@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mtrx005

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi of Ruckus View Post
It's funny how the only parts of her that aren't fish-like are her face, and then only kind of, and her boobs, which are highlighted in a manner that makes her fish half look like a very awkward dress. I will say I think anger at Ironstylus is misplaced unless we hear this was his design, which I doubt. He is a designer, not the designer for all champs.
True.

The trouble is that IronStylus has been the PR point-man for Riot on this issue, and he set people's expectations too high in terms of how seriously Riot would take this issue moving forward.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Delnoir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moby the White

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrx005 View Post
Wait, why would you be able to threaten check from E4....nevermind.

Yes. It was a meta study in the sense that it combined about two dozen studies (not sure why we have to keep going over this, it's linked ITT so you can read it if you want). The APA found the combined findings conclusive.

There are also hundreds (literally hundreds) of other studies over the past few decades finding the same thing. I do not know of any contradictory evidence. Do you?

Do you want to tell me what the issue is here? Is the APA a secret feminist cabal? Is their an academic conspiracy? Why exactly are you refusing to accept their findings?
bold a meta-study of that many studies has an extreme amount of alpha error build up, hence I do not trust it.

underlined I cannot research correlation studies of sexualization currently. i am at work and would get fired. I work with a juvenile clientele that have been either sexually offended or are sexual offenders. Researching this stuff while at work could pull some red flags. Btw i needed that psych degree to get this job...if you still doubt..then whatever you are stubborn and refuse to stipulate.

i can take it from E4 because your king was moved within E4's space...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Paige

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Wise View Post
I think most non-mythical creature male champions are designed to be handsome, if that was your question. All of them, even Ezreal and Taric are designed to appeal to a more selective female audience. Even if they don't wear shirts they're still obviously muscular - they have all the characteristics of a regular Disney Prince: wide shoulders, sharp jaw lines, symmetrical, strong faces and impressive physiques. The ones that don't are more.. effeminate but they're still, "attractive" like Twisted Fate, etc. Of course you can bring up the one champion that doesn't fit this but the gimmick champions are obviously gimmicks: Gragas, Teemo, etc.

mtrx29094209 just ignores that whole side of the argument claiming it somehow effects women more than it effects men while calling me stupid while citing a biased, compiled study with interpreted, inconclusive data. Cool. Must be nice to be a woman in an argument and just make rules up when you lose.

And then she tried to copy and paste an argument against pollution from Wikipedia, and I lost interest.
hm, well I would just say that the males in this game are idealized, and not sexualized. being attractive doesn't mean sexualized. you could say it makes sense for their characters to be strong and physically fit, but it doesn't make sense for many of the female characters to be... displaying large amounts of skin and such.

while there is nothing wrong with that in real life, in a video game these are not real people who are making the choice to do so. they are made to look that way in order to please. but the only people it pleases are ones attracted to women.

yes, attractive men might be pleasing to people attracted to men, but making the men attractive and muscular is idealization. this just makes them look stronger, more physically powerful, etc. but a woman who is designed with basically men in mind doesn't look "better" for it. there are cases where we can say it DOES empower her, like ahri, but how does this new champ feel empowered by her appearance? it just really doesn't make sense to me.

I don't think we're going to change each other's minds, though... I just wanted to know your views so I could understand your side.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elite Midget

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-16-2012

You're getting downvotes from those that are too simple minded to see how messed up this all is. Riot said one thing yet they didn't pull through. We want more female bod types and characters that don't all look like humanoids with giant breasts or cleavage! Give us more Anivia types!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Biotic Volus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-16-2012

a v-neck shirt on a preteen voiced character is a whole other level of messed up dude...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mtrx005

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby the White View Post
bold a meta-study of that many studies has an extreme amount of alpha error build up, hence I do not trust it.

underlined I cannot research correlation studies of sexualization currently. i am at work and would get fired. I work with a juvenile clientele that have been either sexually offended or are sexual offenders. Researching this stuff while at work could pull some red flags. Btw i needed that psych degree to get this job...if you still doubt..then whatever you are stubborn and refuse to stipulate.

i can take it from E4 because your king was moved within E4's space...
Then I'm forced to assume we're in endgame, otherwise I would not have left it so exposed.

Ok. Well...do some research on the subject. The preponderance of the evidence sits firmly on the side of hypersexualization and objectification being social problems with measurable consequences, to the point that it is theory in name only (like the "theory" of relativity). I find this persuasive.

Unless your position is "research is inherently untrustworthy and we should disregard all of it always forever" I suspect you will as well.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aggrbargl

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanblod View Post
Elise is a seductress, it is part of her lore <_<
You say that like the lore is out of Riot's hands. They keep writing female champions' lore to justify this sort of thing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moby the White

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenvas View Post
but this is the internet, you cant change peoples opinion.
its not like you talk to them in person and when you tell them enough about your view they go "oh yes that makes sense". that doesnt happen, it all just goes out of hand, bloates into a competition of who is smarter.

why not set being understanding as a valueable trait?

in this case: people would like more diversity for champions (either male or female), that doesnt hurt the game. infact it would be nice to have riot work a bit more on their champions before relasing them. noone loses anything, just win.

dont argue if riot is sexist, if female or male champions are oversexualized, just accept that some people feel like those things are the case.
but it isn't just my opinion or my opinion. I can't directly state I am for or against it. Because aspects of each arguement make sense to me, can you understand that? I am understanding I get where they are coming from I've been on this thread for the last 2 days or so rationalizing both sides of thought it didn't matter what I said i got downvoted regardless. I've stated before people have different opinions no one gives a **** though they still argue and complain. And maybe its worth complaining about for 2 days but its hard to take complaints seriously when people aren't willing to bend their opinions because other opinions exist.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ItemsGuy

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Until Riot expands their audience beyond the stagnant "16-28 year old male" demographic, I doubt you'll see many people that share your opinion.

It's pretty much inbreeding--Riot fosters a playerbase consisting primarily of teenage dudes, who encourage Riot to pander to them, alienating a fair 50% of the population, leading Riot to believe that their current demographic will be their only one, which then leads to them continuing to pander to them.

It's the cowardly quick-fix, so unless a catalyst of positive change is introduced, things probably won't change.