@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kmiavdaen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

- 1 to op, + 1 to boobs.

mogonk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Samurai View Post
Each time this happens we hear the same thing and I just have to wonder what's going on. There's a long, complicated system - I understand that - but what I don't understand is how this happens so often..
It happens often because they base the design of new champs on emulating the champs that have sold well in the past. Hypersexualized champs sell well because Riot caters to an audience that likes those images.

As for what's "going on", the most basic sort of PR: simple dishonesty. They claim they care and that they're motivated to do something about this. Their critics are silenced without being driven away (customers are customers, after all). Then they just go back to doing what makes them money. It's pretty simple.

I think you'll find that the more cynical you become, the more Riot's actions make sense.

IMTOOJUICY

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Oh rly?

Teemo needs more skins.
do you get into fist fights with RiotVinx every day?

Koelof

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Samurai View Post
I guess my problem is that every time a female champ comes out we end up having the exact same conversation, that you guys could have done one of any thousands of things to address this weird little issue but opted not to. In Nami's case, Stylus basically said that he didn't want to stamp on a new artists' first champ. But isn't that kind of your job?

I assume you guys have some kind of system in place when you decided to go forward with a champ design. Does it not involve initial sketches that can be very easily altered? If not, why not? If not, why are you leaping directly to full-color concept art that, when completed, makes you feel like you shouldn't change it if the artist is new? Can you not give helpful notes to new talent or write something on a dry erase board like, "Let's tone down the cleavage for a couple months!".

Each time this happens we hear the same thing and I just have to wonder what's going on. There's a long, complicated system - I understand that - but what I don't understand is how this happens so often.

Stylus referenced the Dudepocalypse where 3 male bruiser champions were released all at once. With Diana being the only combo breaker female champs are undergoing a long-lasting Trampocalypse.

Where is the problem?

Just because you hear a very vocal minority--That does not mean it's an issue.

KT Samurai

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koelof View Post
Where is the problem?

The problem is variety, obviously. I guess you didn't read this or any other thread on the matter?

KT Samurai

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogonk View Post
It happens often because they base the design of new champs on emulating the champs that have sold well in the past. Hypersexualized champs sell well because Riot caters to an audience that likes those images.

As for what's "going on", the most basic sort of PR: simple dishonesty. They claim they care and that they're motivated to do something about this. Their critics are silenced without being driven away (customers are customers, after all). Then they just go back to doing what makes them money. It's pretty simple.

I think you'll find that the more cynical you become, the more Riot's actions make sense.
I guess that I'm just not cynical.

One of the things that keeps me going is that a few weeks ago Stylus did mention that some champs that people like me, who complain about this stuff every time a new female champ is released, are in for a few treats in the near-future. I'm holding out hope that within the next month or two the team will deliver.

Eruka Frog

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfectable View Post
This is all because of Blair and Medusa, isn't it?
you would know the true story if i was able to tell you

mogonk

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koelof View Post
Where is the problem?

Hypersexualization of female images in media isn't an issue?

It's been studied extensively in a variety of academic disciplines and found to be pervasive and harmful. The APA put out a report on the destructive effects on hypersexualized images in advertising and other media.

What if 90% of people said global warming didn't matter, but 99% of climate scientists said it did? How seriously would you take that? Well, 90% of GD may think this doesn't matter. But 99% of sociologists, psychologists, and gender theorists think it does.

How is that not an issue?

Genris

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Or a girlfriend for Alistar with a huge rectangular shield!
I think it should be a giant hammer. Yeah. Really think it should be a giant hammer.

mtrx005

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogonk View Post
I think you'll find that the more cynical you become, the more everything makes sense.
ftfy