Public Service Announcement: Normal Games=/=Prac Games

First Riot Post
123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kuraito

10-06-2010

Using Practice games to actually Practice is really a joke at level 30. By that point, you SHOULD have enough understanding of the game that you will gain very little by going against bots. As an example, I just recently picked up Xin Zhao, but having as much play time as I have, I didn't really NEED a practice game to tell me anything and slaughtering bots were unlikely to do anything but make me over-estimate my abilities. My first 2 or 3 games were a little rocky as I got used to what fights I could initiate into and which I could not, but playing practice games would not have done anything to help me with that. Only actual games against real people will.

I hate to disagree as it's something I've said to new players in the past, but for level 30s Normal games ARE the best place to practice and it will be that way until Riot designs much tougher bots. There just isn't enough a level 30 player can learn from a practice game against the current level of bots.

Taenshi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinoa View Post
Personally, I turn to normal games if I want to try out something new or just have some fun since it doesn't count to a ranking or anything. I save the srs mode for ranked games...that's usually how it goes for level 30's anyway.
Yeah since my highest rating is 1800+ I honestly get banned everytime I try to do practice games or people never want to be on the opposing team against me....If it wasn't for normal games I would never get to play any new champions or strategies without tanking my ranked ratings.

Mershin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagus View Post
I'm tired of people trying new champions in normal. You can if you want, but only after trying them in one practice game at least.

I'm tired of idiots 3 queueing into normal as a laggy lan party, then triple D/Cing 5 minutes into the game. Practice games can tell you your ping. If I ever suspect lag, I run a practice game to find out my ping, then leave.

Normal is not the new practice. Try your new champ in a 1v1 bot game against Ryze (he goes top every time). Try out item builds. Read the skills. THEN go to a norm game. Leaving the prac has no detrimental effects.

My way of trying a new champ is: 1v1 bot game. 5v5 Bot game with teammates. 5v5 practice match against real people. 5v5 norm game. This way you get pretty comprehensive knowledge of your champ, and don't embarrass yourself.

TLDR: Some of us want a first win bonus, and don't appreciate leavers and feeders.
I must disagree. Normal = New Practice.
Practice = ARAM.

Have you tried finding a practice game of level 30s to adequately try a character?
After "maybe" trying a new character in a practice once (if it doesn't have a 2-4 human player requirement), normal is the way to go. They count for very little...

Mershin

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taenshi View Post
Yeah since my highest rating is 1800+ I honestly get banned everytime I try to do practice games or people never want to be on the opposing team against me....If it wasn't for normal games I would never get to play any new champions or strategies without tanking my ranked ratings.
Yeah exactly... my rating is in the 1300s and I have 400 normal "wins" and I get banned out of half of the practice games I try to join, because levels 1-10 people don't want to play against level 30s (which I understand). Normal is practice for us...

Tali

10-06-2010

Quote:
Personally, I turn to normal games if I want to try out something new or just have some fun since it doesn't count to a ranking or anything. I save the srs mode for ranked games...that's usually how it goes for level 30's anyway.
Casual players like myself take normal games seriously. We don't need people playing champs for first time in a normal game, it's just as frustrating as if they tried it out in a ranked game.

Gahiga

10-06-2010

Quote:
Awesome, glad riot staff pisses on normal games. You guys seriously need a PR department to check your "brain to mouth valve"

Vanilla Squid

10-06-2010

"it doesn't count to a ranking or anything" ? We get this not only from a red, but from Customer Support? It's counting toward your permanent win/loss record. It's counting toward your total takedowns. It's counting toward your total minions slain. It's counting toward your Normal game ELO! The thing that determines what players you'll get matched with next game. The thing the is entirely responsible for elo hell. Just because it isn't as plainly displayed as ranked game elo doesn't mean that it does nothing or IS NOT BEING COUNTED.

Are you simply unaware that you have a completely functional and existent elo for normal games?

SethCypher

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidalwar View Post
I agree with Rinoa. Normal games is an okay place to try things out. Plus as pointed out in this thread you cant play a one man practice game and almost everyone wants to try or get there hands on Swain so. Plus if I spend money on a bundle I wanna get all I can from it.
The problem with trying out practice games with champs is that you don't really feel anything at stake, at least some people. In practice games you don't have the pressure of elo or a win/loss, it's just there to have fun or something.

ExpertSockThrow

10-06-2010

The only way to actually get good with most characters is to try and (maybe) fail in Normal games. I played Ezreal in practice, but I get my real experience and growth trying new things in Normal. Eventually I'll get a lot better with him, but right now I have to focus on not dying as I try to find the best item combination while also contributing to the team in a meaningful way. (Guides don't do much for me- I have to find what works for me.)

So, maybe they're not trying them for the first time... maybe it's the second, they're just not as good with them yet.

Seventy Times 7

10-06-2010

Didn't realize there were so many tryhards in normal...

Practice games blow for non-serious games because as unseriously people take normal games, practice is 10x worse. Plus, it's more helpful and fun playing human opponents.

Who the **** wants to play against bots? I mean srsly.

I'm not advocating purposely playing bad in normal, just using atypical strategies or strategies that people generally agree are worse than others (AP kat, AP ez, AP garg, etc.)

123456 ... 7