Is Shurelia Really The Only Person Who Handles Balancing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerocaliber

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2010

Not to be mean or anything, but if that is the case, then Riot, you need more people on the balance team. Honestly, I really believe that whoever currently handles balancing does not understand the game well enough.

Heroes seem to always be extremes. Either extremely overpowered or extremely underpowered. Look at Xin. When Xin came out, he was way to powerful. He did to much damage and had to much survivability and was just not fun to play against. On the flipside, Urgot was released and his late game and skill set just make him more of an ulti bot and not really a good hero. The original Mal'zahar was also rather underpowered and not much of a thread initially.

You always seem to over nerf heroes too. Jax and Twisted Fate were both godly at one point or another. After nerfing them, you made each of them on the underpowered side. Jax was nerfed to the point were he can't even go toe to toe with the heroes he is designed to counter. TF was made into a stunbot and utility hero who has little damage. Kat is another example of this. Remember when she was nerfed to utter uselessness awhile back and it took you guys about 5 months to fix her?

The worst problem is that you never listen to the community and always nerf or buff the wrong way. Look at Garen. The problem with him is that he does to much initial damage and has terrible scaling. This encourages tank builds and is why he can take so much damage and dish it out. The community said the way to fix him was to increase his scaling and lower his base damage, yet it was his survivability that was nerfed. It is the same story with Ezreal. His issue was his early game damage, yet it was his late game that you really continued to hurt to the point where he is no longer that good of a range carry. All he needed was his initial Q damage toned down by a lot and his scaling increased, but you nerfed his lategame and slightly nerfed his early game.

Maybe I am just ranting, but it really does seam like riot never addresses the main issue with most of the champions, they always overnerf or overbuff, and they typically seem to release heroes in extremes.

Jessica x

10-06-2010

ye

JumboCactaur

10-06-2010

There seems to be a trend of late of making powerful early games and weak late games with poor scaling.

I don't care for it. Most games at the lower levels reach a late game. Maybe the hyper competitive high ELO stuff makes the early game matter a lot more, but most games I play end up being 45 minutes with 4-5 big items on a lot of people, with a reasonable chance of erasing early mistakes.

LOLno

10-06-2010

I have to say, when Riot goes to nerf a champion, a lot of the times they are nerfed a little too hard.

Malzahearty Soup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerocaliber View Post
The original Mal'zahar was also rather underpowered and not much of a thread initially.
Don't be hating on my posting.

Azuredragon653

10-06-2010

What would make you think they have one person doing champion balancing? Riot isn't that stupid.

Scarlena

10-06-2010

I think because she's the only one that talks on the forums a lot, people just try to get her attention.

Also, she makes the mistake of regularily saying 'i will work on it' instead of 'we will work on it' further perpetuating the rumor that she is more important than she is.

Ethelion

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLno View Post
I have to say, when Riot goes to nerf a champion, a lot of the times they are nerfed a little too hard.
Tell that to panth or jax

Garion

10-06-2010

Quote:
Not to be mean or anything, but if that is the case, then Riot, you need more people on the balance team. Honestly, I really believe that whoever currently handles balancing does not understand the game well enough.
i personally believe that they would actually understand the game as much as we do... or at least to the degree that they can handle balancing

Quote:
Heroes seem to always be extremes. Either extremely overpowered or extremely underpowered. Look at Xin. When Xin came out, he was way to powerful. He did to much damage and had to much survivability and was just not fun to play against.
Xin was OP because at that time his ult was too much damage i believe, and hes pretty balanced except for the ult part

Quote:
On the flipside, Urgot was released and his late game and skill set just make him more of an ulti bot and not really a good hero. The original Mal'zahar was also rather underpowered and not much of a thread initially.
UP is acceptable imo, u dont need to be good in all situations to release a champ, there is bound to be some champs that arent ideal for every team comp. its just like some ppl say Mal is good, while Elementz claims he is hard to place on a team, but we all know they arent horribally UP in anyway...

Quote:
You always seem to over nerf heroes too. Jax and Twisted Fate were both godly at one point or another. After nerfing them, you made each of them on the underpowered side. Jax was nerfed to the point were he can't even go toe to toe with the heroes he is designed to counter. TF was made into a stunbot and utility hero who has little damage. Kat is another example of this. Remember when she was nerfed to utter uselessness awhile back and it took you guys about 5 months to fix her?
TF is still extremely viable

Quote:
The worst problem is that you never listen to the community and always nerf or buff the wrong way. Look at Garen. The problem with him is that he does to much initial damage and has terrible scaling. This encourages tank builds and is why he can take so much damage and dish it out. The community said the way to fix him was to increase his scaling and lower his base damage, yet it was his survivability that was nerfed. It is the same story with Ezreal. His issue was his early game damage, yet it was his late game that you really continued to hurt to the point where he is no longer that good of a range carry. All he needed was his initial Q damage toned down by a lot and his scaling increased, but you nerfed his lategame and slightly nerfed his early game.
i personally think thats a correct path to nerf Garen. i find his W is amazing prior to the nerf, especially with just one point in it

i also believe that they are thinking of looking at Ez's scaling issue

Quote:
Maybe I am just ranting, but it really does seam like riot never addresses the main issue with most of the champions, they always overnerf or overbuff, and they typically seem to release heroes in extremes.
i actually think feedbacks like this can help improve the game, although we can use some less hostile tone =P

also, balancing doesnt OMG go complete in one patch, they might have more in stock and are just finalizing the other balancing issues...

all of the above are just imo

Carthias

10-06-2010

Quote:
Jax was nerfed to the point were he can't even go toe to toe with the heroes he is designed to counter.
This isn't an RTS, there are soft counters present in league but there should never be a case of "oh lol, they have X champion, now all Y type champions are completely useless."