Why do we not have a champ where they release their full potential on ult

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Z32

11-15-2012

Problem with the idea, from my perspective, is that if a champion is super-duper strong and just holding back (or limited by some outside source) until they pop their ult, then why does their ultimate have a limited duration and a ~2 minute cooldown?

If it was as simple as "I take off this article of clothing that was holding me back and now I kick ass", then why ever put it back on? If you change up the idea a little bit, it can make more sense within the mechanics of leagues ultimates, but then you've kind of lost the point of the original idea.

So in my mind, in order for it to work properly, it'd need to be a toggle with some sort of associated resource cost. For example; I'm going to create a champion out of my ass here real quick to illustrate my point.

X
The Y of Z
Passive: Another Autoattack Enhancer that applies a stacking on-hit effect
Q: AA reset that deals bonus damage and applies a special effect on next hit. Has a unique bonus on targets afflicted with passive, bonus improves with number of passive stacks on target
W: Passive: Steroid of some kind (probably MS or AD)
Active: Mobility/escape ability
E: Some form of damaging CC that improves/changes depending on the number of passive stacks on the target
R: Toggle: passive on-hit effect is improved, max stacks increased, steroid of some kind (probably AS)
-Q: gains another bonus effect, bonus effect from passive increased
-W: active gets a bonus effect (resistance steroid or ms buff or something)
-E: more damage and a special bonus interacting with passive
-AA's cost mana while ult is toggled on

Just as an example; the idea being that the ultimate lets the champion fight to their full potential and synergies with a passive that is integral to all of the abilities in the kit. However, the cost involved is that it applies a cost to that inherently dependent on-hit passive, meaning there's a limited amount of time that the champion can maintain that form, and that amount of time is directly proportional to the amount of fighting they do, which can reflect the sort of fatigue that is caused when somebody fights beyond their limits for an extended duration.

I'd favour to have the resource limited directly by player action (like aaing) over simply a cost/time system like swains ultimate, just because I feel like that would incur to heavy of a mana penalty (and therefore dependence) for trading in lane, especially for an ultimate that does no direct damage on its own.

Raptor J3sus

11-15-2012

lets see, Riven, trynd, Nasus, Renekton, jax, alistar, volibear, shyvana, kha'zix

These are all examples of what you are trying to ask about for an ultimate, where the champion
enhances their selves to overcome a great feat.

/thread

Dig Imaptpie

11-15-2012

Are you saying we should give Jax a real weapon? Morello has mentioned he has his eyes on Jax along with Nasus and Soraka for people needing a bit of work :P

(Jax of course already had his ult that's similar to what you want, but being undefeated is a bit of potential to have)

Arroo

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Yeah, I totally get that, but sleeves without hand holes are lame compared to a metal vault on your arms.
http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Ovan

I dont know if you have played any .hack GU but I think this character has something in the vein of what you are talking about. To put it simply that locked case on his arm keeps a dangerous power locked away. Flavor speaking is that more in line with what you're thinking about?

Zertryx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

Quote:
Yeah, I totally get that, but sleeves without hand holes are lame compared to a metal vault on your arms.

Basically you are reminding me of an anime Movie called "Straight Jacket" where in order to use "Alchemy / magic" people had to wear these special suits after being covered in runes to protect themselfs from over exposure because if they used it out of the suit they could transform into a supernatural beast and end up going postal

Basically you could have a similar idea to were a champion wears a suit to restrict his powers (kinda like how jax cant use real weapons because he's too good) but as an ultimate he burst out of the suit covered in runes and his ability's could be enhanced doing some burst combo (the burst of the suit itself could have a giant BOOM aoe kinda like zero suit samus in Super smash bros)

or he becomes similar to some kinda Archon type with a ball of flames or aura around him that does dmg over time for a short duration before the suit flys back on and all his abilitys go on CD and his auto attacks are enhanced (but make him possibly ap so people wouldnt abuse full ad builds or they would suffer normal abilitys)

Straight jacket suit - http://i.animecrazy.net/xjaymanx_strait_jacket_0001.jpg
Video trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gowqwvulfZs

Roy

11-15-2012

This is what I feel should have been done with Xerath...

They show his form without any energy (where he's imprisoned) and he kind of looks like a cocoon. Then there is the Xerath we know, that has unleashed his form and has energy showing.

I think normally Xerath should have been a floating cocoon essentially, and when he activated his ulti/locust of power he would expand to the form we see him on Summoner's Rift.

Just my .02 cents on a missed opportunity from Riot to make a "powered" up version of a champion.

SheriffV2

11-15-2012

Forget Super Saiyan Ulti Champions, we need Invoker Champions!

But Riot is mean and says a champion like that is too complicated so they won't make one... /cry
(The next best thing is multi-ability champions, like Nidalee/Jayce/Elise/LeeSin)

zliplus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw of Time View Post
How about a champion with a inner demon inside of him and when he ults, the Demon takes over and makes his abilities extra stronger?

Like Evil Ryu
This reminds me of Secret Boss Dizzy and her absurdly over-the-top pseudo-instakill move.

That being said, the description would more accurately sound like Dragon Install'd Sol.

FunnyBuddha

11-15-2012

Quote:
Disclaimer: I am not a designer.

I was just thinking about this. Did that thread asking for an eyepatch girl make you think about it too? What I couldn't figure out (and this is probably because I'm not a designer) is how to make it so that the base characters isn't weak and/or the full power version isn't OP.

Shyvanna might be a close example of this. Her ult enhances all of her abilities, and she also takes her "true form". Maybe it's just another flavor/fantasy of that you are looking for. I was also thinking about a character that might have some physical locks on them, maybe part of their body is bound, and the binding could be damaged by getting attacked or something (sort of like Shyvanna fury, but on damage not on doing damage) + over time ticking. I dunno, really talking about flavor at this point.

Thanks for bringing up the idea.

Make the Champ a support. Have he/she/it gain a "power level" for every level gained with out death. Creating "stacks". If you die it resets or halves or whatevers. If the support makes it 18 without death (tough to do) you have the max power unleashed. You imagine how the rest plays out.

FB

AoiAoi

11-15-2012

so would something like ezreals ult firing all of his skills at once too and depleting all his mana count? it would certainly make use of his ult be a more tactical move and since his AA is strong anyways when you build him AD it wouldnt totally gimp him afterwords. it would def make him more vulnerable though with all his skills on CD and no mana. i am just using this as an example i dont want ezreal changed at all.