Item Preview – The Storm

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Andarel

11-14-2012

2 questions actually:

- Still wondering about the details of headshot stacking (posted detailed question on page 76)
- Do the extra shots run the risk of triggering item "ripostes" like Thornmail damage return or, more importantly, Warden's Mail / Randuin's Omen "revenge" passives?

Minister of Pie

11-14-2012

I know you guys do extensive testing and whatnot....but does this not just seem a tiny bit TOO good? It's practically a must buy for anyone that could benefit from it.

On an adc, after i have my IE, BT etc...what possible reason would i have to NOT build this item?

฿orn To Die

11-14-2012

nice

h 2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Does Ashe spend mana faster frost shooting things with this? If so, does she charge the new Tears of the Goddess faster?

How do effects like Caitlyn's Headshot do their counting? If you're 1, 2, 3 stacks away from a headshot, does your next shot apply a headshot? How about if you're standing in brush?

BuilderBob93

11-14-2012

Are you guys really not worried about how this will almost inevitably have to be nerfed because of x ridiculous edge case (teemo comes to mind but not sure) and then forever be suboptimal for almost everyone else (much like Ionic Spark)?

Or do you think this won't be the case?

edit: I'm not sure if Graves would be OP or not because on the one hand it's ridiculous but on the other he basically forgoes crit as a source of damage. Hm. I bet it will be OP. BT-this-LW-GA. More survivable through massive lifesteal and perma AS bonus and very low CD dash.

CragBlade

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhois View Post
So what item is Kayle expected to buy? Since you said Hurricane doesn't interact with her, and Tiamat would be sub-optimal, does this simply mean we won't see Kayle players picking up either?
Kayle will probably pick up the new BC.

Beauneaux

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
It doesn't really interact with it at all. Hurricane merely shoots secondary bolts at units around what you right-click. The fact that his autoattack is now piercing doesn't make Hurricane shots piercing.
aww man i was hoping for crazy shotgun style twitch ults...

Critkeeper

11-14-2012

Caitlyn interaction:
Headshot, (Caitlyn's passive)

Every 8th / 7th / 6th basic attack deals 150% damage to a champion or 250% damage to a minion or monster. Attacks from brush increase the attack counter by two instead of one.

So if i'm standing in the brush, and i'm hitting 1 person with auto attacks and the two people next to him with hurricane, every shot I fire will be enhanced by Headshot on the primary target correct?

DeathScribe

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Teemo: Toxic shot will work on Hurricane bolts, as it toxic shot applies to every autoattack.
Oh, the TERROR!

cibelon

11-14-2012

First impressions can be mistaken. But I have two concerns.

First, I don't see how the arithmetic works out on this to be comparable to the impact of other items on damage production.

Two minor bolts at 50% each multiplies total damage dealt by 2. Then +60% attack speed - in the absence of other AS boosts - brings our total potential DPS to 3.2x what it was before the purchase. Sure, it may not all hit, but it's important to consider the ideal case.

What other item can one buy that increases potential damage by over 100%, let alone over 300%? I can only think of a few examples.

*One example of >100% would be a rushed Infinity Edge, with no BF sword purchase along the way. This could increase DPS by roughly 200% depending on the circumstances. Say, a level 8 Ashe going from raw base 69 AD - assuming no other items, runes or masteries (or her passive, for simplicity) - to 205 when averaging crit chance and including increased damage. If you buy the BF in between, the increase in potential damange when building to full IE is less than 100%, but as we don't yet know what the Hurricane is built from, it's probably best to just look at "total item effect."

*Ionic Spark, maybe, since it's 125 magic damage on-average-per-attack. Taking the Ashe example above (not suggesting a build here, just doing arithmetic), that would be >100% increase in DPS on average if it all lands.

*Phantom Dancer would arguably increase DPS by roughly 100% to a single target, including averaging out the crit chance. (Again, presuming no Zeal purchase along in order to look at total item effect.)

*An AP champ rushing Deathcap might increase their spell damage 100% +/- depending on their ability scaling. I can't immediatley come up with an example that high, though - because it's 182 base AP is always scaled for the particular ability in use, and ability base damage makes up a big component of the total damage. The cooldowns of most abilities would prevent this from being an increase to DPS, it would would just increase burst, at least for most champions.

I can't think of other examples of any single item impacting total damage production so much. Heck, it probalby makes sense to take it before IE in many cases, or at least between BF and completing IE - then you might lane with it, harassing supports, killing creeps... I'll certainly be trying it right away.

I guess I like the idea of an alternative to PD. But at first glance it seems to me that trading off PD's crit chance for this much additional potential total damage from Hurricane is likely to prove very popular. (Not to mention applying on-hit effects.)

Maybe it's not fair to think of this as a buff for AD carries in team fights. But that's how I'm thinking of it, and it doesn't seem like they need it. I hope there's been some serious play testing, because I'm envisioning more AD carry pentakills and more, faster surrenders.

-cibelon