Item Preview – The Storm

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LordZeoLite

11-15-2012

frist thought.. "YESSS TIME TO KILL EVERY ONE WITH AP VARUS"

KiStorm

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZeoLite View Post
frist thought.. "YESSS TIME TO KILL EVERY ONE WITH AP VARUS"
My thoughts exactly.

KiStorm

11-15-2012

Xypherous can we expect any changes to runes or is this all hush hush?

Just struggle with setting up good runes for energy champions and finding places to fit CDR runes into setups.

PrinceDarknight

11-15-2012

So...this doesn't COMPLETELY break the game and re-write the whole meta...how?

Only cool, non OP as hell application is Twitch

The Star of Hope

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
4. Hurricane applies the full effect of on-hit effects with each bolt.

Taking this further, let’s explore how Hurricane interacts with various champion abilities:

Varus – Applies Blighted Quiver on everyone hit, which can then get triggered by his other spells.

Vayne – Silver bolts only applies on the primary target and requires consecutive hits to proc, thus Hurricane is mostly wasted.
I'm starting to see a pattern of unintuative interactions in item previews. In the examples above we can see Hurricane applies on hit effects to all targets, and this is carried through in Varus' case applying Blighted Quiver, however Vayne's Silver bolts is not applied, yet to a player these abilities appear to be the same kind of effect.

I can appreciate that there is a balance issue here, applying silver bolts would be astoundingly good (or astoundingly bad), but having seen counter intuitive interactions in other previews I am starting to be concerned that in practice I will often have to try an item on a champion to see how it works. If I purchased hurricane on Varius' first I would certainly purchase it on Vayne, only to be confused as to why it didn't work, but the worst outcome is where I purchase it on Vayne first, find it doesn't work, and subsequently never try it on Varus, as I assume it will not work.

I don't have a good solution for these cases. Perhaps there is a way of highlighting an effect or item if it works on your current champion and washing it out if it will not. Alternately, if special cases are being coded for specific champions they could be more consistant. ie. if silver bolts is too good to apply to other targets, but the item would normally apply it, then rather than code it not to operate, which will mean vayne never buys the item, code it to operate at a reduced efficiency maintaining the expected function and balance.

Simple Lie

11-15-2012

Ok, if it is a 'splash' that affects only 2 targets in a 300 range to the closest target, does that increase your range by 300 if you attack a creep and the champ is 300 units behind?

So, increasing teemo's onhit range from 500 to 800, if used right?

Isterio

11-15-2012

@ Xypherous

Graves getting his full passive stacks within 4 AA and pressing Quickdraw every 1.5 seconds (twice within 3 seconds)

Calculated: With a blue buff you have a 11,2 CD on Quickdraw let´s say you build this item and press Quickdraw+ a Nunu in your team 2,5 AS reached at level 12. You AA 5 times within 2 seconds makes 15 secs CDR on Quickdraw. Doesn´t that push him over the Edge????

Graves our new Ezrael? He has already more AOE but now make him slippery too?

Think about it, hope this thread will be read. Not saying it´s OP but it has the potential to get abused.

sheep0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

awesome!

Utico

11-15-2012

If you say the range is around 300 units, that's the exact range of Kayle's splash damage on her E. This item seems like it would be viable on her. You pair it up with the new Black Cleaver, Malady, and her Passive means that she should be shredding a lot of resistance.

Xyltin

11-15-2012

Quote:
We meant to buff AoE ADs, and instead, we buffed on-hit ADs, especially Kog'Maw
A nice article: http://www.reignofgaming.net/blogs/a-different-view/gentleman-gustaf/22363-the-gathering-storm

The dmg gained looks pretty solid on most champs (MF and so on), but when you look at Kog'Maw and the BT build: 205% dmg comapred to the PD + BT.
He doesn't really lose dmg to his main target and still deals a lot of AOE dmg.

I think that none permanent on-hit effects should be ignored (Kog's W, MF's W healing reduction, Kayle's E bonus magical and AOE dmg).
There are only 3 cases of such a skill i think.
MF's healing reduction woulnd't hurt her. The bonus dmg on W is permanent.
It seems to actually not work on Kayle currently.
So only Kog stays there with his increadible dmg gain.

There could also be a rule that reduces the dmg of temp. on hit effects by 50% or so, but i would actually reduce every on hit effect by 50% (ashes slow only halfe of the inital slow, ...)