Why should we respect others' religion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MadSeer

11-14-2012

I can't respect a religion that puts man and woman on a different level of equality. I also can't respect a religion that would bring harm or persecute someone for being different. But it all boils down to someone's interpretation of their religion. There are some good Christians out there, but you also have people like Jon McTernan, who are complete hypocrits. They constantly quote religious books, but only the parts about gay people, for example, and they completely ignore the parts where it said if a man raped a woman he had to pay the woman's father then MARRY HER. Or they say that Sandy was a punishment of God for their treatment of Israel, but completely ignore you when you bring up World War 2 and Hitler being safe from any natural disaster after killing so many jews.

It boils down to extremism. Religious extremists are inconsiderate, hypocritical dicks. I can respect someone that believes in God: I think the concept of God is as believable as a guitar with a sombrero creating the world by hitting a magic drum 5 times, but I can't prove that there's no God of any type out there. If the religious person is a good person and doesn't seek to brainwash everyone or to shove his religion down everyone's throat...I can respect him. Otherwise, nope. Most Islamists can also go **** themselves, as I go back to my point about men and women equality.

standin

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campir View Post
Holy fuck, so by asking him to discuss why certain laws are based in Christianity and disagreeing that some are, I'm complaining?

It's a discussion, you're really going to chew me out for civilly discussing something? I don't care if he proves me wrong, I want to discuss the damn thing.
You really don't seem like you do. You only ever seem like you're out for blood.

standin

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberleh View Post
Annnd you continue to dance around the point Campir. I'm going to bed/eating/doing art or something more productive than this.

<3 you Standin!! <3 <3 <3
Have fun beautiful!
<3 you moar <3

c4lm

11-14-2012

Death Penalty - How is this the the result of Christianity?
Who made this law? Think the old adage of "an eye for an eye" didn't weigh into it?

That actually originated in Judaism and, in Catholicism at least, is a fairly controversial passage.

Jim Crow Law - According to Wikipedia it is a law that existed nearly 40 years ago and largely dealt with racial segregation? Can you elaborate on how Christianity influenced this? Or how this is relevant in current day?
Mixing of the races/people's is forbidden in the old testament, and is never ok'd by the new. The effects of this law still impact living americans today.

I believe the proper christian response would be "it was metaphorical" :P. Honestly I didn't know that, can cite you the Old Testament passage?

Slavery - Elaborate. Also I said relevant laws. I'm fairly certain slavery in the US isn't a huge thing right now.
Slavery isn't legal no, but again, it's impacts people and business still to this day. Having generation after generation of land owners leaving their estates to the next generation to inherit, is incredibely helpful to those following generations, it's how many people go to college, or buy land themselves. My great-great-great grandfather's farm greatly impacted even my father's inheritance, as it will mine. +There's a lot of big american companies that got rich off of slave labor. Really america's standing in the world as the #1 economy is the result of slave labor being legal here longer than in most places, allowing the US to prosper with it longer. Still revelant, +1.

See, that's a pretty good rational. SEE HOW MUCH I'M LEARNING AMBERLEH?

Contraception Laws - Eh, sure. That's one.
+1

Sodomy Laws - I said relevant laws.

There are still anti-sodomy laws on the books in many states. +1
Can you cite a couple? NOT TRYING TO NITPICK, GENUINELY WANT INFORMATION HERE STANDIN AND AMBERLEH.

The halting of stem cell research - +1

the teaching of creationism in public schools/the forbidding of teaching evolution in some schools - both failures of US education system, it's laughable either of these things exist.
+1 Evolution is real my friend. It's part of how we classify animals in biology for christ sake. If you take biology in school, evolution is a big part of it.

I know evolution is real. I was saying it's laughable that it can legally be taught in public schools.

the forbidding of teaching evolution in some schools - like, say, christian schools? Wouldn't that make sense?
If it was only christian schools sure, but the fun state of kansas has repeatedly outlawed evolution taught in public schools. You should look into the many recent Kansas state supreme court ruling and you'll wonder if they stuck in the year 1812, not 2012 +1

OMG MORE KNOWLEDGE.

school prayer - once again a short coming of your education system.
+1

defunding of planned parenthood - I guess, I'm not an American so I don't understand it fully.
+1

Barring women from gainful employment in churches - What? Women have no trouble gaining church employment, just not as priests in most denominations. Kind of like how church doctrine might forbid abortion or enforce chastity. If the woman doesn't like not being a priest, switch denominations.
So...+1 then?

Not really, if you join a religion with the intent of becoming a priest when you know there are gender restrictions, you're an idiot, not a victim.

Churches exempted from property taxes - eh, sure.
+1

Liquour stores closed on sunday - most stores close on sunday. Nice try, atheism.
Most stores close early, they're not legally forbidden from being open, and it's not like people don't want to buy alcohol just because it's sunday. +1

So it's not a law. That's a pretty major criteria for the list of "relevant laws influenced by Christianity"

Want more?

Sure, keep in mind it's hard for people to fathom how terrible your country is.

c4lm

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by standin View Post
You really don't seem like you do. You only ever seem like you're out for blood.
You've never really discussed anything so I don't expect you to understand.

Colonel J

11-14-2012

Why should we respect others?

Should all people be respected, simply because they are labeled "human beings"?

standin

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campir View Post
You've never really discussed anything so I don't expect you to understand.
You just don't like to read actual conversation. I'll discuss quite a bit when im not senselessly attacked by the S gang, you or Fruity. She\he started all this **** today. It's why I pressed her about responsibility and not living up to her claims.

c4lm

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by standin View Post
You just don't like to read actual conversation. I'll discuss quite a bit when im not senselessly attacked by the S gang, you or Fruity.
Are you seriously a real person? Go fuck yourself.

W/e I'm out of this thread. Gave the whole "be a productive contributor" thing a solid 10 minute shot.

MadSeer

11-14-2012

I wish I knew where that debate started and what it's actually about.

c4lm

11-14-2012

Me to, I shall consult Atticus!