Item Preview – The Storm

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skankintoopiv

11-14-2012

WHY DO YOU LEAVE OUT KAYLE. Can I get tripple splash damage with kayle? cuz I should. because, I always want more kayle buffs.

KinkouGhost

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

i like

Artum Tsumia

11-14-2012

Seems like a rather interesting item, more focused toward On-Hit builds but certainly useful on ranged champs in general. On an ADC, we might lose the chance to critical on the additional targets but should we hit 2 additional targets, we're getting the net damage output of roughly a critical hit (minus +% bonuses) on a consistent basis plus the full effect of our on hit bonuses from these additional targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz1972 View Post
Would Gankplank's q proc this?
Xypherous has said that Gangplanks Q is a melee attack as far as the system is currently concerned, so Tiamat would proc but not this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamphira View Post
will it split lulu's pix shot?
I could be wrong, but I do not think that Lulu's Pix passive is an on hit. For all intents and purposes it's a homing, linear skill without pass-through so only the main target would have the possibility of taking the additional damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazdoc View Post
Do the bolts apply lifesteal?
Lifesteal seems like it should be applied in full, though it's going to be effectively halved due to the 50% damage. It's up to two additional targets though for a total of 100% of the lifesteal effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardDeanFan View Post
Okay, another important question.

Vaynes "Silver Bolts?" Because dropping that x 3 in a team fight seems wrong.
While Vayne is specifically mentioned by Xypherous I think it needs to be pointed out why Silver Bolt probably doesn't work, and in fact probably would not work at all with this item. Basically, whenever Vayne attacks an enemy they get a stack of Silver Bolt, if Vayne switches targets, all Silver Bolt stacks are lost. Therefore, if Vayne had this item she would apply 1 stack to each target in turn with each attack with no enemy ever getting more than two at best since the additional hits would reset all other targets.

tom641

11-14-2012

So does Kogmaw's W count for this? Cause if it does I think it's time to pentakill.

ValiantValor

11-14-2012

Im afraid of twtich again.

mtl Suu

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buk Wild View Post
Twisted Fate stuns 3 people. (he also applies stacked deck to all 3...but seriously, a 2 second AoE stun on a 6 second cd? [AND he gets 15% cdr free])
I'm expecting it to not work with auto-attack modifiers. Most of these are melee (like Jax' empower) but I don't think they count as on-hit effects.

MASSTADEN

11-14-2012

oh man that looks so strong

UODK

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Hey guys. If you haven’t already, check out my [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=31152189"]initial post[/url2] about the itemization changes you’ll be seeing during the preseason. Today I thought I’d reveal a new item we can’t wait for you to get your hands on.

Ranged Carries traditionally have had the role of completely and utterly dominating a single target through high-capacity damage. However, many of our AD carries also have a substantial amount of Area of Effect damage that they currently are unable to specialize into. This leads them to an interesting paradox – I am a carry with strong Area of Effect damage, but I must itemize single target damage to stay relevant.

What if we could give you an alternative?

First of all, let’s examine what this item actually does:

[aws3]news/November_2012/2012_11_14_Item_Preview_The_Storm/Temp_Art.jpg[/aws3]

Hurricane allows your ranged basic attacks to fire secondary bolts at nearby targets. These bolts cannot critically strike but can trigger your other on-hit effects, such as Varus’ Blighted Quiver in the above example. This allows characters like Varus or Miss Fortune, already strong Area of Effect damage dealers, to specialize into Area of Effect damage if they’d like to do so.

Let’s delve further into specifics:

1. Hurricane triggers each time you attack.
2. Hurricane is not an on-hit proc, nor does it trigger off of spells or abilities like Mystic Shot or Double Up that apply on-hit effects.
3. Hurricane deals 50% of your total attack damage.
4. Hurricane applies the full effect of on-hit effects with each bolt.

Taking this further, let’s explore how Hurricane interacts with various champion abilities:

Varus – Applies Blighted Quiver on everyone hit, which can then get triggered by his other spells.
Caitlyn – Gains one stack of Headshot for each target hit. Fires Headshot only at the primary target.
Graves – Reduces the cooldown of Quickdraw for 2 seconds for each target hit.
Miss Fortune – Applies and stacks Impure Shots on every target hit. Activating Impure Shots will apply Grievous wounds to every target hit.

Champions that synergize poorly with Hurricane would be:

Ezreal – Doesn’t really have any effects that synergize with Hurricane.
Vayne – Silver bolts only applies on the primary target and requires consecutive hits to proc, thus Hurricane is mostly wasted.

We hope that Hurricane opens up some interesting build paths for AD carries looking to specialize in area of effect damage. While Hurricane certainly isn’t for every ranged character, we do hope that Hurricane allows carries to diverge from the standard path of single target damage in favor of a more AoE centric build they can use to gun down multiple opponents at the same time.

-Xypherous

• [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=31152189"]Preseason Itemization Preview[/url2]
  • [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2777657"]Item Preview – Tons of Mana, just one Tear[/url2]
  • [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2780671"]Item Preview – Dust Sweeping[/url2]
  • [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2795397"]Item Preview – It’s Tuesday [/url2]
What about Kayles E... when she becomes ranged, technically her E is a on hit proc, so would all 3 attacks proc the passive?

What about Life Steal?? The way I see it their are 4 ways this could work.

A) Your auto attacks are now considered AOE attacks and you life steal is cut by 1/3. Life Steal ignores the extra 2 bolts and you only get 1/3 as much life back on your single target as you do now. this would be a nerf having life steal + this item.

B) Your auto attacks are now considered AOE attacks and you life steal is cut by 1/3. Life Steal triggers the extra 2 bolts. Since the extra 2 bolts do 1/2 dmg, you are still only getting 2/3 effectiveness from your life steal. Example: 60% life steal on 100AD... now (100 * .60) = 60 life.... this scenario (100 * .20) + (50 * .20) + (50 * .20) = 40 life. 40 is 2/3 of 60. This is still a nerf to life steal if you have this item.

C) You auto attacks are not considered AOE and Life Steal ignores 2 extra bolts. This would make life steal give exactly what it does now.

D) You auto attacks are not considered AOE and Life Steal procs the 2 extra bolts. This makes life steal 2x as effective. Example: 60% life steal on 100AD... now (100 * .60) = 60 life.... this scenario (100 * .60) + (50 * .60) + (50 * .60) = 120 life. Major buff to life steal.

WhackedRak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Wow awesome. This feels like a Galaga style powerup. I really like where League is headed this season.

My question is are you implementing the on-hit effect bonus on a case by case basis. Vayne's silver bolts is an on-hit effect is it not? But it would obviously be too strong OR it would cancel itself every hit due to the consecutive target condition not being met. Another example, KogMaw with aoe autos at 700 range by itself would be pretty strong but applying the % health on-hit damage would be over the top wouldn't you think?

Adumbro Deus

Recruiter

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGC ICE View Post
......How is this not OP?
Either it's gonna be expensive or we're gonna see nerfs of the champions that use it super well.

In the former cause odds are it's gonna be a polar useless or core item.