Item Preview The Storm

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-14-2012
22 of 23 Riot Posts

Quote:
So the TL; DR is ... Riot sucks at balance and is asking the players to find the abusive cases?

It seems Teemo and Twitch are drooling over this. Kayle is left out in the cold....
You could interpret it as that.

But stepping back - We have an internal team of pro players that handle balance but even so, the actual players vastly outnumber us in every single way conceivable.

If we have ever fully solved a problem and fully balanced it without player feedback / testing it doesn't mean we're good at balance - it just meant that the problem was shallow and fairly easy on the grand scheme of things - given that it only took hundreds of playtests rather than the millions of plays players will do.

octavian1127

11-14-2012

Kinda disappointed that this won't interact with Lulu's passive. It kinda eliminates her as a potential user for the item since the idea for it seems to be either building AS/AD with little to no crit, or building AS/on-hit to maximize acitve/passive on-hit abilities that a champ already possesses.

And in reference to Kayle, will she proc Tiamat with her Righteous Fury or is it like Jayce/Nid/Elise in that it considers her a ranged attacker when it's active?

Rippyman

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathy Aro View Post
But haven't you expressed the desire for more varied builds? If IE/PD/BT is strictly better than any other AD carry build you lose a lot of potential for depth since you take away a lot of possible choices. If its an actual trade off for damage vs. safety then its ok, but core implies that you build these items regardless of the situation, which isn't very interesting.
I think the problem they are trying to solve isn't "There are items that are core on many AD carries" but more "There is a one item deviation between two builds that 95% of AD carries always take"

dustyspells

11-14-2012

I am still confused with some of the specific interaction.
1) If Caitlyn shoots from bush with hurricane, would her get 2 X 3 = 6 stack of her headshot passive with single autoattack from bush?
2) You said it works on Corki's hextech sharpnel. Would it then apply 10% of hurricane's damage (which is 50% of your total AD) as true damage? or would it be 10% of your total attack damage?
3) Would it work with new Black cleaver passive? (apply armor reduction to hurricane bolts?)
4) Is there any chance that hurricane bolts will hit nearby neutral jungle monsters and draw their aggro?
5) I am still a bit confused how it works on next autoattack modifiers. Would it not work at all with them or would hurricane bolts will trigger but not apply next autoattack modifier effect? If the former is the case, would it cause some odd situations that you actually lose net damage output by using autoattack modifier skills? Let's say your Vayne tumbles and attacks enemy. It will do 50% extra damage to primary target, but you will lose 2 X hurricane bolts(each dealing 50% of your AD) if hurricane does not work at all with next autoattack modifier.

xethik

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyspells View Post
I am still confused with some of the specific interaction.
1) If Caitlyn shoots from bush with hurricane, would her get 2 X 3 = 6 stack of her headshot passive with single autoattack from bush?
2) You said it works on Corki's hextech sharpnel. Would it then apply 10% of hurricane's damage (which is 50% of your total AD) as true damage? or would it be 10% of your total attack damage?
3) Would it work with new Black cleaver passive? (apply armor reduction to hurricane bolts?)
4) Is there any chance that hurricane bolts will hit nearby neutral jungle monsters and draw their aggro?
5) I am still a bit confused how it works on next autoattack modifiers. Would it not work at all with them or would hurricane bolts will trigger but not apply next autoattack modifier effect? If the former is the case, would it cause some odd situations that you actually lose net damage output by using autoattack modifier skills? Let's say your Vayne tumbles and attacks enemy. It will do 50% extra damage to primary target, but you will lose 2 X hurricane bolts(each dealing 50% of your AD) if hurricane does not work at all with next autoattack modifier.
For 5, I believe it will still Hurricane, just not apply those effects. So TF can Gold Card and hit 3, but only stuns and does bonus damage to one.

Lunaria

11-14-2012

it totally seems like this + malady is going to make teemo the most OP little punk in the world. especially considering the toxic shot is all of his damage and the actual attack is just the delivery method

henchdog

11-14-2012

The more I read of this thread the more I am inclined to think that the 'on-hit' part of this item is going to be too difficult to balance - it looks like it could give a massive power boost to particular champions. Particulary champs like Cait with auto-attack countdowns.

I could see it working if it just proced 'item' on hits; this would be great for an on hit build, but the champion interactions seem really intense and complicated.

Pintash

11-14-2012

This does two amazing things. It makes on-hit viable (hopefully) AND it makes crit-chance not always the best option for ADC.

TOO... MUCH... ITEMIZATION...

Xyph rules.

ff6shadow

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyspells View Post

Assuming I've read and understood everything I've been following the past weeks:

3) - Yes
4) - Yes
5) - Vayne should get the bolts and the bonus damage, but the bonus damage will only apply to the primary hit. (Iffy on this one)

Blazing Pascal

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
I'm pretty sure Teemo's Poison is just too strong on live at the moment overall, even against single targets.
Oh dear... please don't nerf teemo again. How many times was teemo picked at the world championships? Can we at least wait until he is viable at a competitive level before we nerf him?

My first thought when I saw this item was "Teemo might actually be good again!" Remember, this does not increase his single target damage, and he still has his global taunt effect during a team fight. If he is in range of 3 champions, how long is he going to live?