Why is any elo under 1700 elo considered "low elo"?

1234567 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

the Pubstarr

Recruiter

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphariusRising View Post
It really is amusing to see people ignore somebody's opinion based on their elo. "Omg you don't play ranked, therefore when you say that Hecarim is a jungler, you are wrong!"
I don't know any decent player who would ever even say this.

Boats

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by –ucktales View Post
whats the current decay rate? is it significant or is it so minimal it doesnt matter
I quit playing for almost 6 months. Came back and only lost like 30 elo.

chaser676

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by –ucktales View Post
whats the current decay rate? is it significant or is it so minimal it doesnt matter
25 elo a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Boats View Post
I quit playing for almost 6 months. Came back and only lost like 30 elo.
It stops decaying at 1399

FOODFOOD

11-14-2012

In my opinion, if you're better than 50% of the playerbase, you're an above average player.

Boats

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser676 View Post
25 elo a week.

It stops decaying at 1399
Ahh that explains it

chaser676

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOODFOOD View Post
In my opinion, if you're better than 50% of the playerbase, you're an above average player.
What is the 50% mark? 1100?

Awdsone

11-14-2012

probably bc in the 1500s u still have ad carries rushing tri force with no dorans, lee sins building tri force, or mids that don't ward.

KirbyCake

11-14-2012

Because it's like people still don't know how to play the game until 1800 level
If you know how to ward, last hit, and have an idea about lane control, you're automatically plat elo leveled.

No joke, my mechanical skills are like on a 1k elo level while my strategy and theorectical knowledge of the game is like 2.8k elo.
But since I know how to ward, last hit, and knowing when to push the lane, that is good enough mechanical wise and then my dominant strategy decides the game.

Minute 31

11-14-2012

The thing is, you start at 1200 elo, so gold is now only 300 elo away from start. Anything below 1200 means you actually lost elo by playing, and if you put in even a small amount of effort over an extended period of time you could easily hit 1700-1800, which is where I think most players would probably stop rising if they worked at it.

Beyond 1800 is when you separate those better than the rest, and when you hit 2300-2500 you start to see people who practice and actually put thought into the game instead of following an accepted meta and learning the 'right' way to play a champ.

So that is why I think anything below 1700 is low elo, because anyone should be able to work their way to at least 1700 if they put the effort in.

Gun Pierson

11-14-2012

My main account is on euro where I ended 1434 and even though I was gold for a while I'm proud. I'm happy to be within the 10%, if bronze is still top 25% ofcourse. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Someone who has 2800-3000 elo might consider 2000 low elo lol.

To me everything above 1200 is certainly not low elo. It might look that way when you just look at the numbers and compare with over 2000, but that's a flawed view. You need to look at the bigger picture.

1234567 ... 11