Let's Discuss Darius

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tempestphile

11-15-2012

It's very hard to deny he is very strong on Dominion. In fact, I've never seen a game where Darius did not yield over 10 kills.

Anyway, I want to list why I think he is very strong on Dominion, and try to be Dominion specfic whenever I can

• 3 types of damage, high damage (when full stacked) passive that deals magic damage, then physical damage champion with a true damage ulti. Itemization against him is kinda annoying.
  • Flat true damage is best countered with high hp items, but all we only have is frozen mallet / rylais, but in SR, there is also warmong (which we know is very strong in Dominion if allowed).
  • QSS is good counter to his ulti, but its not 100% reliable (lag, need to counter other CC), and Darius has a grace time where he can still slain you to reset the ulti.
  • Darius is currently bugged where there is a very small chance his ulti can be reset during grace period when his team mate did the kill and he only got the assist. RIOT seems to ignore it.
  • The Nature of Dominion where time is very tight. If he is low on HP and capturing one of your turret, and you are also low on HP but only one alive, interrupting could give him an instant kill, instead of having a chance (especially when playing a Melee)
  • Draft mode takes a long time to queue, where as in blind, picking a melee could be a 50/50 choice because you have to assume they have a Darius. But does anyone always want to play a range and kiter?

Those are the things I observed and can remember out of my head. If someone has an input or opinion, feel free. Or how to fight him (avoiding saying counterpicks or kite him all day), because let's face it, he has a team too.

MyDeadGrandma

11-15-2012

Like Leblanc, it is not uncommon for Durrius to have a disproportionate amount of kills and end up on the losing team. Killing blows on a hero designed to get killing blows? The horror!

Outpicking him?
Jax and Olaf outright duel him past 10 minutes. Jayce from the start of the game
Lulu can keep him off someone indefinitely.

Darius has high base damage, allowing him to build tanky early on, but 15 minutes in when the real damage dealers are running around with LW/Void Staff, his damage outside of his ulti is negligible if he went tank build, and he offers little in the way of helping his team beyond his grab. I hate seeing him outside of botlane because of the drag he is on his team lategame.

bierfaust

11-15-2012

He can easily bully people that aren't aware of his surprising base damage even if the only offense item he has is a prospectors blade. But the good thing about this map is for the most part, kills don't mean jack and even if you funnel him all that gold, he can't really do much more than he does once he hits level 6. Nothing changes other than his durability. But that is also a major downside for his team. He really is dead weight if he misses that grab, which only a fool would walk into.

That being said,put any real duelist or a safety poker against him and he can't really do anything other than try and stalemate the lane.

And of course put up against any of the other typical bot laners and he gets completely dicked. (Yorick, Jax, Jayce etc.)

EDIT: Of course at low elo he will be a problem, just like apparently Shaco is. No idea why, might have something to do with the lack of knowledge of the players and how to approach fights correctly.

BeefJerkyHunter

11-15-2012

Except for the Olaf suggestion, suggesting other known overpowered champions to counter Darius isn't exactly a preferred method.

MyDeadGrandma

11-15-2012

Play Xin,J4,Kong for better damage scaling, superior CC, and shred that actually helps the rest of your team.

Or play Rammus, Malphite, Amumu, Singed, Blitzcrank or Maokai who cockblock him from putting stacks on anybody important making it easy for any ranged AD to kite him.

A hero doesn't need a direct counter when there are outright better picks.

Tempestphile

11-15-2012

Are you guys just throwing out names now?

I can see how Olaf and Kayle can win him, as well as Malph, but if you build Xin too tanky, you loose, if you build Xin too glassy, you loose. J4 and Kong is simliar, a 800 true damage ulti is not a joke, especially when the champ can build extremely tanky

You can't just say Darius is useless because people won't pick him, or you can counter pick him (because how blind pick is more common on Dominion)
The situation I want to put out there and discuss is more, what if you bump into an enemy Darius and you are not playing the straight counters but another melee.

Yes, Kills don't matter as much, but they still put your team on disadvantage by having to go through death timer, no?

MyDeadGrandma

11-15-2012

You're either lacking in reading comprehension or general knowledge of dominion.

In a teamfight, Xin, J4 and Kong, contribute more than Darius, both in CC, and due to the fact their primary damage is upfront, even though he usually wins against them 1v1. Rammus, Malphite, Amumu, etc wouldn't be able to duel him either, but I never claimed they could; simply that putting them between Darius and your squishy is an easy way of dealing with him. Or simply that having any one of the above is a better choice than Darius in a teamfight.

And here's the thing about the true damage ulti- it is a DELAYED threat. You need 5 stacks and the person to already be at 800 health for it to take effect, or else you end up blowing it early and Darius' threat level drops to zero because he doesn't get the killing blow. If Darius cant whittle them down to 800, and lets face it, tanky darius won't be able to do that to another tanky derps/tank in under 15 seconds. You know what generally happens in that time? The other tanky derps laughs, gapcloses past Darius and unloads their damage upfront on the squishy. Darius' squishy dies, Darius gets the killing blow on the enemy, then complains in all chat about how he cant carry these bads but he's so awesome because just look at his score.

I never said killing the other team didn't matter. I implied killing blows aren't a good indicator of a hero's strength.

Lameador

11-15-2012

I deny he is very strong on dominion.

FDru

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDeadGrandma View Post
Like Leblanc, it is not uncommon for Durrius to have a disproportionate amount of kills and end up on the losing team. Killing blows on a hero designed to get killing blows? The horror!
This is possibly the worst analogy I have ever seen. Want to know what else is common for LeBlanc? To have as many deaths as she has kills. Ditto for every other "hero designed to get killing blows" ie: assassins (which Darius is not).

K0nundrum

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012