@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mtrx005

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by And it was K View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of PR. They're not actually going to give us different body types.
qft

Anybody who thinks Riot is "different" or somehow better than other game companies in the way they interact with their community is willfully blind to their consistent hypocrisy and dishonesty on this issue.

mogonk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrx005 View Post
qft

Anybody who thinks Riot is "different" or somehow better than other game companies in the way they interact with their community is willfully blind to their consistent hypocrisy and dishonesty on this issue.
I like to think that IronStylus is just a patsy. That he actually believes in what he's saying and the company is kinda using him.

Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I want to like that guy.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby the White View Post
ps. to whomever said something about a.) peer-review studies or etc and all this regarding psychobabble I for one can inform you that there is a degree of error to these studies large quantities of error. b.) that who ever is arguing that in society and psychology oversexualization etc I don't feel like finding it right now because I just freaking woke up...to find out I received no reply whatsoever. To you I say I 100% agree but in our society and within the aspects of retail psychology *** sells quite well. And I don't believe it is right to capitalize on this but as a money making method i could rationalize this.

While true, peer reviewed studies and articles are quite literally all we got.

Whereas those going on about how sexualization damage damages society, the game, and both genders are making some HUGE claims here without backing it up at all.

They don't have anything to back up their claim that sexualization does all that stuff. Nor do they have any solid proof that this game over-sexualizes females(notice the emphasis on "over"). Does the majority of female players feel the game is sexist? Or is it just a vocal minority?

Literally shutting out any opposing povs certainly doesn't work in their favour either. There's no arguing against white knighting.

Oberic

11-16-2012

Downvotes for calling Nami a boobfest champ. She looks awesome and not boobified.

My only problem with her is that she coulda used a more unique personality. Would have been a great time fot the shy support.

RazorWarrior

11-16-2012

I generally agree with this topic. I just want to point out there's nothing wrong with huge boobs, but its very easy to see that what Riot is doing here is blatantly wrong and manipulative and puts a false mask of reality about women's body types in general for the sake of profit. Anyone else remember that one game that most people who played it, that don't play it anymore and what the company that owned it did to it? That company was also basing the concepts towards the majority.

Irrelevant note: Am I the only one who's like "WTF is wrong with Elises' hip??" That thing is almost a 90 degree angle.

GalactusMultiV

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberic View Post
Downvotes for calling Nami a boobfest champ. She looks awesome and not boobified.

My only problem with her is that she coulda used a more unique personality. Would have been a great time fot the shy support.
Nami should have been shy. Fish are shy and skittish, and she's a fish girl, so she would have been perfect for the shy gal role.

Rasja

11-16-2012

I think everyone expects an immediate change in champion design when they tell us that champions are designed months in advance.

They know some people don't like the way females are portrayed, and they said they would be working on it in the future, but Nami has been released (PBE) not even a month after Elise has been fully released in the game.

I think we should expect changes in the future, not miracles in the present. In six months or so, I think you can maybe make a better argument that they have been prepared and should be releasing female champions that show less cleavage, but right now, you're just restating something they've heard and can't really change too much without going back to the drawing board and postponing a female champion they had already prepared.

I also find it sad that one person in the art team who has been very voal for wanting different body types or less cleavage being shown is the one person being called out like they did something wrong. He is the most vocal person for change that we've heard from in that department and yet he is the one being yelled at.

Patience... but who am I kidding, most people aren't patient. Complain until change comes in the future (or fake patience)!!

DoozleDorf

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalactusMultiV View Post
Nami should have been shy. Fish are shy and skittish, and she's a fish girl, so she would have been perfect for the shy gal role.
Except that she's a mermaid. Mermaids are typically described in literature and lore and seductresses. They are beautiful, topless, regal, playful, and enchanting to male sailors, pirates, ect.

The only problem I see with her is that she isn't topless. Now that is totally wrong....

Ginga

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWarrior View Post
puts a false mask of reality about women's body types in general for the sake of profit.
But the thing is, the body types aren't far off from reality. Especially Nami's whose chest is actually quite normal, SMALL even.

People seem to forget the women in real life can have sweet figures and nice boobs too. In fact, its not all that rare at all. Even my gym teacher back in grade 2 had bigger boobs than most of the girls in LoL.

Take that, and add in the fact that every character in LoL are quite stylized to begin with(every notable feature exagerrated) to give units some character in a top-down game, and the fact that there is a requirement in fantasy settings to make characters more appealing, what with being an entertainment medium and not a social commentary on body image.

There is every reason to make characters who are appealing. Very little people would want an Average Jane or Obese Oprah. They carry no appeal. They would be like Riot making a black champion. They'd exist just for the sake of being who they are if they were ever made.

Grim Reaper

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoozleDorf View Post
Except that she's a mermaid. Mermaids are typically described in literature and lore and seductresses. They are beautiful, topless, regal, playful, and enchanting to male sailors, pirates, ect.

The only problem I see with her is that she isn't topless. Now that is totally wrong....
Agreed, we need her to be even more naked.