Will dominion favor ranged characters?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

belthazor3457

08-04-2011

After reviewing the dominion trailer and understanding that map control will hold greater value, I feel I'm going to be much more at-home playing the dominion game mode - it reminds me a lot of first person shooter games, to which I play the most.

However it also, grimly, reminds me of Arathi Basin from world of warcraft, and some of WoW's awful PVP balance.

Capture points require champions to come to one of several specific spots. Will this overpower defensive / ranged characters? A commonly used tactic I see repeatedly in arathi basin in WoW is to just stack meaty healers to render nodes uncaptureable.

So I am wondering, what will happen when a team has 5 tanks? They'll be lacking on damage, yes, but they'll also be incredibly difficult to kill - and this has the added bonus of surviving longer in order for your teammates to come aid you in the defense of a node - a benefit that the damage champions may not have.

Will a DPS character be worth more in terms of "Capture points" to capture a node faster than a tank would? For example, a DPS character being worth 2 tanks? If so, wouldn't that also create it's own set of balance issues?

My main concern, however, is ranged characters. Especially ones with snares, slows, stuns, etc. Being able to set down defenses and camp a node is a "special ability" of certain characters to make attacking a position difficult, as part of their playstyle. This isn't such a big deal on summoner's rift, but when the entire objective becomes "control 3 out of 5 points" That may alter the game a little.

Caitlyn? To a lesser extent, Nidalee? Heimerdinger? Defensive characters might get a bit of extra value - when their "style" with their defensive abilities is already valuable enough on their own.

Howabout a character that can slow-kite and is given the luxury of being able to defend a point you know the enemy will have to sieze, like Ashe?

I'm just wondering what will be done / can be done to prevent this from becoming an issue at launch. I won't complain all that much about balance in ranked play due to the ability to ban characters, but seeing the same ones repeatedly banned speaks somewhat of that.

Also, there's a good deal of other bugs that need fixing - I'm one of the people who uses an Nvidia card and repeatedly gets bounced out of games in progress for LoL to tell me that I need to update my video card drivers.

In fact, that happened yesterday-morning, and I had just updated the drivers before logging onto LoL. I'm not the only one who has this perticular bug, there's plenty of threads on it - and it's incredibly crippling to disconnect and suddenly have your character do nothing in the middle of a teamfight. How many of the game's bugs / glitches and other issues going to be fixed in this patch?

Segmented

08-04-2011

Singed, Mordekaiser, Alistar, Mundo, and Rammus team.

es #1 never die always capture

urmamasllama

11-26-2012

*sung to that's amore*

When a troll finds a thread
To bring back from the dead
That's a necro

Phourc

11-26-2012

Wait, were you said troll or did he delete his post? xP

Orphane

11-26-2012

Deleted post, most likely