The ACTUAL reason BFT is OP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ricedream5

11-14-2012

The real reason BFT is OP is because Haunting Guise was always secret OP on Dominion. The fact that it didn't build into a larger item was bad, but you seldom have all 6 slots being large items anyways.
What we're seeing here is the effect of players building Guise.

Let's look at the classic Teemo example. A shroom does 600 + .8 ratio. Let's say an enemy randomly has 80 MR, which is something like a bruiser with a hexdrinker. You have 30ish Mpen from Sorc boots and Mpen runes.
If you build Guise, you're now doing approximately 15% more damage. This is equivalent to at least 60 actual damage from the base 600 (after MR calculations) + an amount from MR. To do 60 more actual damage from AP, you would need at least *112.5* AP.
Even on a champion like Leblanc with 3.85 AP ratios, if she already has 200 AP, she gains *OVER 85 AP* worth of damage from just 20 Mpen over a full rotation lategame.

Of course the CDR and Passive are nice adds, but Mpen synergizes with ALL AP damage and is the real reason BFT is OP. (In other words, quit building Ionian and derpcaps with large rods with no mpen)
That and BFT is broken and shouldn't refresh on every tick of DOT.

Evelynn Butt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

There was nothing secret about Haunting Guise being a good item on Dominion.

Risemix

11-14-2012

Sorry mages are killing your bruiser.

Only thing OP is its interaction with Teemo.

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Nidalee traps trigger BFT...

SuperQuackDuck

11-14-2012

Though i must say. After i bought bft on singed, suddenly people started running away from me like im a monster...

Ragias

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperQuackDuck View Post
Though i must say. After i bought bft on singed, suddenly people started running away from me like im a monster...
They still chased me and died a terrible death. I was almost worried I was low elo. =(

Grantson

11-14-2012

Anything with long DoT gets unintended bonus damage from it.

I'm surprised to see a lack of Morgana and Mordekaiser user testing out BFT in dominion. But yes I have notice more Singed, AP Malzahar, and Cassiopeia users.

Reynmaker

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperQuackDuck View Post
It's almost like they design these things without thinking of champion interaction at all. A damage over time item for AP casters. How did Singed and Teemo not jump out at them ?

No in house database ? No simulator for damage calculation ? No common sense......

Warrrrax

11-15-2012

Im not sure Guise was 'secret' exactly, but your analysis is perfectly correct about why flat MPen is quite good in dominion. No reason for downvotes.

To fill in the math gap, if you drop a bruiser from 50 MR to 30MR, this is a damage increase of....

50/150 = .33333 reduction. If did 1k dmg, now do 666.
30/130 = .2307 reduction. If did 1k dmg before, now do 769

Going from 666 to 769 is a boost of 15.5%.

-----------
However the torch is not just good because of Guise. As I examined earlier, it is extremely cost effective for the stats provided. You don't say that DFG was overpowered because Kage's Pick was OP do you? No, that has nothing to do with anything really, except that the path towards building a particular item might be more or less ideal. Thats a minor part of an item analysis though.