Item Preview – The Storm

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zardoc

11-14-2012

TF+Runaan’s Hurricane=old Gold Card. GG

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Hey guys. If you haven’t already, check out my [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=31152189"]initial post[/url2] about the itemization changes you’ll be seeing during the preseason. Today I thought I’d reveal a new item we can’t wait for you to get your hands on.

Ranged Carries traditionally have had the role of completely and utterly dominating a single target through high-capacity damage. However, many of our AD carries also have a substantial amount of Area of Effect damage that they currently are unable to specialize into. This leads them to an interesting paradox – I am a carry with strong Area of Effect damage, but I must itemize single target damage to stay relevant.

What if we could give you an alternative?

First of all, let’s examine what this item actually does:

[aws3]news/November_2012/2012_11_14_Item_Preview_The_Storm/Temp_Art.jpg[/aws3]

Hurricane allows your ranged basic attacks to fire secondary bolts at nearby targets. These bolts cannot critically strike but can trigger your other on-hit effects, such as Varus’ Blighted Quiver in the above example. This allows characters like Varus or Miss Fortune, already strong Area of Effect damage dealers, to specialize into Area of Effect damage if they’d like to do so.

Let’s delve further into specifics:

1. Hurricane triggers each time you attack.
2. Hurricane is not an on-hit proc, nor does it trigger off of spells or abilities like Mystic Shot or Double Up that apply on-hit effects.
3. Hurricane deals 50% of your total attack damage.
4. Hurricane applies the full effect of on-hit effects with each bolt.

Taking this further, let’s explore how Hurricane interacts with various champion abilities:

Varus – Applies Blighted Quiver on everyone hit, which can then get triggered by his other spells.
Caitlyn – Gains one stack of Headshot for each target hit. Fires Headshot only at the primary target.
Graves – Reduces the cooldown of Quickdraw for 2 seconds for each target hit.
Miss Fortune – Applies and stacks Impure Shots on every target hit. Activating Impure Shots will apply Grievous wounds to every target hit.

Champions that synergize poorly with Hurricane would be:

Ezreal – Doesn’t really have any effects that synergize with Hurricane.
Vayne – Silver bolts only applies on the primary target and requires consecutive hits to proc, thus Hurricane is mostly wasted.

We hope that Hurricane opens up some interesting build paths for AD carries looking to specialize in area of effect damage. While Hurricane certainly isn’t for every ranged character, we do hope that Hurricane allows carries to diverge from the standard path of single target damage in favor of a more AoE centric build they can use to gun down multiple opponents at the same time.

-Xypherous

• [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=31152189"]Preseason Itemization Preview[/url2]
  • [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2777657"]Item Preview – Tons of Mana, just one Tear[/url2]
  • [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2780671"]Item Preview – Dust Sweeping[/url2]
  • [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2795397"]Item Preview – It’s Tuesday [/url2]

aren't silver bolts on hit though? Why make the special case to not have them apply?

ProfDrDeath

11-14-2012

Ok, let's have a quick look at our carries:

Vayne: Xyph said it, nay.
Ezreal: Nay.
Draven: Since his passive depends on crits, probably nay.
Tristana: Nay. Crit still outweighs this, also has a massive AS steroid.

Caitlyn: In the bush, every shot a headshot. Nothing major otherwise.
Graves: Quickdraw cooldown. Nice synergy, but nothing too big. Still, a nice incentive for pure AD on Graves.
Sivir: Pure AD is good on her for towerpushing and her abilities. Sounds interesting.

Ashe: Now can kite up to three enemies forever if they don't outmanouver her.
Corki: True damage on ALL them targets? Neat.
MF: Impure Shots just went through the roof.
Teemo: O.M.G. I'll HATE Toxic Shot now.

Kog'Maw: Au. Simple as that. The return of tank shredder Kog'Maw, now AoE with BotRK, Void Staff, this item, Wit's End and defensive item of choice. Because not focusing the tank is too mainstream.
Varus: See above.
Twitch: Ult, and you'll now hit the tank, the carry and two or more collaterals, setting them up for a deadly Expunge with lots of AD on the scaling.

Pluckin Penguin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

I like it

WelcomeToTarget

11-14-2012

Stupidly overpowered unless it costs 5k+ gold...

murlocmancer

11-14-2012

Would Teemo poision also work on these two bolts? But anyway this is a good addition for On-hit champs
But right now idk, seems a bit on the OP side but we shall see...And they wil balance it out ofcourse.

Zardoc

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomorian27 View Post
aren't silver bolts on hit though? Why make the special case to not have them apply?

Because true damage.

DiscworldDeath

11-14-2012

Might also be good for on-hit builds, since now on-hit will apply to 3 people rather than just 1. Mallet slow, Teemo DoT, etc.

Xpyder

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKuno View Post
What I am wondering is how the changes are interacting with other items such as Black Cleaver and the new items.
black cleaver will work with this, since it will work with any physical damage caused

Silver Saint7

11-14-2012

I thought they said they were going to nerf adc through itemization in some way? This item seems to be the exact opposite, its a massive buff for all adc. With the change in arm pen/LW increasing adc damage, and then if you simply consider this item replacing a PD in that is probably costs around the current cost (2800g) and PD is getting nerfed anyway. The Storm has more AS, less crit(but it doesn't synergize with crit), and no MS...ignoring crit damage it effectively doubles your DPS and at the worst provides more life steal, at the best devastating on hit effects adding more dmg or utility.

This item alone makes protecting the adc even more important as they are now equal to almost 2 or 2 adc in damage during a fight am honestly confused how this could possibly exist and be balanced. I could only see it ever being completely overpowered or completely underpowered as the passive seems too strong. Let alone its only good for one specific role, ranged AD, due to no defensive stats.