AD Malphite?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

octavian1127

10-15-2012

Malphite is easily one of my favorite champs (since lvl5, before i knew he was OP). I've been thinking about his kit and builds, and why is he built as an AP tank? His ratios are terrible and he has a 60% AD steroid. I mean even if you're building him as a bruiser, you can easily get 200 AD and still be tanky as hell. When you pop your W, that's 320 AD for 6 sec. Is this just something nobody has thought of, or is it just not as viable as i think it would be?

Resent

10-15-2012

It's not viable at all. He's build as an AP Tank, because that's what he gets ratios in, and he does most of his damage in magic damage, but it doesn't mean you build straight AP on him. It means you can build limited items like RoA, Rylais and Abyssal Scepter, but that's about it, maybe even a Zhonya's hourglass. Other than that you'll be building tank items such as Omen or Frozen Heart. You want to support your team with team-oriented items. Your E reduces attack speed. Synergize with the Omen and/or Frozen Heart to completely destroy their chance of fighting you. Generally you will only pick Malphite vs semi AD and/or AS teams, where you can completely counter them.

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

Actually, a tanky Malphite with some AD can actaully be quite effective.

I used to play him that way, actually, and did a lot of work.

I switched back to the more or less pure tank build because atmogs + IE was just a little too expensive.

That said, it's pretty darn funny when malphite crits the carry for 1000 damage.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

Malphite is best built as tanky. As you have said, his AP ratios sucks so getting tons of AP is out. It only affects 2 of his skills anyways.

But 1 steriod does not make an AD carry type champion either, especially as a melee with zero AD-scaling skills.

The best bet is to go really tanky and with lots of CDR. 40% CDR = 67% more spammage which means more slowing the enemy, more hozing their attack speed, and more damage dealt. This works way better than trying to actually scale his skills damage.

If you realy wanna do AD, though, consider a Triforce. With a triforce and sufficient tankiness he can play as a tanky DPS, with the nice ability to hoze AS and permaslow enemies, plus his great initiation.

You still need solid defenses though since you intent to space out your skills, and some CDR.

So a triforce with Frozen Heart, Abyssal Scepter, Warmog, ionic boots might work. Items may vary but you are looking at needing lots of CDR, good chunk of armor/MR, and some kind of health booster. Abyssal increases all your spell damage with the aura which helps allies since you are gonna be in close.

Essieu

10-15-2012

I prefer AP malphite because as it was mentioned you can go triforce and do some good DPS and be really annoying to any AD. But most fights that malphite is in are decided by burst since his ulti is often stacked with others. So building AP gives you more burst and increases that synergy even more. AND Ap malph is really fun mid.

My build finished looks something like. And some reasoning behind it.
Merc/Tabi boots
-Just get whatever you need depending on the game. It really doesnt matter to much.

Shurelyias
-Your initiate, take this. One of the best utility items in the game. And the CDR is nice. Builds out of Philo as well which you should be getting.

Randiuns
-You ult in and pop this along with your E and that AD carry is back to lvl 1 AS if not below that. Builds out of heart of Gold and really good utility.

DFG
-Gives you a little bit of punch and extra burst. Also builds out of Kages so you get that huge economy early game.

Abyssal
-Pretty standard on Malph he ults in, lowers Magic resist, does magic damage. You get the picture. Also should keep you safe from most magic damage.

Zhonyas or Frozen Heart depending on what you need.
-Okay, before you laugh at the Zhonyas, you get a lot of AP and a lot of Armor (which his E scales off of) So you get a huge damage increase as well as an awesome utility, that allows you to make up for being a little more squishy than usual.

-Frozen heart is just another standard item on really any front line champion right now. So you get the picture, if your having mana problems and need more sustained tankiness then take this over Zhonyas.

SavageWolves

10-15-2012

Sunfire Cape is also a really good item on malphite.

HP scales his shield, and armor scales his E.

And the AoE combined with his other AoE is just plain nice.

Shuntake

01-27-2013

I'm still fairly new, but I play Malphite a lot. I usually play him AP tanky like I would Annie, only more of a tank and less ap. Sometimes I build more ap. The thought came to me last night about using ad Malphite and using his q and r as a way to get to an enemy before popping the w.
It's definitely not the best way to play Malphite, but it is pretty sustainable. I found that if I got left soloing a lane then I could hold it better since I could kill an enemy by myself without being Tanky Support.
I'm not a strong player so tanks and backup are my preference, but ad Malphite gives a good source of power while using his natural tankiness.
Also Malphite is not placed in the "tank" category, even though everyone counts him as one.
I would suggest using AD Malphite if the rest of your team is tanky (i.e. Darius, Blitzcrank, Annie, someone who gets lots of health.) Otherwise AP tank is the way to go.
A simple build I used for AD Malphite was
Wriggles / Boots / Phage / Frozen Mallet / Greaves / Black Cleaver / Phantom Dancer and leaving for 1 situational item.
Wriggles helped early game due to the bonus on minions and monsters, once I got frozen mallet; chasing and attacking became easy and got my team easy kills. (plus the health bonus that comes with mallet and cleaver helps and wriggles has armor.)
That is how I build AD Malphite, and it works, fun to play and not too squishy.

GeneralStan

01-27-2013

The correct way to build AD Malphite now is Sword of the Divine + Infinity Edge and the rest tanky. Your W before you jump in, and then your R-E-Q combo should obliterate a carry

X4N4T05

01-28-2013

Yeah... i've seen an IE/Atmogs Malph combo a Vayne and 1 shot her. He finished 15/4, but we finally beat him. The one time i baited him into ulting me, our vayne got a pentakill tho... Tanky malphite is safer and you still have some damages. Crits for 1k from a tank are always fun to see.