Why is any elo under 1700 elo considered "low elo"?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dredzach

11-14-2012

Quote from RIOT on Season 2 percentiles (this is out of only ranked players not ALL players):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
We didn't use exact percentiles because we feel that it's more important that the requirements are consistent and easy to remember. But it's roughly:

Diamond - Top 0.05% to 0.1%
Platinum - Top 0.5% to 1%
Gold - Top 5% to 10%
Silver - Top 40% to 50%

Colbyjack7

11-14-2012

It is because people make so many mistakes. They do not know objective control, when to take towers, how to farm a losing lane, expect the jungler to win their lane, and are bad at teamfighting in general.

Jackilla

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

After playing my placement matches and winning the majority (lost 2 because of actual trolls, eg. leaver at the beginning of the game/feeders because they lost first blood or not getting blue buff), I gained a considerable amount of ELO. My friend, who was a highly ranked platinum player wanted to duo with me since the ELO reset put us near each other. When we got to the loading screen, 3/5 had a platinum border, 1 had a diamond border, and I was the only one with a golden border. As soon as we got into the game, my teammates proceeded to go like "Ewww, gold player" and "Aww man gold ranked Ezreal, gg." Of course I showed them wrong

Minute 31

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyjack7 View Post
It is because people make so many mistakes. They do not know objective control, when to take towers, how to farm a losing lane, expect the jungler to win their lane, and are bad at teamfighting in general.
Right, and that's why this game needs a better tutorial, in my opinion. Most of the things people are bad at are things you learn but not necessarily practice. General knowledge of the game and its mechanics.

Stevev45

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser676 View Post
Copied from a popular ELO hell thread

I've always been proud of my 1287 elo, even though I played those 20 games a year ago. I see gold as a huge achievement, and I have no delusions that I'm not even close to being as good as a plat level player.
Note to be a downer because I like the jist of your post, but I think those numbers are inaccurate.

these are the ones from the riot post on season 2 elo

Diamond - Top 0.05% to 0.1%
Platinum - Top 0.5% to 1%
Gold - Top 5% to 10%
Silver - Top 40% to 50%

solo
Bronze VII <850
Bronze VI 850
Bronze V 900
Bronze IV 950
Bronze III 1000
Bronze II 1050
Bronze I 1100
Silver VII 1150
Silver VI 1200
Silver V 1250
Silver IV 1300
Silver III 1350
Silver II 1400
Silver I 1450
Gold VII 1500
Gold VI 1550
Gold V 1600
Gold IV 1650
Gold III 1700
Gold II 1750
Gold I 1800
Platinum VII 1850
Platinum VI 1900
Platinum V 1950
Platinum IV 2000
Platinum III 2050
Platinum II 2100
Platinum I 2150
Diamond VII 2200
Diamond VI 2250
Diamond V 2300
Diamond IV 2350
Diamond III 2400
Diamond II 2450
Diamond I 2500

Talisid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerocaliber View Post
Actually OP, those statistics were from Season 1. This year, 1300 is about 66% or 2/3 of the playerbase. If you are below 1300, you are actually lower than the majority of players. Infact, gold is the top 15% which is significantly higher than it was last year.

http://i.imgur.com/LVlQE.png
That graph can't be considered correct, because it ONLY counts players that are 1200 and above because you can't see the rating of players who are below 1200.

dredzach

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerocaliber View Post
Actually OP, those statistics were from Season 1. This year, 1300 is about 66% or 2/3 of the playerbase. If you are below 1300, you are actually lower than the majority of players. Infact, gold is the top 15% which is significantly higher than it was last year.

http://i.imgur.com/LVlQE.png
Your image only includes a player pool of those 1200 or ABOVE. Your statistics already cut the population in half right from the start. This puts gold as the top 7.5% (roughly). See my quote above also.

rivnen

11-14-2012

Well, as for the quote you have... its from a old thread-back when elo was lost for dodging... the elo system has resulted in slightly* higher elos sense then, and with this reset they will go up even more.

However the difference in numbers for most people will prove arbitrary, and trolls gonna troll.

Zerocaliber

11-14-2012

Fine, then look at the riot statistics. Yes, you are correct, the graph is wrong, I realized this after I posted it, but being silver puts you in the top 50% just barely, not top 25% like OP says.

Jackilla

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost775 View Post
Right, and that's why this game needs a better tutorial, in my opinion. Most of the things people are bad at are things you learn but not necessarily practice. General knowledge of the game and its mechanics.
There is only so much the devs can do in terms of a tutorial. Everyone learns differently. They can't cater to how such a large playerbase learns. The way most players learn things is through an experienced friend, or just from playing alot, and having helpful teammates give tips and criticisms (hence, the "helpful" honor). The only way to effectively teach newcomers in a large scale is to have a mentor system, like how other games with high learning curves usually work with. Don't feel like looking up examples, but I know mentor systems exist out there.