Item Shop and Game HUD Updates

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jairouch

11-18-2012

when is the new HUD and UI gonna happen because most the players have them

Aliyas

11-18-2012

give us the updated item shop list already!!!

boourns

UI Designer

11-18-2012
46 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyocat64 View Post
Why does the shop look just like Smite? Did anyone else notice this?
Huh, I actually had never looked at Smite's UI before now. We've definitely come to similar solutions to the problem of needing many clicks to dig into a hierarchy of categories, although our layout it a bit different. Their descriptions are similar to our recommended item descriptions as well. Yay convergent design, makes me feel better about the changes we're making! My respect for the folks working on Smite grows another notch. IMHO, shop and inventory design in games is something we can do a lot better designing and it looks like they agree!

boourns

UI Designer

11-18-2012
47 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestrinast View Post
1) Why are there no linebreaks in the statistics, as displayed by the Zeal?
2) Why is the filter so wide? Is this and/or the size of the shop UI itself going to encourage superfluous use of scrollbars?
3) Why was it decided to not have Consumeables visible at all times as a separate element on the side/above?
9) Was pushing the "Recommended Items" onto a button that requires a new player to actually read and then click a good decision? The old recommended items threw themselves into a noob's face with bright colors in an easily-understandable order. Will there be sufficient prompting to aid new players in their item decisions?
2) We needed space for localization. I'd like to minimize scrolling as much as possible, what you see is optimized for minimum res. We're gonna see if we can make it more expandable for higher resolutions before release.
3) In all items, I don't think it's a big deal and I wouldn't want to devote that much space to consumables considering how tight we are on real estate already. It's not more or less clicks than the other categories. I'm gonna see if we can come up with some creative solutions for recommended items so you don't have to flip back and forth.
9) Recommended items will actually show up as the default view, we hope we do a good enough job with that and you never need to leave the page. I believe we're also going to remember your preference for the next game.

boourns

UI Designer

11-18-2012
48 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opreich View Post
Leaked 3 items now Reinboom.

Also did bouurns help with this? He was always taking ideas for the shop interface.
Yes, it's been hard not to spill the beans on this while looking at all the ideas people have been posting. We actually had a prototype that is very similar, which we did user testing on a year ago and I've been holding my tongue since then!

Adalore

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

I am just hoping for a third button next to Recommended and All items, that has custom input stuff that can be edited outside the game or something. Maybe even the unmodified state says where it can be edited, and specifically out of game.

Also a nice difference between all champions and champion specific stuff would be handy.

boourns

UI Designer

11-18-2012
49 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Reinboom View Post
The new item shop uses no code that was exclusive to the old item shop.

I'll make a note of this, definitely.
Yes, we burned the old shop code with *fire.* It was painful, but necessary so we could provide more control to the game designers and better extensibility in the future.

boourns

UI Designer

11-18-2012
50 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertany View Post
Please make the scoreboard (if opened) overlay the shop! Otherwise it's really annoying to counterbuy.
Hmmmmm interesting idea

Beauneaux

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Hmmmmm interesting idea
not an interesting. the best idea.

hire this man and make it happen boourns.

rdavid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

what if u just BUFF TOWERS?