League of Legends.. just a broken game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rev Jeckel

11-10-2012

Now I am sure I am going to get a "Play better!" or even a tl;dr on this one, but I felt I should say something about this as not only I but most my friends on LOL have slowly just stopped playing. I am not going to go into this character is OP, or anything like that, but I really think the matchmaking in this game is broken.

First, I am only level 15, and I am not "That" good. I mean there are lots better, and that is cool. But it seems each time I play I keep getting matched up with higher level people, or groups of people of a much higher skill rating. I am just going by wins and what they do in game to determine this, and as that is usually the best way to tell.

Games seemed to always be full of people trying to find lower level people and take advantage. Now I understand this is a competitive game, and your going for the win, but when you are in a group of 15's and you get put against 30's.. that is just kinda bad.

So.. what do you do? Make another character, try again at lower level.. Well you can't, as a friend suggested it, but when he tried. The people in the group he went against (Also all under lvl 10) knew exactly what do to, their specific builds, and where they put sight wards, etc.. I guess he called them "Smurfs"

Basically, it seems that there is no-way to have just a good (reasonably close) game anymore, and it gets frustrating to all those involved to just play all day and not get a single game of people around their own skill level. There is no-way to report these "Smurfs", and that paired with the bad matchmaking just makes it almost unplayable.

So hate on me as you will, but know most people are just not playing because they can not have a good fun game which is too bad really, as it can be a really fun game to play with your friends.

Edit:Why in new player.. Well it is something new players are going to run into a lot, and as they level it is only going to get worst.. Not to mention, I am really only lvl 15 so that is still kinda of new. So there ya go..

Oddible

11-10-2012

Very odd that you would come here to post this since your match history shows a 50% win / loss ratio in your last 10 games, so the matchmaking is pretty much spot on. Maybe you just have a broken memory, or only short term memory, are you from Colorado or Washington? Been celebrating?

Rev Jeckel

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddible View Post
Very odd that you would come here to post this since your match history shows a 50% win / loss ratio in your last 10 games, so the matchmaking is pretty much spot on. Maybe you just have a broken memory, or only short term memory, are you from Colorado or Washington? Been celebrating?
I have the wins I do because well... I was carried by my fellow players. Thankfully some of them were higher level I was able to play with, and usually those are the only times I can play on even close to even ground with the others is to bring my own high levels into the fight. I really think you should check the individual stats (None bot games of course) before you judge, but really its irrelevant as you just wanted to post some witty insult. I am not here to argue, only to put up the point. I am sorry if you misinterpreted it.

ScorchXBanister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

I came up before people realized they could be ******s with how matchmaking works, so I can't really advise you on a "How to avoid" level...

I actually think you should check out some open ARAM lobbies in Custom games as long as they aren't all lv.30. It's fun and hopefully you can find one that doesn't have people outrageously higher level than you.

As for the skill ratings, unless you mean the 30, I can assure you everyone has the same amount of skill (or lack thereof) as you do. Wins aside. If they have more wins than you have games played, then they have twice as many losses as you have games played.

Drunkman8

11-10-2012

for some reason i have the opposite result when playing, on co-op am stuck with lvl 7-9 players. its not a bad thing, but its annoying when i have around 13-16 kills and everyone else has around 2-5

Rev Jeckel

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchXBanister View Post
I came up before people realized they could be ******s with how matchmaking works, so I can't really advise you on a "How to avoid" level...

I actually think you should check out some open ARAM lobbies in Custom games as long as they aren't all lv.30. It's fun and hopefully you can find one that doesn't have people outrageously higher level than you.

As for the skill ratings, unless you mean the 30, I can assure you everyone has the same amount of skill (or lack thereof) as you do. Wins aside. If they have more wins than you have games played, then they have twice as many losses as you have games played.
I have not actually heard of ARAM before so will look it up, and about the skill ratings.. I wish that was true. I don't know if they lose games on purpose (Some "might", but it is kinda paranoid to think that is the only thing going on), or just really what is going on, but I mean in most games the skill difference is really obvious, and I am not the only one thinking, or even not playing because of it. I am not trying to say fix it or I will quit.. I don't mean it as a threat, but it is just something that is very wrong with the system.

They have an unskilled player report, and to be honest I think I should just report myself over and over till I stop getting these people, but they don't have an over skilled report? There is no-way to say hey that person is way too good for level one, I mean I would think it would be more of a complement, and get them out of playing all these new people trying to learn the game.

TehomCD

11-10-2012

It just happens sometimes. It takes a lot of games to match you appropriately, and even then, people are really inconsistent so there's a lot of mismatched games. And then sometimes the system just makes mistakes, especially late at night.

In my example, I recently had the biggest mismatch I can ever think of in a normal blind pick game. It was four of us, and we're all pretty mediocre players, ranging from unranked to about 1400 Elo or so. And the four of us had one random player added to our team, against a team with a duo queue and three random people. The duo queue was Froggen of CLG.Eu and a friend of his, and Froggen is easily one of the best players in the world. How is something like that possible? Well, he only had 20 normal wins on the account, since all his games on his US server account are normally in ranked, where he has about 800 games at 2500+ Elo, and looking at his match history he just plays with friends who are much lower than him, so his normal Elo was vastly deflated, and the matchmaker considered a premade of 4 + 1 random to be roughly comparable to a premade of 2 + 3 randoms since it couldn't accurately assess the incredible difference in his skill versus ours.

Basically you just need to blow off things like that. Weird things happen, but on the whole, the matchmaker is pretty good once someone has enough games played, especially as players themselves grow more experienced and consistent.

TwistWrist

11-10-2012

Matchmaking filters out smurfs. It is why your friend who made a smurf got paired with a bunch of smurfs.

And really, matchmaking cannot guarantee super close matches all the time. If a player don't know how to handle a slightly fed enemy, then the games will never super close. It always comes down to learning as much as you can from every game and not worrying about the other noise. It isn't important in the long run.

Rev Jeckel

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistWrist View Post
Matchmaking filters out smurfs. It is why your friend who made a smurf got paired with a bunch of smurfs.

And really, matchmaking cannot guarantee super close matches all the time. If a player don't know how to handle a slightly fed enemy, then the games will never super close. It always comes down to learning as much as you can from every game and not worrying about the other noise. It isn't important in the long run.
First I asked most the people who I know play if they had ever heard of something like this, and although there has been a few that have been around for a while they have not.. But I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt, as maybe there was something announced that they just didn't see.

Out of curiosity I ran a test. I talked a friend into making a character, and although I did point out what the buttons do, and generally what categories to look for items I did not tell them anything about the game (I wanted to see what it did when he played it).

Each time he played a game I watched and each time there was one if not more players that were just obviously over skilled to be that level. Now.. I was only able to talk him into 5 games before he just quit all together, and who knows maybe it was just bad luck as that is not a very large sampling, but that is some major bad luck. I am not saying this is "Scientific" but it is not a good trend to have at the very least.

This doesn't work, and although I do agree with your second paragraph about how game play even with the same player varies from game to game. It still shows the matchmaking is broken, and "Smurfs" are not being separated like it says they are.

I think one of the other issues I was running into was with playing with a friend it was counted as a "pre-made" so the difficulty it seen us as was upgraded. Though we were not "Better"since there were two of us it thought we were, and there ya go. So I might have better luck joining by myself... then I wouldn't get to play with my friends... so it is like a catch 22.

Magus Crow

11-11-2012

5 games isnt enough of a sample size to be drawing any conclusions from as it takes several games to determine any sort of sembalence of your true ELO. Matchmaking does its best to match you with people of the same ELO range as you. In the beginning your ELO fluxuates quite a bit (much the same as ranked placement matches) and an early win streak can grossly overrate your ELO.

Give it 150 games or so and you should be roughly where you are supposed to be.