Vladimir

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Breylin

11-14-2012

Just tried him a few times since he's free this week and I LOVE him. I'm just wondering if he is viable in 30s / ranked games, or if he's looked down upon. If he is viable, should he go top or mid lane? I've been playing him mid but a lot of people are saying he's top only.

Any help would be appreciated!

CerealBoxOfDoom

11-14-2012

He is but unlike in normals he's usually placed in toplane or as a countermid. He is not treated as the main source of AP damage. Oftentimes people will have an additional AoE mage to pair him with and do tons of nuking in teamfights.

Breylin

11-14-2012

Yeah I've been looking up a lot of different builds for him and some people even consider him an off-tank, is that true? I usually mid veigar but vlad seems a lot less squishy.

CerealBoxOfDoom

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breylin View Post
Yeah I've been looking up a lot of different builds for him and some people even consider him an off-tank, is that true? I usually mid veigar but vlad seems a lot less squishy.
despite popular belief he is in fact a fighter champ. Think of him like the diana of hp. He tanks damage he deals damage and just sustains really hard.

one of his jobs is to be that ****hole who ruins attacks and eats a bit of damage and does mass slows just because he can. He is not a lover of the laning phase. The later game is kindof his thing. You can build him to have a strong start but there's always a price like with any champ. I think he's pretty strong against poke heavy teams

Breylin

11-14-2012

Hmmm the more you guys keep talking about him the more I'm loving him!! So it seems like he'd be a perfect partner with veigar for teamfights...veigar could do his stun, vlad uses ult, etc etc hmmm has anyone tried comboing veigar and vlad on a team before?

So I'm trying to plan out my core items for a build, not really sure the 'best' items to get. Any suggestions?

Cottzytellamas

11-14-2012

I've just started out playing some ranked, 2-0 with vlad (this and last season), but I played him plenty in normals prior.

Laning really early is weak against a lot of champions, until you get hextech revolver, at which point you can heal through almost any poke. I usually like to pick up a haunting guise after that, as it is quite strong on Vlad, and I'll pick up Merc treads (or tabi, but usually treads) since I have mpen from runes and the guise.

Rest of the items are situation: If you aren't being focused and want more damage, go for a rabadans. If the other team is pretty balanced/your team lacks cc, or you just want to get a bit tankier, rylai's is strong. If they have mainly AD, rush a zhonya's. Mainly AP, abyssal.

Any combo of the above 4 will finish up your build quite strong. Also, upgrading hextech to wota will aid your mid a ton in teamfights (assuming you play him top, which I like to do personally).

Edit: Sell the guise late game if you need the spot, as it does fall off comparatively to a lot of other items.

Breylin

11-14-2012

Thank you, that was very helpful! I've also read that some people pick up a warmogs for him, is that any good for vlad?

Does a Raba and a Woog stack?

How about a deathfire grasp (a fav for me)

How important is cdr for Vlad?

CerealBoxOfDoom

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breylin View Post
Thank you, that was very helpful! I've also read that some people pick up a warmogs for him, is that any good for vlad?

Does a Raba and a Woog stack?

How about a deathfire grasp (a fav for me)

How important is cdr for Vlad?
I dont think theres a mode where you can get rabadons and wooglets
I think dfg no longer has CDR
I have no idea if he cares about CDR but he does spam alot

Breylin

11-14-2012

Ah, okay then. I was just looking through the item list, didn't realize the items were different for other game modes. Thanks!

Cottzytellamas

11-14-2012

Rabadan and Wooglets aren't in the same game modes, so no worries there.

I used to get DFG mainly for the cdr, but I don't like it as much after the nerfs. However, if it is an item you like, it will definitely still add some damage to your combo, so feel free.

I don't like to get Warmogs on him, since I tend to have plenty of health by stacking AP + Rylais. That's moreso my playstyle than anything though. If I was going to go more balls to the wall, I might pick up Warmogs, but I just feel there are more cost-effective options for the way I play.