Item Preview The Storm

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NotBuzzJack

11-14-2012

So we have items named after: Kitae, Morello, Statikk, Runaan, Guinsoo, and Shurelia.

Xypherous is there an item named after you coming up?

Pnutt79

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

So wouldn't this Item be hard countered by Thornmail. Everyone buys it and you pretty much kill yourself?

RudBoy

11-14-2012

Vaynes Q work with this ?

Ace Dangerfield

11-14-2012

How does this work with Blade of the Ruined King? I'm currently imagining a level 9 Kog who has Hurricane and BoRK, and... well... he's scary.

Also, you've said that Kog is 'currently' using his W with all three bolts. Is this currently very strong? Are you considering changing it?

BuilderBob93

11-14-2012

More Graves fun facts:
I assume BT will be changed with the item update. But assuming it isn't.

Graves right now is scary with BT-PD. He also isn't crit dependent for damage until late late game, often IE is the last completed item because LW is much better damage/price at that point and a defensive item is also necessary.

Let's assume graves builds BT into hurricane. This isn't some kind of build that will gimp his damage; it has comparable single target damage (lose significant crit but gain a bit of AS) to the BT-PD build and much better total damage. IE-PD-LW obviously way outdamages it single target. But that's also more expensive and less comparable.

This will have no crit or movespeed. HOWEVER, Graves has ~1.8 AS with this and Quickdraw. Each aa reduces quickdraw's CD by 3 seconds, also dealing double the normal damage (spread across 3 targets) and lifestealing, accordingly, double the normal amount. So Graves quickdraws. In 4 seconds he can get ~7 autoattacks off, however he only needs 4 to refresh quickdraw .

So basically say hi to ~3 second CD quickdraw along with lifestealing double the normal amount. bleh. Massively survivable graves inc.

Andarel

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibelon View Post
First impressions can be mistaken. But I have two concerns.

First, I don't see how the arithmetic works out on this to be comparable to the impact of other items on damage production....

-cibelon
Your math is a bit wonky.

The attack rate formula is Base ASPD * (Sum of aspd% bonuses) - For Caitlyn, at level 10 she would be gaining 0.668 * 0.6 attack speed, about 0.41 aspd total. If she had build absolutely no other attack speed (reasonable) it would be bringing her attack speed from 0.86 to 1.26, approximately a 45% increase in single-target DPS which is absolutely terrible for a big-ticket item. When you consider that your split attacks can't crit the numbers get even worse than that lategame, but midgame you go from 100% damage to 145% x 2 = 290% damage, half of which is uncontrollable. That's high, sure, but Infinity Edge gives you about 60% damage from the AD alone, plus a rough estimate of 160%*2.5/4 = 100% damage bonus in crit (compared to pre-IE), and even more than that when you factor in itemizing for more crit - 260% as a rough estimate, often higher either immediately or soon after. These numbers are still rough because the multiplicative scaling on IE makes things weird, Xyph would no better but basically the Hurricane is perfectly reasonable and the fact that it splashes damage makes it much less destructive than powerful single-target itemization.

StupidBlank

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Phage checks each time. The bolts will trigger all the secondary effects like Warden's Mail and Thornmail - so if you suspect the opposing carry is going Hurricane - you may want to scatter one or two "revenge" style passives in your item build across your team.
So will it apply Frozen Mallet and not phage?

I'm a little confused on that item.

BigThangSwangin

11-14-2012

Nunu would not have any mana problems with this item

MEMEME670

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Yes, there is quite a bit of hesitation. However, this is the perfect time to try things that are.. well.. crazy and might not work in the long run.
Try things EXCEPT Hurricane + Tiamat, right?

I think you should put this somewhere in your posts because right now they seem to work together, by everything you've said.

Also, try not to put too many of these random rules everywhere ("Ok so tiamat works on vayne, but hurricane doesn't..and if I get hurriance on cait then I don't want to get Tiamat...etc.). They help balance and are nice but it seems like you might be adding giant burden of knowledge to the game which is something you guys seemed pretty against in years past.

Zerglinator

11-14-2012

So, CAN Kayle buy this item, since she's typically melee and her Ranged mode isn't a toggle?

Will Melee champs be restricted from buying this entirely?