My thoughts on Dom + Revive Discussion.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2012

Before I get into anything I like Dominion as much as the next Dominion Player. I've been playing dominion since its release in between SR games. There are obviously a few imbalances that make me dislike the mode such as the multiple reverse snowball mechanics that happen when you're behind in points, and also the 100 point restriction where you can only score points via holding points, as well as champion imbalances. As a result of this and the lack of a ranked mode (doesn't make sense to me tbh), I tend to play this casually, despite enjoying the actual game.

I can't claim that I've played competitive Dominion, but before lolmatches shut down I was in the 2k range and I would assume that at this point I should be like 2.2k+ since I generally win a far larger proportion of games than I lose. I've read Sauron's guide, like many others and I'd like to think I have a pretty decent understanding of the game.

There was a time when I picked Revive/Garrison every game, but to be perfectly honest I've found these summoner choices to be really restrictive in my game-play. I feel like flash/ignite gives me more chances to outplay people, especially when players are not taking offensive summoners, and I win a large portion of my games where I take flash ignite simply because of increased mobility and dueling potential. *additionally, even if I don't take revive, other players are taking it, so doesn't that reduce the need for me to be taking it?

Despite my usual success with this unorthodox (?) summoner choice, every once in a while I get that one player who decides to trash talk me for whatever reason because I don't take Revive and I find this pretty annoying tbh. Today I played Teemo for the first time in Dominion (well technically i played him in a bot game beforehand!) because I heard BFT is op (and it is of my opinion that it is ridiculously overpowered). So I load in, and the first line I read is 'figures that the only diamond player in the game is taking flash ignite'. After the first fight, I start to lag for a few minutes at which point I tell my team that I'm lagging and can't move. This guy just says to me 'I wasn't expecting you to do anything anyway'.

To me, it's pretty annoying when people assume I'm going to be bad at the game on the basis that I'm not taking revive. I stop lagging and end up doing really well (at least imo!) and we win from a 300 point deficit (I think the score was like 450-150 at one stage). I don't think I should have to 'perform well' to have people not be on my back but this seems to be the case far more often than not.

Is revive truly so important that not taking it warrants your team mates claiming that you are bad? I would think that it isn't since the actual win difference between taking revive and not taking it seems to be roughly the same in my experience.

*And yes, I am fully aware of the benefits that Revive grants since I was actually using it for a pretty long period of time before switching to flash + offensive summoner spell.

Orphane

11-13-2012

Did you really uh...need to post this thread 3 times in a row?

Bma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2012

Forums bugged out, kept coming up as an empty post ('invalid thread' etc) I'll delete the other two.

Edit : I can't delete the other two! But maybe a mod can!

FDru

11-13-2012

Revive zerg wins games. Happens all the time in high end play.

When good plays are few and far between, having a good teamfight win flipped around on you and getting destroyed and completely losing map control just because the whole enemy team slammed their Revive button at the same time is the stupidest thing imaginable.

Revive is broken on this map. Absolutely broken and totally retarded. It should have never been enabled in the first place.

No I won't shut up about it until it's gone.

ViolentlyCar

11-13-2012

CoenA, how often do you win the windmill fight?

Cottontail Teemo

11-13-2012

Some people in high elo dominion are a little stubborn and a tad elitist, if you try to build/play differently then they do, they will automatically dismiss you as being worse than them- best thing to do is ignore them and play how YOU want to play and you feel comfortable playing and if you're winning the majority of your games, you're doing something right .
Onto the topic of revive I always take it because Revive Zerging is annoying- kill all enemies, your team survives with low heath, enemies all revive, kill your team and cap the point.
I'm also not going to judge whether revive is OP- but revive in essence is a spell that rewards dying, which leads to a lot of counter-intuitive game play.

Bma

11-13-2012

Well I tend to play champions like Ezreal who can stay alive for excessive amounts of time if I don't play badly and get caught out so my windmill fights tend to go pretty well. In extremely long windmill fights sometimes i will just recall back to base if my other team mates used revive and are on the way.

Typically throughout the game I'll probably just recall and give up the point if they use revive and I can't defend it, then try to find another opportunity to take it the next time when their revive in on cd. Like, there are so many comebacks in dominion even when Revive isn't involved which makes it seem somewhat less important. If I can translate Flash into one instance where I'm not going to die and I can pick up a point, I'd already argue the usefulness of it compared to revive on a cd to actual usefulness ratio.

That said I think Bott Laners definitely need to take revive, and I think that most teams should be taking a few revives in general. Just doesn't seem necessary on all 5 players though. I also agree that Revive is probably not healthy for the game from many perspectives, even if it's not actually overpowered.

*and tbh, one of the major reasons is that I'm using flash all the time in other game modes, which will probably mean I'm using flash more effectively than revive. Probably!

Endrid

11-14-2012

i agree remove or nerf revive please!!!

Torenia

11-14-2012

Revive is either really useful or meh as opposed to a different summoner spell at the time, honestly was surprised it wasn't removed because of that aspect. Most times if I see a team with 5 revive I just have everyone rush bot and that throws off their plan for revive windmill :| Generally works to get bot cap, course not guaranteed.

FOODFOOD

11-14-2012

I've seen some REALLY good players lately that have capitalized on using two non-revive summoner spells. I sort of agree with the point that, in blind pick, you don't need all 5 of you with revive. I think champs with reliable escapes or have a wombo-combo that includes 2 SS don't need revive.

However, if you're playing a 5-man arranged or you're playing bot, it's definitely wiser to have it than not.