OT religion (for fun)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

the flail

11-15-2012

I believe in chance =P

moment to moment, an' all that.

gankas kon

11-15-2012

Christian

vcadoda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by standin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadinPants View Post
Agnostic, don't care what people think but won't criticize their views- the proper interaction of religion should not be "Hey you should convert" It should be "So you believe X. I believe Y. Go to hell bro."
I'm going to be nit-picky. Your description of an agnostic can also apply to an atheist.
It could also apply to any belief.

Danissimo

11-16-2012

I am Roman Catholic, but religion is a hard topic.

Some thoughts: what does religion mean to me? Firstly, it doesn't mean that whatever the Bible says is a real life story. You shouldn't interpret the Bible as a regular book. The whole book is a metaphor and the primary thing it teaches is how to be a moral person. No story in the Bible is to be read as history. If you go to any Catholic mess you'd hear not only what the book says, but also how we should interpret the words and apply them to present day life. Now, I don't go to the mess regularly, does it make me a bad person from the Christian point of view. In no way, as long as I follow the best moral principles and try to be a good person to others. So what do we get from all that: being religious (not affiliated with any particular world religion *read as a term*) is a good way to be a good person. Now is it a bad thing?

Some food for thought:
- all the major world scientists who made great scientific discoveries were religious (Newton, Copernicus, Einstein, etc.)
- what if I told you that religion and Church are two different things? Everyone reads the religious book for him/herself and no one else. It is self-development. Just as Buddhism is (which is not a religion, but a teaching).
- what if I told you that science is a religion? And lastly, how about understanding that science and religion do not counteract but explain one another.

Hope this makes people be less shallow in their claims about religion and think about religion more deeply. Also, obviously I am not from 'mericuh, and tbh I think religious situation in the US sucks for various reasons, including religious fanatism.

Be smart, I accept your arguments for and against.

Dobagoh

11-16-2012

I have no religion but I will gladly take your holidays and paid time off.

blastatack

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobagoh View Post
I have no religion but I will gladly take your holidays and paid time off.
Lolol

2kool4life

11-16-2012

I am a C!
I am a C-H!!
I am a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N!!!
And I have C-H-R-I-S-T in my H-E-A-R-T and I will L-O-V-E love him all the TIME time!!!!
Ah the good old days of Sunday school.

Powerstoned

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danissimo View Post
...You shouldn't interpret the Bible as a regular book. The whole book is a metaphor and the primary thing it teaches is how to be a moral person. No story in the Bible is to be read as history. If you go to any Catholic mess you'd hear not only what the book says, but also how we should interpret the words and apply them to present day life. Now, I don't go to the mess regularly, does it make me a bad person from the Christian point of view. In no way, as long as I follow the best moral principles and try to be a good person to others. So what do we get from all that: being religious (not affiliated with any particular world religion *read as a term*) is a good way to be a good person. Now is it a bad thing?

- what if I told you that science is a religion? And lastly, how about understanding that science and religion do not counteract but explain one another.
Here it is. A lot of the bible is a great metaphor that can be used to teach people how to live right ....but some of it's not. The sermons that a priest or preacher crafts every week to preach to his congregation are made to be metaphors, to teach a lesson about life ala "Aesop's Fables". This is why most sermons you'll hear are almost all from the new testament, if they're not the standard "daniel & the lions' den", "david & goliath" and the other half dozen or so glossed over tales from the old testament.

Some of it is very specific, cut and dry math and science, and it's those non-metaphorical passages which many times COMPLETELY "counteract"/contradict reality, aka "science".
Things like the lineage of Adam to Solomon to Jesus is not a metaphor, and it contradicts so many aspects of reality and science it's appalling. The bible was written by some of the most educated men of their time, and still, the bible has some pretty archaic ignorance that shows how little mankind knew about the world.

Your argument is a popular one made by christians, usually made by those that haven't really studied the bible or read much more than john 3:16. Read it, especially if you say you believe in what it says. Saying "it's all a metaphor and you shouldn't question it's veracity" promotes ignorance for the sake of not allowing anyone to question "is this right?" It's not all a metaphor and there are some very important aspects of the christian faith that hinge on parts of the bible being factual. Many, many stories in the bible are to be read as actual history, because it makes later stories in both the old and new testaments have religious significance.

If you say "my religion is all based on metaphors" you're doing yourself a disservice and making your religion, which you share with the majority, seem stupid. Have more respect for it than that. Own up to it's hogwash.

Semper Damnatus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

i`m an atheist but i worship my girlfriend`s boobs

the flail

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFedeles View Post
i`m an atheist but i worship my girlfriend`s boobs
*giggles*

Just make sure she doesn't get a boob job. Don't want to worship false idols.