Why should we respect others' religion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Light LaserTower

11-15-2012

To prevent wars .... you know.. the leading cause of wars is religion.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elan Tedronai

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppazAndDakka View Post
I try to respect people's beliefs when I can. The problem is that religious people are often the most aggressively intolerant hiding behind the guise of their faith. The easy target here in America is Christianity, who preach love and such and complain whenever someone "attacks" their religion, yet are the first to back laws that keep down the rights of others because "it's against their religion" even when it doesn't affect them. Remember, it's only real equality when it favors you!
You paint a rather one sided picture. There are closed minded and aggressively intolerant people on both sides of the coin. It's those outliers that we read about. No one posts on the internet or writes news articles about the kindhearted Christian that helps those in need and doesn't judge or condemn people for contradictory beliefs. No one writes about the tolerant atheist who minds his own business and lets the noninvasive religious people live their own life. No, the only thing we hear and read about are the lunatics on both sides. The religious nut that things gay people should be killed or the atheist jackboot that mocks and ridicules beliefs he doesn't agree with.

Social and professional media delivers to us only the most fantastic events and not the standard, average and most common events. Who cares if Christian Grandma helps some homeless people? Who cares if Atheist Joe helps displaced Christians after a violent storm because they're fellow human beings? No, the media tells us people are intolerant but in my day to day life, I've found the opposite to be true.

This thread is the perfect example that radical atheists are starting to look a lot like radical theists. Radical theists want to suppress and limit the rights of others. Radical atheists want to do the same. The finger really shouldn't be pointed at theists or atheists as a whole. The finger should be pointed at the extremists on both sides that can't leave other people alone.