 1 out of 5 enemies and utterly trash against the other 4 is just bad design.

namora

11-22-2012

Quote:
Kestz:
the new one is just terrible. The enemy won't have 5 Mundos on their team so having an item only worth its cost against 1 out of 5 enemies and utterly trash against the other 4 is just bad design.

except when you have Mundo top, WW jungling, fiddlesticks mid, Soraka support and any RAdc who builds BT, which is when you "BUILD" it. As in, you don't need it against non-sustain inherent/building champs.

Anyways, I like the change they made to it, but I think it's a bit overpriced for what it's offering and I wouldn't get it unless the other team has a ton of sustain champs and we only have a couple ignites.(a couple ignites? not here LoL)

CellularAutomata

11-22-2012

My issue with the suggested change makes it a must buy item. I feel like it makes it less of an option for top laners and more of a you lose if you didn't build it.

Zerosandones

11-22-2012

It's a situational buy. They have a Mundo? Probably worth grabbing. Honestly I think the cheap, easily sustained healing debuff this offers will really be a harder counter to Mundo than ignite already is.

Dremiist

11-22-2012

Quote:
WhackedRak:
Let's discuss the new Executioner's Calling

OLD:
Executioner's Calling
Item Cost: 1350 Recipe Cost: 500 +18% Life Steal +15% Critical Strike Chance
UNIQUE Passive: Your basic attacks apply a mark to the target that deals 4 bonus magic damage each second for 8 seconds.
UNIQUE Active: Inflicts target enemy champion with Grievous Wound,causing 50% reduced healing and regeneration for 8 seconds (20 second cooldown).
Built from Vampiric Scepter and Brawlers Gloves

NEW:
Executioner's Calling
Item Cost: 1850 Recipe Cost: 700 +25 Attack Damage +15% Critical Strike Chance
UNIQUE Passive: Your basic attacks inflict Grievous Wounds on enemy champions for 1.5 seconds.
(Grievous wounds reduces healing and regeneration by 50%)
Builds from Avarice Blade and Long Sword

Here's my opinion:

Executioners calling was first designed to be a direct counter to healers. I believe its first iteration was even cheaper than either of these and was therefore an approachable buy during the laning phase, especially top lane to counter sustainers. It did however turn out to be too strong and got nerfed by cost and changing the on hit-effect to be an active instead.

Now I know there are few fans of this item, but I happen to be one of them. Even though EC is a mid-tier item, it is not necessarily limited to being a mid-game item only. It's great not just for the active but for the stats it gives and how they actually scale into late game when you have lots of AD. It gave ad carries a cheaper alternative to BT and let them buckle down into AD and crit stats. Melee carry's such as Fiora and Tryndamere love this item. It synergizes with IE + Youmuus and rounds out all the stats you'd want coming into mid-late game to assassinate dudes. Consider the alternative of having a Wriggles late game. As an adc, I would rather have 18% lifesteal and 15% crit than 12% lifesteal and 23 AD late game. Bruisers would probably still want Wriggles, but I'm talking about ad carries and especially melee carries.

Now the cost of this item has gone up significantly and the lifesteal component has been removed, making it a terrible alternative to Wriggles and a more out-of reach countermeasure during the laning phase. By the time you get it to counter that lvl9 Lee Sin with Wriggles, the laning phase will be about done.

Now I understand all lifesteal items have been nerfed because lifesteal is too strong. EC was actually the only item that remained unscathed the LAST time Riot did a pass on lifesteal items(when vamp scepter went from 15% to 10% and all its parents were nerfed accordingly EXCEPT executioners) 18% is huge. The only item on live at the moment that gives more is BT with 31 + stacks. EC has been a SIGNIFICANT alternative to other lifesteal items at the cost of having less epic premiums late game and I think I'll miss that part the most.

Another problem I see in the design of the new item is how it builds out of Avarice Blade. Normally I would want to rush Executioners fairly quickly to counter that Chogath/ Lee top lane. But why would I want to do that if I lose all the gold generation I'm getting from Avarice Blade. This is forcing EC into a late game item even though it's mid-tier and gives flat damage instead of a stat that scales multiplicative late game.

I just don't see the new executioners being that useful to many champions in its current state. This is the EC I would ever so love to have Season 3.

Executioner's Calling
Item Cost: 1850 Recipe Cost: 300 +10 Attack Damage +15% Critical Strike Chance + 15% Life Steal
UNIQUE Passive - Greed: Gain an additional 2 Gold every kill.
UNIQUE Active: Inflicts target enemy champion with Grievous Wound,causing 50% reduced healing and regeneration for 8 seconds (20 second cooldown).
Builds from Avarice Blade and Vampiric Scepter

i agree if they bring back the lifesteal that will make it for high cost

Takhuan

11-22-2012

It's not too far out of the way considering it builds out of avarice blade which offers several paths for the ad carry to follow after the laning phase.