Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LORDBIGDOGGIE

11-18-2012

Quote:
KT Samurai:
I just remembered something neat for everyone who says that there isn't a problem because the majority of players don't think there is.

Awhile back someone on the Bioware forums complained about his character being hit on by another male character. He said that Bioware was ignoring its core demographic, the straight male gamer, and that he was kind of offended by this. A Bioware employee replied and I think encapsulated the issue incredibly well, so well that I think it carries over to how the vocal minority (of which I am apart) and lends credence to our concerns. The response reads in part:

The people who are standing on the sidelines shouting in at people like me just don't want things to change. They like that their female champions are *** objects first and characters second and they see any discussion exploring the opposite route being a violation of their privilege.

Link to quote: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/304/index/6661775&lf=8

This This This This This.

Koelof

11-18-2012

Quote:
KT Samurai:
That's not what I was saying at all.

So, what, then?

Because there's Leona, Annie, Orianna, Tristana, Anivia, etc.

The majority hasn't been the only one represented; You're just complaining that it has been represented too much in comparison.

Which is what needs to happen, because it's the majority.

Leaving something out is bad, but representing it properly is not.

Tyranox The Just

11-18-2012

Close this thread it has overstayed its welcome.

Koelof

11-18-2012

Quote:
KT Samurai:
Your post is mostly straw mans because you were addressing me and I didn't say any of that stuff. You applied them to me assuming I agreed with all of it, and that's a fallacy.

So then what do you want, without posting about anything I did?

Nothing about equality, different frames(gragas), or concepts(preferably, old-age. Young is covered anyways).

Winterstride

11-18-2012

Quote:
Koelof:
So, what, then?

Because there's Leona, Annie, Orianna, Tristana, Anivia, etc.

The majority hasn't been the only one represented; You're just complaining that it has been represented too much in comparison.

Which is what needs to happen, because it's the majority.

Leaving something out is bad, but representing it properly is not.

My entire point back there was that the majority does not inherently have a right to be catered to at all times. If you'd just calm down and actually read what I have to say rather than fill in what you think I'm saying you'd see that. This game is for everyone, not just the majority.

Koelof

11-18-2012

Quote:
KT Samurai:
My entire point back there was that the majority does not inherently have a right to be catered to at all times. If you'd just calm down and actually read what I have to say rather than fill in what you think I'm saying you'd see that. This game is for everyone, not just the majority.

And how exactly is it not catering to everyone?

Ornan

11-18-2012

All of my downvotes OP. ALL OF MY DOWNVOTES

I Am Gone

11-18-2012

Quote:
parentheses:
EDIT: Based on forum consensus, I have uploaded new original concept art for a Riot champ that everyone would approve of judging by this thread.

EDIT: 448 downvotes - I sure am popular! I don't want to take way your boobs, people, stop freaking out. I just want some other options.

EDIT: Made this post, went to bed, and it exploded. +83 downvotes and 27 pages later I don't know quite where to start. Not sure why I'm getting downvotes unless people are just assuming that I'm "anti-boobs" - which is not true. Fact is, Riot has made two female champs with huge breasts that did not need breasts as part of their character design. Nami and Elise are not seductresses - they don't need huge racks. I have no problem with fantasy and I understand why characters like MF or Ahri need to be boobilicious but huge breasts make no sense for a majority of Riot's female characters.

After all of the comments you have made about giving us more female body types, you release two female champions one after another with huge cleavage on display.

Why did Elise need huge breasts that literally HEAVE up and down in her login screen? She is a spider - the perfect opportunity for you guys to make a truly monstrous female champion.

I thought to myself, "Ok, maybe the next female champ will be better."

I just saw Nami's in game model and art. Again, we have prominent breasts on display for absolutely zero reason. You could have gone a number of other directions with this and made it more unique and much much cooler without making another BOOBFEST champ.

I remember after Elise came out people were disappointed about her character design and you replied to a forum thread saying that you would address our concerns.

They weren't address and now we have Nami. I probably won't even buy her although I main support. I just can't support Riot saying one thing and then doing another as far as female champ design anymore.

EDIT: Here are some screenshots for those that are wondering what I'm talking about because Nami is "omg lol a fish so how could she have boobs."

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xgAsff_kG2U/UKXPfvpOEAI/AAAAAAAAKAY/sEKFM3QoyQY/s1600/nami.png (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/redirect.php?do=verify&redirect_url=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-xgAsff_kG2U%2FUKXPfvpOEAI%2FAAAAAAAAKAY%2FsEKFM3QoyQY%2Fs1600%2Fnami.png)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-z8dPIbhN9Hc/UKXSFC0ySUI/AAAAAAAAKAw/I3H0ZR_0VvY/s1600/mermmy.png (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/redirect.php?do=verify&redirect_url=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-z8dPIbhN9Hc%2FUKXSFC0ySUI%2FAAAAAAAAKAw%2FI3H0ZR_0VvY%2Fs1600%2Fmermmy.png)

Also, check out the video of Nami in action next to Kat - Kat seems like she'd be a much more sexualized character but Nami's breasts are much more prominently on display and more obvious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-CfHApTyBM (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/redirect.php?do=verify&redirect_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Do-CfHApTyBM)

I'm sick of this common misconception. What do breasts have to do with being sexualized??? It's just female anatomy ffs.

Winterstride

11-18-2012

Quote:
Koelof:
So then what do you want, without posting about anything I did?

Nothing about equality, different frames(gragas), or concepts(preferably, old-age. Young is covered anyways).

I want character concepts that are concerned with character before teenage-level visual stimulus.

Miss Fortune isn't problematic to me because her character is reflected by how she looks. I'm 100% okay with her being the way she is because that's who she is supposed to be.

I'm not okay with artwork that sexes up a champ, male or female, that doesn't reflect their personality and history. For example, Riven is a survivor of a massacre who previously had taken part of massacres of her own. She's a deeply conflicted and almost broken person (hence her blade) and is seeking to atone for she's done. This archetype has already been explored in numerous mediums, the most relatable of which to our audience being Himura Kenshin from the "Rurouni Kenshin" series. There's a sense of agony and loss in her history that is deeply moving to me.

Then Riot turns around throws her in a bunny suit because a lot of people wanted it to happen, eviscerating her character and reducing her to fan service. As someone who loves concept design and stories this just made absolutely no sense to me. It completely went against her design, exploited the female form, and was obviously done in order to garner sales. I'm not okay with things like that.

Koelof

11-18-2012

Quote:
KT Samurai:
I want character concepts that are concerned with character before teenage-level visual stimulus.

Miss Fortune isn't problematic to me because her character is reflected by how she looks. I'm 100% okay with her being the way she is because that's who she is supposed to be.

I'm not okay with artwork that sexes up a champ, male or female, that doesn't reflect their personality and history. For example, Riven is a survivor of a massacre who previously had taken part of massacres of her own. She's a deeply conflicted and almost broken person (hence her blade) and is seeking to atone for she's done. This archetype has already been explored in numerous mediums, the most relatable of which to our audience being Himura Kenshin from the "Rurouni Kenshin" series. There's a sense of agony and loss in her history that is deeply moving to me.

Then Riot turns around throws her in a bunny suit because a lot of people wanted it to happen, eviscerating her character and reducing her to fan service. As someone who loves concept design and stories this just made absolutely no sense to me. It completely went against her design, exploited the female form, and was obviously exploitive in order to garner sales. I'm not okay with things like that.

Skins have nothing to do with the lore.

They are fluff; Optional.

They do nothing to the base champion, nor change anything about it.

The skin "existing" does nothing. It's only a problem because you think it modifies the character; No, it doesn't. "But I can never un-see!"

That is your problem that you can not distinguish between fantasy/fantasy, and fantasy/reality.

Edit: Now, if they released riven as Battle-bunny, with said lore, then you would have a case.