Public Service Announcement: Normal Games=/=Prac Games

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vanilla Squid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2010

Didn't expect everyone to be in a clamor over bots. You say you don't learn much by playing against bots? Then DON'T PLAY AGAINST THEM. Play against REAL people. There are plenty of them in practice mode, those "5v5 try new champs" games aren't VS bots you know?

I've had some more intense matches in practice than I've ever had in normal. It's not a baby-version of the game, it's the same thing without ruining someone's day.

GPEternity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2010

Playing against bots gives you a false idea of how powerful the champion is.
Playing practice usually results in you fighting SotD WW and other experimental builds, again not giving you an accurate representation of what champions are fully capable of.
Playing in normal pairs you with more tryhards who do try to play properly and give you a much better reading on what your character can do.

I can target Garen first and still win a practice game 2v5, does that mean I play a good Ashe? No, it doesn't.

Gahiga

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy Times 7 View Post
Didn't realize there were so many tryhards in normal...

Practice games blow for non-serious games because as unseriously people take normal games, practice is 10x worse. Plus, it's more helpful and fun playing human opponents.

Who the **** wants to play against bots? I mean srsly.

I'm not advocating purposely playing bad in normal, just using atypical strategies or strategies that people generally agree are worse than others (AP kat, AP ez, AP garg, etc.)
This doesnt change the fact that the first time you do something in this game shouldn't be a normal game.

Practice games aren't long, they give you an idea of what kind of damage/healing/support/whatever you'll be doing, get you used to your skills. give you practice with being fluid in your build. Teach you how to better last hit (might be different with new champs or different builds) etc. etc.

These are all things you should learn from a practice match that will make you IMMENSELY better for your first normal match.

Nagus

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taenshi View Post
Yeah since my highest rating is 1800+ I honestly get banned everytime I try to do practice games or people never want to be on the opposing team against me....If it wasn't for normal games I would never get to play any new champions or strategies without tanking my ranked ratings.
Host a prac game?

Kuraito

10-06-2010

I'm surprised at just how violently people are opposed to trying new things in normal games in this thread. My first time as a Jungler was also my first time playing Xin Zhao and it was a normal game. I did FINE. When you get 300+ games under your belt, I hate to sound arrogant, but frankly, adapting to a different champion is something you can do very quickly. Within a game, you should be able to play it fairly competently, and game or two after that you should be able to use advanced tactics.

The rules of the game, positioning, last hitting, ect. are all fairly universal. You don't NEED to go back like it's a completely new game every time you change champions, they just are not that different to require that.

Gahiga

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuraito View Post
I'm surprised at just how violently people are opposed to trying new things in normal games in this thread. My first time as a Jungler was also my first time playing Xin Zhao and it was a normal game. I did FINE. When you gets 300+ games under your belt, I hate to sound arrogant, but frankly, adapting to a different champion is something you can do in a game or two and that's to start being really GOOD with them.

The rules of the game, positioning, last hitting, ect. are all fairly universal. You don't NEED to go back like it's a completely new game every time you change champions, they just are not that different to require that.
Cool, I'll remember this, then when we get put together I'll play like total ****. I mean, you obviously dont care to ensure you'll be at your best for the match, so why should I? We'll ride feeding losses together.

kFrog

10-06-2010

Too bad practice games generally require 2-4 human players.

Personally I like to sit back, turn on a movie and practice early game jungling strats, mana management through different item builds, etc..

And the last thing I want to do is try out a new champion vs an unplayable-in-ranked-format team. How many times have I seen an all-star lineup of auto-bans ... problem with trying new things in normal games is the other team is often times seeing how badly they can win with a team that under no circumstance would be playable in a ranked game.

DavetheBravÍ

10-06-2010

Quote:
Try your new champ in a 1v1 bot game against Ryze
WTF? ryzebot has an elo of 2000.

Dapacman

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinoa View Post
Personally, I turn to normal games if I want to try out something new or just have some fun since it doesn't count to a ranking or anything. I save the srs mode for ranked games...that's usually how it goes for level 30's anyway.
I have to fully disagree. Because it's a "normal" game does not make it an excuse to feed ridiculously and leave more often. I think that's more what OP was getting at. People still try to win when they play. If they aren't trying to win, then they should be banned for disrupting gameplay. Honestly, somebody feeding and then going "Who cares? It's a normal game" should be a ban-able offense.

Kuraito

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahiga View Post
Cool, I'll remember this, then when we get put together I'll play like total ****. I mean, you obviously dont care to ensure you'll be at your best for the match, so why should I? We'll ride feeding losses together.
You are a very bitter and angry young man.

Also, that game with Xin Zhao? I was one of the major damage dealers. We won btw, with me having the second best record. First time Jungler, first time Xin Zhao.

It is NOT that hard to adapt to a different champion. Hell, I picked up Heimer(post nerf)for the first time in a normal game on a dare from a friend and once again, solid record, we won the game. If you play this game enough, you will be competent with ANY champion. If you are not, I suggest playing more ARAM, that'll teach you to adapt and adapt quickly.

You do need to play the same champion over and over again to grasp certain advanced tactics and practice things until they become reflex, but you just are NOT going to get that from playing practice games. That only comes from playing the champion for real, time and time again, which means, sadly, Normal Games. I'm sorry if you are in some low ELO hell where someone playing a champion for the first time means they suddenly forget everything they've learned about safe positioning, but that just doesn't happen in my experience.