You cannot prove/disprove Elo hell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kamrusepas

Banned

10-06-2010

Pretty sure Elo hell has been mathematically proven, including simulations.

wafflecopter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamrusepas View Post
Pretty sure Elo hell has been mathematically proven, including simulations.
[citation needed]

Rebonack

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fufufufufu View Post
You can either percieve or not percieve elo hell, but your perception is not evidence that it does or does not exist, for you can not prove that your perceptions exist.
Eeww, skepticism.

Prove to me that hard skepticism is a rational, reasonable philosophical position to take while adhering to the tenets of skepticism. If you can't then I believe I can safely dismiss it as irrational nonsense =D

Kamrusepas

Banned

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflecopter View Post
[citation needed]
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=199681

Its been done a few times.

Akwaduk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainemo View Post
You can, but you have to die first.

Or maybe you're already dead.

D:
Have you seen inception?

NSA Datalord

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fufufufufu View Post
You can either percieve or not percieve elo hell, but your perception is not evidence that it does or does not exist, for you can not prove that your perceptions exist.
How about this.. I kick you in the balls, and you attempt to disbelieve my foot. We can do this several dozen times if you feel a need for scientific rigor.

Garion

10-06-2010

Quote:
its not mathematically proven

its just mathematically suggested that the probability of a ELO Hell exists, since the tweeking of said numbers that poster used can alter the conclusion significantly

Bainemo

10-06-2010

I have a feeling a lot of people are incorrectly I'm assuming I think I'm in Elo hell.

wafflecopter

10-06-2010

Quote:
i'll buy that simulation, but the vast majority of the people claiming they are in elo hell are just bad.

SwordOrShield

10-06-2010

ELO Hell is a highly improbable thing to happen, where you have a stream of feeders and leavers in YOUR GAMES but not others.

However, 'improbable' does not equal 'impossible'. Plus, the 'Double ELO loss/gain for first twenty games' mechanics is I feel the second biggest issue causing ELO hell effects after the leavers/feeders themselves.

This means that if you have some 'bad luck' over your first twenty games, you get, basically, doubly penalized. 20 games is not a large enough sample size to 'even out' your luck. Let me put it simply:

Let's do some math. The chance of the leaver being on your team is 4/9. Let's stretch this out over 20 games, and see what the odds are that of, say, 10 leavers (Not too much of a stretch), the 'odds' of having them on your team 7 times out of 10 or more.

The odds of getting 7 is 7%. 8 is 2.1%. 9 and 10 together, about 0.4%. A total chance of about 9.5% here.

9.5% chance of having your ELO tanked by a streak of leavers? That's pretty low, isn't it?

...No, it isn't. The reason it's not? We have -hundreds of thousands- of people playing in ranked. Even at 9.5%, with a sample size of 100k, the odds are this 'highly improbable result' will happen just under ten thousand times.

This has been my longstanding belief: ELO Hell is highly improbable. But there's enough people playing LoL that it's even more improbable that it doesn't happen.