OT religion (for fun)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Semper Damnatus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

my gf wrote that, but i do.

the flail

11-16-2012

Well thank you, sempy's gf, for giving me the opportunity to post a bad joke XD

Fujiou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcookie View Post
Where does the ability to think come from?

Where does the concept of the soul come from?
I think it's called the brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danissimo View Post
I am Roman Catholic, but religion is a hard topic.

Some thoughts: what does religion mean to me? Firstly, it doesn't mean that whatever the Bible says is a real life story. You shouldn't interpret the Bible as a regular book. The whole book is a metaphor and the primary thing it teaches is how to be a moral person. No story in the Bible is to be read as history. If you go to any Catholic mess you'd hear not only what the book says, but also how we should interpret the words and apply them to present day life. Now, I don't go to the mess regularly, does it make me a bad person from the Christian point of view. In no way, as long as I follow the best moral principles and try to be a good person to others. So what do we get from all that: being religious (not affiliated with any particular world religion *read as a term*) is a good way to be a good person. Now is it a bad thing?

Some food for thought:
- all the major world scientists who made great scientific discoveries were religious (Newton, Copernicus, Einstein, etc.)
- what if I told you that religion and Church are two different things? Everyone reads the religious book for him/herself and no one else. It is self-development. Just as Buddhism is (which is not a religion, but a teaching).
- what if I told you that science is a religion? And lastly, how about understanding that science and religion do not counteract but explain one another.

Hope this makes people be less shallow in their claims about religion and think about religion more deeply. Also, obviously I am not from 'mericuh, and tbh I think religious situation in the US sucks for various reasons, including religious fanatism.

Be smart, I accept your arguments for and against.
So what do you think of cases in which science and doctrine clearly contradict one another? I'm not a religious man, so excuse me if I'm mistaken, but I believe it was the Catholic church who stated that the bible is the infallible word of god, and then it is not open to varying interpretations. Your idea that the bible is filled with allegory and takes precedence over church rulings seems more in-line with Protestantism.

I think it's curious that you claim that Buddhism is not a religion, while science is. If you could elaborate on that, I'd be much obliged. While one may reasonable debate that science is a religion (though I'd certainly counter their arguments), I think that Buddhism may objectively be called a religion, and anyone who chooses to disagree had best reaffirm his or her definition of the word.

Also, your statement that all major scientists were religious is not only extraneous, it's also false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the flail View Post
Just make sure she doesn't get a boob job. Don't want to worship false idols.
I chuckled.

standin

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcadoda View Post
It could also apply to any belief.
This is true.

My only immediate response to Danissino is that Einstein was not religious. Some quotes might mislead people to think he was but he was not. When he talks about the wonders of the universe, he doesn't mean it in a godly sense. He means it in an appreciation for the vastness and beauty of the universe.

Jaykoboy

11-16-2012

My dad's side was Catholic, and my mom's side was Agnostic. So it naturally led to me being Protestant.

Exoctane

11-16-2012

I was brought up under some form of Christianity, but never believed in anything they taught.

Tl:dr - Athiest