Why do we not have a champ where they release their full potential on ult

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Z32

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zliplus View Post
This reminds me of Secret Boss Dizzy and her absurdly over-the-top pseudo-instakill move.

That being said, the description would more accurately sound like Dragon Install'd Sol.
Oh screw boss dizzy. I remember she had an overdrive that gave her full autoblock for like 5 seconds, it was ridiculous.

Falleth

11-15-2012

I guess you could fake "full potential" by making your ulti switch your gameplay direction.

Something along the lines of Jekyll and mr Hyde;

You would normally play wimpy man in a suit and tophat, throwing knives at enemies, using potions for supportive effect...

then boom, you use your ulti and transfrom into three times bigger monstrosity, using broken tree as a pole to smash stuff - or not even that, just deformed huge fists, a bit slower animations showing how he gains momentum for attacks/moves and pretty loud, strong sounds to accompany that.

Doesn't really have to impact the balance that much.

Beas7ie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

How about we get a champ like War/Death from Darksiders? When they ult they turn into Chaos/Reaper form dish out all kinds of pwnage. Would be awesome.

Renaito Yuujou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

So, I've thought a bit more about this idea, and here's what I got:

The actual effect of an ultimate form is much less important than how flashy it is. When Goku first went super saiya-jin, it was thrilling (and one of the most iconic scenes in anime/manga). Even though he did so, he did not immediately win, but it was nice to look at. I think Griftrix said it earlier in this thread, the feel of an ultimate form is what you need to capture, and that's a job for the animation team more than the design or balance team, I think.

That said, the ability itself, I think, should work as follows: A mana based champion would be best in this regard. I'd have all their abilities not use a whole lot of mana, but have the ultimate (which unlocks their ultimate form) constantly drain mana at a much faster rate than Swain's ult. If I were to make it, I'd have it multiplicatively or percentagely increase the following stats: Total AD, AP, move speed, attack speed, MR, Armor, crit chance, and HP/5 (but not MP/5). The downside of this ability would be that it's a toggle ability, and once you reach 0 mana, it starts to drain your HP at an even greater rate. In almost all fiction I've seen, the "ultimate form" is said to threaten the user's life (even though it never really does due to plot armor). For a game, you can easily show this by having it actually drain the user's life force (HP) once they run out of MP (ki, chi, fighting spirit, whatever) to fuel it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Soo... all mana, has a minimum requirement, and all other ability cooldowns must be up, and it also uses them all? This sounds interesting to me (not a designer) but I have no idea of where to begin to balance it. Maybe it could do the affect of all your other abilities at once + something special since it's also on ult CD. after that... yo'ure auto attacking for a bit, so I hope you're a bruiser!
Not exactly what I meant, I had simply meant that it completely consumes the user's mana and does more for the amount of mana consumed. So using it with 5000 mana would have a much greater effect than with 1000 mana.

zliplus

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z32 View Post
Oh screw boss dizzy. I remember she had an overdrive that gave her full autoblock for like 5 seconds, it was ridiculous.
Well yeah, but that's good news - that's your cue to GTFO or die. Can you imagine the horror if her AI-only overdrive did not have the startup time?

Edit: oh, i just realized you were talking about the EX mode move.

TBCTabash

11-15-2012

Maybe a different take on the idea, but how about a champion that gradually transforms while using their abilities. Think along the lines of the PFE skin, but instead of being tied to levels, it would be tied to a build up along the lines of Shyvana, or a collection based on ability use, along the lines of Rengar's necklace but affecting abilities and appearance instead of an item/stat buff. Once they collect enough to activate their ultimate, all of their abilities gain an enhanced effect for a short duration, or maybe they can release all this stored "energy" in an AoE blast.

Anasthera

11-15-2012

Interesting

Lamis

11-15-2012

karma.. fit this in every way

TheJan1tor

11-15-2012

::coughRYZEcough::

habahnow

11-15-2012

some people posted a similar idea but ill just repost.

lore/aesthetic part of Idea:
a while back somebody posted an idea that relates to what is being mentioned here. a normal looking being that does not have any apparent strength. this being is inhabited by a supernatural force, whether it be a demon, ghost whatever. when the ultimate is activated, the supernatural force begins to control his/her body. the change to the character model should be somewhat drastic. either their physical form changes completely (similar to that of shyvana) or a type of noticeable aura ( such as ghosts/demons surrounding the champion). of course the champions main abilities, whatever they were, would change. I also feel that the character, pre transformed, would exude a very "whimpy" attitude while when the champion transforms, their demeanor is more threatening. this would help emphasis the change because of the contrast in how champions different "forms"

in terms of mechanics and balancing:
the problem i find about this particular idea is finding what role this character should fulfill. one idea i like is maybe an AP mage. another could be support, but then idk how the transformation could be supportive.