Mordekaiser Advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skoonie

11-15-2012

Hello, all. I bought Mordekaiser a while ago, and I love using him, but I've yet to win a match with him. I've looked him up on solomid.net and on YouTube, but even following the advice given to me, I still find myself not playing particularly well. As such, I have a few questions that I hope you guys can answer:

1. I start off my item build with Hextech Revolver, followed by Sorc boots, either Gunblade or WoTA, depending on my team comp; and go directly into Rabadon's, unless my team has little to no CC, in which case I rush Rylai's instead. Is this a good path for me to take, or should I add/replace an item to my core build? And which items should I focus on if I'm playing solo top?

2. Speaking of solo top, is Mordekaiser a good pick for this role? He has some decent sustain with the spell vamp gained from Hextech Revolver/WoTA/Gunblade, masteries, runes, and ult; has no mana, and that sexy damage shield from his passive. On the same token, though, it's also difficult because his skills revolve around pushing the lane as hard as you can. If he can effectively be played top, what are some good tips to remember, and which champs counter Morde in the top lane?

3. Can Mordekaiser be classified as tanky DPS like Garen? Or are his base stats just too low for him to tank effectively?

Again, thank you for your input.

Kyrie Friegraf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

1. You should probably get Boots of Speed, Hextech Revolver, and then Sorcerer's Shoes rather than rushing Hextech and then boots. Also I'm leery of Hextech Gunblade, and you shouldn't go Rylai's for CC but rather survivability, like if people keep jumping you and you're almost dead after every engagement. It's not bad to get if people always escape you, but Rylai's offers practically no slow for Morde since all of his spells are AoE or DoT based for a reduced slow. You should also consider Deathfire Grasp at some point since it works beautifully with your ult even in its nerfed status.

2. Mordekaiser is losing popularity as a solo top because people can just turn around and kick his ass now. I used to play him there, but now he's more of a mid champion because there's less poke in that lane to contend with and not as much of a chance of the enemy just 'pulling out a can of whoopass' and going for the kill in the short lane.

3. Mordekaiser cannot tank efficiently unless he is dealing AP carry level damage, despite what many people have thought to the contrary. His durability is just for himself, and not for the rest of his team.

Skoonie

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchXBanister View Post
1. You should probably get Boots of Speed, Hextech Revolver, and then Sorcerer's Shoes rather than rushing Hextech and then boots. Also I'm leery of Hextech Gunblade, and you shouldn't go Rylai's for CC but rather survivability, like if people keep jumping you and you're almost dead after every engagement. It's not bad to get if people always escape you, but Rylai's offers practically no slow for Morde since all of his spells are AoE or DoT based for a reduced slow. You should also consider Deathfire Grasp at some point since it works beautifully with your ult even in its nerfed status.

2. Mordekaiser is losing popularity as a solo top because people can just turn around and kick his ass now. I used to play him there, but now he's more of a mid champion because there's less poke in that lane to contend with and not as much of a chance of the enemy just 'pulling out a can of whoopass' and going for the kill in the short lane.

3. Mordekaiser cannot tank efficiently unless he is dealing AP carry level damage, despite what many people have thought to the contrary. His durability is just for himself, and not for the rest of his team.
I do start Boots + 3 health pots. I should've added that before posting, I guess :P Otherwise, thank you for your advice! But should I really go WoTA even if my team can't benefit from it?

TehomCD

11-15-2012

I'd just leave it at revolver unless you're in a double AP comp - I feel that you want to maximize Mordekaiser's damage as much as possible, since his contribution is entirely dependent on getting a ghost in teamfights, specifically the enemy AD carry. I feel he's pretty binary that way - either you get the AD carry and obliterate the enemy team, or you don't and are a pretty subpar damage-dealer without any CC.