Should I build some def on casters?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Clay

10-06-2010

When I get into late game, should I continue focusing on damage items or shift over to get some survivability?

AidsAttack

10-06-2010

survival, if you didnt build one earlier.

QNecron

10-06-2010

One descent survival item helps from what I've found, find out what is killing you most of the time and counter it. I've had to build a Thornmail on Ryze to keep auto attack DPSers off me, but that was after my RoA, Sorc Boots and Void.

Amiithystine

10-06-2010

RoA and Rylais gives you some good survivability w/o sacrificing damage. These aren't bad ideas on Tanky morg who jump in with her ulti.

Carabao

10-06-2010

I usually get ninja's tabi or merc treads according to enemy composition. I get banshees vs casters and/or randuin's omen for melee. I prefer omen over thornmail, it gives you health, a chance to snare enemies that hit you, and you have an active that provides an AoE slow. Those two items are usually optional, not really needed if you have map awareness and if the tank initiates properly. The best survival item I always get is guardian angel, if you get into a team fight they can't just wait for you to res. They will focus another champion, by the time you revive your first three skills will usually be available and allows you to reenter the battle or retreat.

Liz Vicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2010

Get AP runes and masteries, build your rylais or rod of ages first, then start building pure ap.

GenesisDante

10-06-2010

If the other team is focusing you, yes.
If they are leaving you alone then maybe for a just in case.

TheJuan

10-06-2010

I say either Guardian Angel which always helps or a Banshee's Veil.

Graiskye

10-06-2010

Totally game dependent. If you are not dying, you havent died in the game needlessly(I mean a 2 vs 1, or a gank,not regular laning), and your team is winning, hell no continue to make them pay with even MORE Damage.
On the other hand, if the game is a tight fight, and your team is losing the battle in teamfight, then a little extra survivability might help.
It is really really dependent on the opposing team and the current game.

Rinoa

eSports Coordinator

10-06-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I usually go at least one survivability item somewhere, but really you have to analyze each game on it's own. If the other team has a lot of magic damage or target disables, go for a banshee's...etc

Right now Zhonya's is by far the best item choice for all casters since you get the damage plus a defensive mechanism. I also like RoA if you get it early enough (15 mins or earlier) or Rylai's.