Avast decteding Xiff.dat a a virus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fragment of Mind

11-14-2012

Patched without problems. It's just Avast, so if you trust Riot Games to not install malware on your system, just disable Avast for an hour or so when you want to game.

Fragment of Mind

11-14-2012

Finished installing and patching. Looks like it's playing fine. Just add the exclusion to your Avast file scanner.

Arthur Gibraltar

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duninn View Post
Any update on this yet? I had the same issue with avast today and ran the steps, but still have Riot Games folder in exceptions. Was wondering if it was truly a false positive and if it was safe to remove the folder.

Thanks
I'm contacting avast! team by avast!'s Forum, so we should wait for that. Looks like it's an false positive, 'cause with Virus Total scan, just avast! and G DATA detect the file as a exploit.

EDIT:

Contacting avast! at the link from this topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeCrazySam View Post
I am using Avast and I have not received this.
However, some other people are receiving the same issue: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=109499.0

Arthur Gibraltar

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duninn View Post
Ran the launcher and got a fatal error after all the steps were done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragment of Mind View Post
Same problem here. I tried the forum post that Arthur Gibraltar used, but Avast has not been fun. The folder has been added to exclusions, and it still picks up exploitable files. I've just uninstalled, and while re-installing from a freshly downloaded installer, Avast has picked up another file (already reported it as false positive). I cannot even install LoL now. I'm about to try installing with Avast disabled to see what happens.
The steps where originally writen by Aregionius, a "Senior Wrenchmen":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aregionius View Post
Fixing Post Patch Patcher Problems

If this happens the best way to fix this issue is:
1. Close any instances of PVP.net or the LoL launcher
2. Try running the game as an administrator, click on the lol.admin executable, or right click and select "Run As" "Administrator"
2. After the patch process finishes, hit the button with 2 gears in the upper right corner of your patcher and complete the repair process.
4. If that did not work, close your launcher and Delete lol_air_client and lol_launcher from (default path) C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\projects
5. Uninstall Pando Media Booster
6. Make sure you're up to date on your Windows Updates, http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
And you should have a special care when deleting files, as erasing wrong parts of course may create really undesirable fatal errors. If that happens, try to recover the file from the trash can. Oh, and I used the steps AFTER I got an error by avast! blocking my files. Don't do that if no error happens.

avast! has lots of excpetions lists, and you should add Riot Games folder to file scanning module's exceptions, otherwise it would keep breaking your game again and again. Or you can turn off avast! while updating like Fragment of Mind:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragment of Mind View Post
Hahaha. Just finished installing. Again, I turned Avast off to install, no problems yet. It's just started patching.