Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Please critique this "Souls" mechanic Champion Concept

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yousonerfed

11-16-2012

Haven't gotten very many reviews yet regarding this new Champion Concept I made, and I'm gonna be away on the weekend, so I'm hoping to come back to some stuff on Sunday.

Phreak also helped me a bit in refining this mechanic (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=31290032#31290032), so I hope you'll do the same for the Champion I designed with it.

I'll post a TL;DR summary of the Champion here, but if you want to see more numbers and details, you'll need to follow the link below:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2795070

Quote:
Name: Grolla, the Cursed Blade (name is based off the German word "Groll", which means "grudge&quot
Role: Carry, Melee

559117 560988
Credit goes to WOMI for the artwork.

(SKILLS UPDATED: Nov. 19, 2012)

Souls Mechanic
Every time Grolla kills an enemy minion or monster, she receives 1 Soul. Killing enemy Champions gives Grolla 3 Souls, while assists give her 2 Souls. Whenever Grolla uses a basic ability, she consumes a Soul if she has one, enhancing its effect. If Grolla has 0 Souls for 8 seconds (0-1 Souls for 6 seconds if she has the Seyfarth Soul Gem), she receives an extra Soul (she receives up to 2 if she has the Seyfarth Soul Gem). Grolla can hold a maximum of 5 Souls at a time (6 if she has the Seyfarth Soul Gem).

P - Grollschwert’s Hunger: Grolla gains +4/6/8/10/12 bonus attack damage for 3.5 seconds each time she lands a basic attack. Striking Champions will cause this effect to stack up to 5 times. (increases at levels 4, 8, 12, 16 respectively)

Q - Soul Rend: Grolla’s next basic attack splashes, dealing physical damage to all enemies in front of her. If Grolla uses a Soul when using Soul Rend, Grolla is healed for a percentage of all damage dealt by the attack. This healing is half as effective against minions and monsters. Resets attack timer. Applies on-hit effects to the primary target only. 9/8/7/6/5 second cooldown.

W - Shroud of Death: Grolla is surrounded by dark flames for 4 seconds, dealing magic damage to all nearby enemies each second. If Grolla uses a Soul when casting Shroud of Death, she will also shield herself with dark power, absorbing incoming damage for 4 seconds. Shroud of Death’s damage and shield strength will be increased by 1% for every 1% of Grolla’s missing health. 12 second cooldown.

E - Grudge: Grolla gains increased attack speed and movement speed for 3 seconds. If Grolla uses a Soul when casting Grudge, she also gains lifesteal and spell vamp for 3 seconds. Each auto attack extends the duration of Grudge by 1 second up to a maximum of 4 extra seconds. 15 second cooldown.

R - Demon’s Wrath: Grolla consumes all of her Souls and dashes in target direction, dealing physical damage, plus bonus magic damage for each Soul she consumed, to all enemies she passes through. For the next few seconds, Grolla becomes empowered by the Grollschwert, and all of her basic abilities function as though they were empowered by Souls, and do not consume Souls when used. 100/90/80 second cooldown.

Also, I'm adding in the current iteration of her unique item. Again, numbers are not finalized, so changes can be expected.
Quote:
Seyfarth Soul Gem (unique item)

Prerequisites: None
Cost: 800 gold

Unique Passive
Grolla’s basic attacks deal 2*level+(4*number of Souls) bonus magic damage. This damage does not scale with critical strikes.

Unique Passive
Increases the maximum number of Souls that Grolla can carry to 6. Reduces the regeneration time of Grolla’s Souls to 6 seconds, and enables her to receive up to 2 Souls this way.

"Her name is bad, and you should feel bad!"

Her name is based off the same character from RKS. Also, it's not meant to be a sexy name; it's meant to be a fierce one. She's a warrior, a cold-hearted killer out for revenge, and I feel her name (derived from the German word for "grudge&quot fits that.

"Shouldn't her artwork look creepier?"

I'd love to have better artwork, but I can't draw for the life of me, and there isn't much art available for Grolla. I have to make do with what's available.

Please post comments and bump even if you don't.

Yousonerfed

11-16-2012

=_= Too much S3 chat, it seems...

Kokonokoo

11-16-2012

I'll comment real fast.

1# 1 soul for a minion/monster, and then only TWO for a champion kill? Should follow some of the previous items, like Warmong, were a minion/monster kill is 1 point and a champion kill or assist is 10.
2# Also, the artworked attached does not resemble what I would imagine a 'collector of souls' to look like. You need something more dark. If she harbors souls, where are they in the picture?

EDIT: To that degree, all the other abilities would have to have their values shifted as well. I would suggest making her total pool around 50, maybe? Though that is a rather high number.
-----E2: Now that I've thought about it, keep her pool at 5, and make it so that minions kill only have a 10%-15% chance to provide her with a single soul. Champion kills add 2 souls, assists add 1.

EDIT: (read that wrong) Her passive is boring, and completely disconnected from this 'soul' theme that is going on. You need to find a way to connect her passive to her soul-collection mechanic to make it more interesting.

EDIT: I believe the 'W' has to much potential to be completely over-powered. Capping the additional stats gained per % of health missing is probably going to be essential. For example, the shield and damage dealt will cap at 20% extra.

EDIT: Grudge feels like just another buff, and a somewhat over-powered as well. I'm viewing this from a point of how much standing power she would have in a 1-v-1 situation, and grudge makes it seem fairly lop'sided. In my own mind, grudge also seems like a curse-type ability, something you would place over an enemies head to debilitate them.

EDIT: The ultimate doesn't feel balanced either. This also feels similar to Yi's multi-strike ability.

Over all, balancing is more of an issue in this champion.

Lsatellizer

11-16-2012

While I'm not good with numbers and general balance I really can't say op or up.

But the concept seems solid enough.

DarkTemplar99

11-16-2012

It's a good and unique idea. The souls are like mana/energy, but instead of getting 2000 mana, its only 5 mana. You gain your souls similar to how akali gets her energy, but it's more about killing minions. You can choose to cast your skills as a resourceless champion, or use a bit of mana(souls) to boost up the effect.

It's a hybrid of the two systems, similar to how jayce is a mashup of range and melee.

Riot, make it happen.

Yousonerfed

11-16-2012

Quote:
Flojarian:
I'll comment real fast.

1# 1 soul for a minion/monster, and then only TWO for a champion kill? Should follow some of the previous items, like Warmong, were a minion/monster kill is 1 point and a champion kill or assist is 10.
2# Also, the artworked attached does not resemble what I would imagine a 'collector of souls' to look like. You need something more dark. If she harbors souls, where are they in the picture?
EDIT: to that degree, all the other abilities would have to have their values shifted as well. I would suggest making her total pool around 50, maybe? Though that is a rather high number.

Getting 5 Souls in a team fight would be OP. Remember, Grolla is using those Souls for powering up her skills in team fights. Plus she can use her ultimate to give herself an "extra stockpile" when the chips are down.

As for the picture, that's all I can really get for Grolla. Not a lot of artworks around, and I can't draw for my life.

Yousonerfed

11-16-2012

Quote:
DarkTemplar99:
It's a good and unique idea. The souls are like mana/energy, but instead of getting 2000 mana, its only 5 mana. You gain your souls similar to how akali gets her energy, but it's more about killing minions. You can choose to cast your skills as a resourceless champion, or use a bit of mana(souls) to boost up the effect.

It's a hybrid of the two systems, similar to how jayce is a mashup of range and melee.

Riot, make it happen.

Roit pls.

PianoConspiracy

11-16-2012

But the souls are more powerful individually, so I like it better this way. A more accurate comparison is the Bloodthirster.

Nice champion idea, though I feel like I'm not sure what she's supposed to be. An AD damage dealer Fiora or a tanky soak?

Youso1337

11-18-2012

Quote:
Yazuka12:
But the souls are more powerful individually, so I like it better this way. A more accurate comparison is the Bloodthirster.

Nice champion idea, though I feel like I'm not sure what she's supposed to be. An AD damage dealer Fiora or a tanky soak?

AD damage dealer. Her base durability is squishy, and she's reliant on her vamp capabilities to stay alive. Building her tanky is not a great idea, as she won't deal any real damage unless she builds it.

Youso1337

11-18-2012

Bump.