Hey Riot can you buy SWTOR?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coeurl

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Midget View Post
With those restrictions they shouldn't have even bothered.

Are you saying that Riot is only able to do stuff in the MoBA genre? Riot could easily expand to other genre's if they wanted, they do have the talent, the brand name, and the willingness to make the best games possible which they themselves love.
No, I'm saying f2p works for a moba. Only trashy low quality mmos have to go f2p, and TOR was **** which is why everyone left and they had to hamfist this stupid f2p model onto it in the first place. Getting riot to do a decent f2p model on it isn't going to suddenly make the game not suck.

Elite Midget

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

f2p also works for MMOs, look at LoTRO. Buy to play also works very well as well, look at GW2 which has been most profitable and they have released more content already than EA/Bioware has in a year for SWTOR.

Riot could easily do more than that. They actually care about their product than just trying to nickle and dime everyone to death.

Coeurl

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Midget View Post
f2p also works for MMOs, look at LoTRO. Buy to play also works very well as well, look at GW2 which has been most profitable and they have released more content already than EA/Bioware has in a year for SWTOR.

Riot could easily do more than that. They actually care about their product than just trying to nickle and dime everyone to death.
LoTRO is old and low quality. That's why it had to go f2p. If they could have, they would have kept a subscription. So yes, making a little money off of f2p is better than no money off of subscriptions because nobody wants to play your game.

GW2 is b2p. And it's also extremely overrated, but most of its money came from box sales anyway. Arenanet knows the game is not good enough to sustain a subscription.

Deconstructor32

11-16-2012

So now instead of just having a subscription, i have to pay for all this seperate **** to get access to everything? I can't just keep a subscription and have access to it all?

Kaalika

11-16-2012

The main problem with how SWTOR is doing ftp is that it breaks pvp completely.

Can't wear purple items. Well, can't wear the pvp gear you need to be able to have fun. Can't finish your daily pvp quest because you only get one match or something ridiculous like that. So, instead of 6 months to get the gear you need to have fun in pvp, 3 years as an ftp player, by which time there will be 10 more tiers of gear.

It's designed to make people HATE the game so much they'll simply uninstall. Except, oh wait, they got attached to their characters through the story right? Wrong. Because in every class story, there's a moment where you go "wtf why did my character do that? All my previous choices have established this character a certain way, but this phrase or action is completely stupid and out of character."

Then the immersion is broken and you just play the character to have fun in pvp and maybe raiding occasionally. Except that's not fun without gear that you can't wear bc ftp.

Yuck.

They need to learn a little bit of generosity goes a long way in player goodwill, and that ftp is supposed to be an advertisement for how awesome the game is, not how horrible of a meaningless endgame grind it has.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

11-16-2012

Holy ****....

I expected EA to pull some shenanigans with their FTP, but this is just silly. So glad I left that game 4 months after release, I knew it wasn't going to get better.

Jortalus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

I was excited for SWTOR going free to play. I was looking forward to some of the things I imagined as being purchased in the shop.

I guess League of Legends has spoiled me into thinking that free to play is the future. I had these delusions that I'd be able to play the game and chat with people, buying custom stuff like lightsaber/blaster colors and new armor/companion appearances.

But no, I can barely chat, can't send mail, and can't even hide my helmet without paying for it. Let alone the hefty restrictions on PvP/dungeons...You only get 5 per week unless you pay for a "weekly pass" which dissolves the following week and forces you to buy another.

Really?

Trapped Angel

11-16-2012