Jungling 101 From a Gold Jungler

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fireside Poet

11-18-2012

CS question.

Whenever I jungle, I feel as though I have pretty good map control and awareness, and my ganks are around average. I seem to have a hard time successfully building a decent CS by 10-15 minutes though. I can't seem to balance ganking and farming effectively, and in addition, i feel it takes me much too long to clear camps.

Could the clear time be a simple runes/masteries issue? Are the attack speed runes a must have on jungles? (atm I use ArmPen runes and Damage Quints as a general jungle page for AD)

And how can I better balance my farming and ganking?

TMG Annihilate

11-18-2012

Is shyvana a good jungler to start? It seems her ganking potential is incredible. You can gank an overextended lane, then when they run, carry them back in dragon form and maul them.

TNP Kubz

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside Poet View Post
CS question.

Whenever I jungle, I feel as though I have pretty good map control and awareness, and my ganks are around average. I seem to have a hard time successfully building a decent CS by 10-15 minutes though. I can't seem to balance ganking and farming effectively, and in addition, i feel it takes me much too long to clear camps.

Could the clear time be a simple runes/masteries issue? Are the attack speed runes a must have on jungles? (atm I use ArmPen runes and Damage Quints as a general jungle page for AD)

And how can I better balance my farming and ganking?
I never have and never will use armor pen runes on a jungler.

Use flat AD runes and Quints, or try move speed quints.

TNP Kubz

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by End Of The Age View Post
Is shyvana a good jungler to start? It seems her ganking potential is incredible. You can gank an overextended lane, then when they run, carry them back in dragon form and maul them.
Shyvana is a great jungler to learn, I'd definetley recommend her. Fast clears, great counter-jungler and great ganks.

Amatzikahni

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside Poet View Post
This is something that takes lots of time and practice to learn. Basically, I focus primarily on two things: camp timers/clearing efficiently and wards/map control. When I get near a lane for any reason, I'll do a brief look and see if it's worth it to gank, and if not, I'll just keep going about my business. However, since I usually only do Wraiths and Wolves then run around and clear wards, I'm almost always near a lane, so I attempt to gank quite frequently. If you focus on ganking first, you will be behind levels when you just keep running up and down the river doing ganks and never get any CS.

My ganking usually looks something like this (as Purple starting after a top gank):
Run to mid. Check if mid's gankable; if not, get Wraiths.
Check if mid's gankable again. If not, run behind the tower and go to Wolves if it's up, or to their Blue if not and clear wards.
If I went to their Blue and did a bit of counterjungling, gank mid while running through it regardless of the circumstances.
Clear the river of wards while going bot. Check to see if it's gankable or pulled; if so, gank, and if not, either establish lane presence, debate about a lane/bush gank, or go to Wolves.
Clear Wolves. Check to see if mid's gankable. If not, run to Wraiths. They should be up.
Clear Wraiths. Check if mid's gankable. Debate about running to mid, top, Red, bot, base, golems, or to clear a newly-placed ward somewhere.
etc.

In some circumstances, you have to be proactive. If one of your lanes is pushed and, playing it from the other side in your head, you can assume their jungler wants to come and gank it, run straight for that lane and try to meet him to stave off the gank or to join the fight and countergank.

You should also keep map awareness at all times. If their jungler is ganking bot, you can zone top for a brief period of time and try to harass him back 2v1. If their jungler just ganked top, you can quickly 3v2 bot and push hard then have mid force a dragon (since their ADC and Support will be forced to miss lots of CS and XP to their tower if they want to stop it or force you back).

Always have timers on buffs and try to meet them either for a gank or a steal. If lots of enemies are missing, it may not be wise since you can get caught, but if they're in lane, it's easy to tell who's going which path and when (for calculating escape routes).

Personally, if I can't get about 5 kills+assists by 10 minutes, I'm generally far behind since I haven't cleared many camps near the start. Once you can clear camps really fast, your CS should stay relatively level (as in, if you were behind 50 CS early on, you should still only be 50 CS behind throughout the game). This is due to fast camp clearing and taking lane CS after ganks or when your team isn't grouped. If you pick a clearing jungler who doesn't gank often, your CS will be much higher, but I prefer level 3-4 gankers the most (Lee being my only often-played exception).

Jalkan

11-18-2012

Do i use AS or AD marks when jungling jax

iDpark

11-18-2012

both work, AS scales a bit better IMO, but Ad is perfectly fine.
Take either, I say AS works well because of ult passive, and I usually get gunblade, so it does some damage and gives me spellvamp.

Wicked Khaos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

Hey there! I've got a few questions for you as Jangling is really the only role i cannae do.
1-How do you jangle Shyv? I hear alot of people actually do jungle with her whereas i prefer to solotop as the Dragoness
2-Trundle, he seems like he could be a grandd Jungler on paper, but i wanna know if i should even waste my time farming 3.2K IP for him. Would he be viable at all in the S3 update?
3-And in general, what are some tips/tricks you do that you'd like to impart on us

MrVigglesworth

11-19-2012

What are your thoughts on Trundle and his jungle viability in ranked games?

Like one of the other posters in this thread, Shaco is my main jungler. I've found he can be quite viable in late game if I'm split pushing while the team holds a lane. The key to that strategy is isolating one player from their team, quickly sprinting to the 4v4 in the other lane and making it a 5v4 in your advantage.

If I'm super snowballing I go wriggles > mobility > infinity or black cleaver > phantom > ga.
If I'm doing ok or going against a high damage team I go wriggles > mobility > trinity > infinity or black clever > then choose accordingly to their team.

Both builds are good for different types of team comp/play styles.

I'm finding it hard to drop Shaco from my jungle main status because he's so good at controlling dragon (can solo at lvl 6), ganking enemy junglers and working around bush/river wards.

TNP Kubz

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Khaos View Post
Hey there! I've got a few questions for you as Jangling is really the only role i cannae do.
1-How do you jangle Shyv? I hear alot of people actually do jungle with her whereas i prefer to solotop as the Dragoness
2-Trundle, he seems like he could be a grandd Jungler on paper, but i wanna know if i should even waste my time farming 3.2K IP for him. Would he be viable at all in the S3 update?
3-And in general, what are some tips/tricks you do that you'd like to impart on us

Jungling Shyv is honestly easier then I thought. Basically, you start with her W and then grab Q at level 2, then E at level 3. Max W, then Q, then E. Its so simple.

Trundle just isn't a viable choice period.Most junglers have the same clear times in Season 3, they just lose more hp. Trundle is a champion that gets kited easily and no matter how well you do, you just can't carry as him. Although viable in some team comps, personally I never touch him.

Tips for jungling, pick your spots to gank and counter jungle. If I see the enemy jungler bot lane, I'll go counter jungle or gank mid/top. If one of your lanes is low, assume the enemy jungler is going to go gank there and be there to counter gank sometimes.

Know your buff timers. Against certain junglers you'll need to be on top of it and get your buffs right as they spawn. Especially if your mid is a mana dependent champ like Anivia.

Pick and build your champ for the comp. If you don't have a tank or front line, pick someone like Mundo, Shyvana or Amumu. If you already have a tanky bruiser, then you can opt for more damage like a Riven.