"Carry yourself out of your elo" How do as a support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fs Son0fSilas

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehomCD View Post
It's much easier on an aggressive support that you can make plays on and take advantage of enemy mistakes; the only way to carry on defensive supports is by baiting the enemy team and that's extremely dangerous when playing with players who are worse than you, since they may not react to take advantage of things you set up.

Sona, Zyra, Taric, and Leona are probably the easiest ones to carry on, since if people make blatant mistakes you can pretty much kill them instantly. Support Zyra is my personal favorite since she's pretty obviously overpowered atm. In addition to just murdering lanes, it's pretty easy to get baron or dragon steals as her against bad junglers, and anyone who ever attempts a bad tower dive will usually wind up getting their team aced against a Zyra.

Which support you play should always be based on your carry and the enemy team's support/carry, though. You'd never play, say, Sona with Vayne, or Leona with Ashe, etc.
I understand why you wouldn't go Sona and Vayne, but in your opinion why is Leona+Ashe bad? Easiest stun lock in the game AMIRITE? Leona has become part of my support rotation is why I ask.

--------------------------------
I've had a lot of success with support in solo, but it best to bring someone you can communicate with in duo. Other wise i'd suggest taking a solo lane. Annie, Rumble, Taric my top 3 most played in ranked. Around 60% win rate was enough to get me from 899 to 1312, however that was over the course of over 100 games almost.

OriginalJack

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSilas View Post
I understand why you wouldn't go Sona and Vayne, but in your opinion why is Leona+Ashe bad? Easiest stun lock in the game AMIRITE? Leona has become part of my support rotation is why I ask.
Ashe's burst is really lacking compared to almost every other adc so she can't take advantage of leona's chain cc very well. It can still work but she's one of the worst people to pair leona with. Leona works best with somebody like Ez or Graves who can dash in and blow the other carry up quickly while Leona has them stunned. You don't want to pair Leona with somebody who's trying to sit back and just farm safely while occasionally poking like Ashe or Cait. You want somebody who wants to get in the other carry's face and put the hurt on them.

TehomCD

11-15-2012

Quote:

--------------------------------
I've had a lot of success with support in solo, but it best to bring someone you can communicate with in duo. Other wise i'd suggest taking a solo lane. Annie, Rumble, Taric my top 3 most played in ranked. Around 60% win rate was enough to get me from 899 to 1312, however that was over the course of over 100 games almost.
Leona absolutely has to commit when she wants to fight someone, so you need very high burst in order to win trades with her. Ashe wins her lane by poking safely, and doesn't have any burst to speak of aside from volley, which puts her in a very dangerous position until level 6. You're right that at level 6 Leona and Ashe are extremely threatening, but until they reach that point they're in a really bad way, and most people will capitalize on that and zone/kill Ashe and Leona earlier. Corki is the most popular AD with Leona, contrasting his burst with Ashe's for example.

Ashesz

11-15-2012

There are 2 really easy ways to support yourself through low elo.

First- Get your AD carry so ridiculously fed that he can solo lane for a few seconds while you roam and get other lanes fed. People dont expect roaming supports.

Second- Play carry supports. For example, Zyra is super strong. I build Philo, HoG, Kages, and then Death Cap. So I support and ward the entire game, but late game, I do "tons of damage" which they dont expect from a support.

Hope this helps

Skyhawke

11-15-2012

While some people have disagreed in this thread (and have valid points) I think playing Soraka might be the best solution for the problems you brought up. I just find that her heals, mana restore, and silence bail out the allied carry so much--especially if they're playing over-aggressive. Alistar might be a decent option, too, since he can provide a lot of defense while also "feeding" his carry kills. Zyra also fills a similar niche to what I mentioned with Alistar, while also scaling pretty well if you need to carry a bit more at the end of the game.

Overall though, carrying as a support means doing everything you can to help the AD Carry and the rest of the team. Does that mean you can 1v5 the other team? No. To be honest, I'm not sure that really happens too much in LoL (a lot more common in DotA from what I've seen). A Support carries in the sense that he/she focuses on improving all allies' efforts throughout the game. Yes there are certainly games where you can do nothing to help the clueless ADC, but I do know when I've "carried" a game playing support and that is an awesome feeling.

DrShroob

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk47 View Post
While some people have disagreed in this thread (and have valid points) I think playing Soraka might be the best solution for the problems you brought up. I just find that her heals, mana restore, and silence bail out the allied carry so much--especially if they're playing over-aggressive. Alistar might be a decent option, too, since he can provide a lot of defense while also "feeding" his carry kills. Zyra also fills a similar niche to what I mentioned with Alistar, while also scaling pretty well if you need to carry a bit more at the end of the game.

Overall though, carrying as a support means doing everything you can to help the AD Carry and the rest of the team. Does that mean you can 1v5 the other team? No. To be honest, I'm not sure that really happens too much in LoL (a lot more common in DotA from what I've seen). A Support carries in the sense that he/she focuses on improving all allies' efforts throughout the game. Yes there are certainly games where you can do nothing to help the clueless ADC, but I do know when I've "carried" a game playing support and that is an awesome feeling.
I'd actually love to play Alistar... if he wasn't banned in 100% of games.

Fs Son0fSilas

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalJack View Post
Ashe's burst is really lacking compared to almost every other adc so she can't take advantage of leona's chain cc very well. It can still work but she's one of the worst people to pair leona with. Leona works best with somebody like Ez or Graves who can dash in and blow the other carry up quickly while Leona has them stunned. You don't want to pair Leona with somebody who's trying to sit back and just farm safely while occasionally poking like Ashe or Cait. You want somebody who wants to get in the other carry's face and put the hurt on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehomCD View Post
Leona absolutely has to commit when she wants to fight someone, so you need very high burst in order to win trades with her. Ashe wins her lane by poking safely, and doesn't have any burst to speak of aside from volley, which puts her in a very dangerous position until level 6. You're right that at level 6 Leona and Ashe are extremely threatening, but until they reach that point they're in a really bad way, and most people will capitalize on that and zone/kill Ashe and Leona earlier. Corki is the most popular AD with Leona, contrasting his burst with Ashe's for example.
Thoughts on Leona + MF?

OriginalJack

11-15-2012

Quote:
Thoughts on Leona + MF?
I really don't like MF as an adc in general so no.

TehomCD

11-15-2012

Miss Fortune has a lot of great poke/harass in lane, so I tend to pair her most often with someone like Sona who kind of augments that. Taric isn't bad for similar reasons - stun for her to follow up with a doubleup and an auto or two, etc. I think she'd work with Leona better than Ashe would, but you'd probably need to time when to commit pretty carefully, with Miss Fortune ideally poking them down a bit before Leona goes on them. I think MF/Leona would want to get to teamfights, because comboing their ults would be scary as hell.

Blue Scarlet

11-19-2012

I play the support role as Leona and I've noticed a lot of folks have been playing her lately, maybe because she was on sale few weeks ago and she is usually free to play every now and then, but what I do with her since she is my main is I keep the enemy away from my adc and creeps so they can't farm well a simple small harass always works. I don't always expect my ADC to follow up my attacks so what I do is sneak in the bush and when their in range Hit with E then basic attack then Q then basic attack. This usually gets them running but if not W and run back into the bush if they still chase you your ADC will noticed the fight and start hitting so recommit into the fight so exhaust and by then your E with cool down and hit him this will give your passive to your ADC remember to put a basic attack in between your abilitys to give more damage output. I see a bunch of dam morons just spamming her abilitys and I'm like WTF?
So my basic harass attack order is this:
E -> basic attack -> Q -> basic attack -> W -> Exhaust -> basic attack....
I usually use my ULT to stop them from running away or escaping danger

SO yeah FEED your ADC and you basically win the game and be sure to always protect em no matter how ****ty they are because they are mostly the ones who can turn the game around. Their called Attack Damage Carrys for the reason and you support.

^.- \/,, hope my little rant helps