Swain [Discussion]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CaptainShark

10-06-2010

What is yours? What have you tried?

I find that stacking AP, and AP only, makes him worthless. Swain's ratios are way to low to make him a burst damage caster.

I read somewhere to try him out as a more dps character, using rageblade, hextech and all that. I decided to go a bit different from the build and found great succes in it.

Core build:

Doran's shield - makes you able to lane for a while
Sorcerer's shoes - you're still a caster
Guinsoo rageblade - E Q W R = 4 stacks already, auto-attack + recast spells afterwards
Nashor's tooth - attack speed, cdr, mana regen, pretty good
Rylai's scepter - survivability + slow

Afterwards I was going for zhonya's ring, but I guess many items could fit well there.

Masteries 16 0 14, get the cdr, magic pen, a/s, armor pen, experience, mana regen, buff duration (your ult + golem buff is awesome)

Runes Mpen marks, mp5 seals, AP glyphs (I would have gone cdr but I don't have them yet) and Mpen quints.

What about you?

Simvolic

10-06-2010

I tend to build Swain like how I build most of my mages,

1. Doran's Ring
2. Catalyst
3. Sorc boots
4. Large Rod (Early AP)
5. Either finish building a Z Ring or make the Cat into Banshee's or RoA
6. Rylai's
7. Situational items.

NainaHellebron

10-06-2010

1. Archmage's Staff
2. Sorc Boots
3. Spirit Visage
4. Will of The Ancients
5. Rylai's Crystal Sceptor
6. WoTA/Zhonya's/Defensive Item

AlfRGB

10-06-2010

HP Crystal
Catalyst
Boots
RoA
Merc Treads
Spirit Visage
Sheen
Lich Bane

MightyBolamite

10-06-2010

Just a quick fyi, I was browsing the youtubes today for Swain vids and saw that the birds still go out and heal you while Zhonya's is active.

AxisXIViral

10-06-2010

1. Ability tome
2. Sorc's shoes
3. Turn ability tome into Rylai's
5. Void staff if you've got people running crazy magic resist (great against Galio)
6. Deathfire Grasp or Zhonya's Ring
7. Whichever one you didn't pick for 6
8. Whatever you feel necessary.

Reasoning: Starting with ability tome makes it easier to harass during early game. Sorc's shoes for magic pen obviously. Rylai's is an absolute must have item for Swain and must be purchased as early as possible. The HP and slow just make EVERYTHING so much easier with him. I don't always get void staff, but like I said, good for people who use a lot of magic resist to block your nuking ability. Deathfire is pretty much a must have item for Swain as well, considering the damage bonus from his E. Zhonya's ring is never a bad choice, but definitely save it for late game unless you're getting a lot of cash flow.

Not a perfect build, but it makes him do some pretty scary damage as long as you can play him right.

Numbat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainShark View Post
Guinsoo rageblade - E Q W R = 4 stacks already, auto-attack + recast spells afterwards
R does not proc Guinsoo's unfortunately.

Will of the Ancients is the worst waste of cash ever because spell vamp is so overpriced. Spirit visage + AP don't outdo straight AP for healing per raven until about 140-160 AP, even taking the extra effective HP from the magic resist into account and opponents packing magic penetration. Given the same amount of gold spent, of course.

I also just don't feel like you need to rush Rylai's. The main benefit is the slow and the extra max hp just helps with burst (doesn't actually make your self-heal more effective like mres/armor would). I've usually delayed Rylai's until after codex, finished DFG after that, and then continued with tanky items.

AxisXIViral

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbat View Post
I also just don't feel like you need to rush Rylai's. The main benefit is the slow and the extra max hp just helps with burst (doesn't actually make your self-heal more effective like mres/armor would). I've usually delayed Rylai's until after codex, finished DFG after that, and then continued with tanky items.
The thing about the HP for me is how much it helps out during early-mid game. Survivability goes WAY up, and it can be a problem surviving sometimes since people like to target Swain.

Hamidemian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NainaHellebron View Post
1. Archmage's Staff
2. Sorc Boots
3. Spirit Visage
4. Will of The Ancients
5. Rylai's Crystal Sceptor
6. WoTA/Zhonya's/Defensive Item
Love this one, and i'm using RoA instead of Archmage (Archangel's?).

NainaHellebron

10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamidemian View Post
Love this one, and i'm using RoA instead of Archmage (Archangel's?).
oops lol dumb moment, i tend to have those >.<

reason i use archangels is because of the regen scaling it has with golem buff, if i have the buff and at least tears of the goddess i can up keep my ulti for a pretty long time and have my mana rdy in no time, other thing i love about this build is your basically a aoe mundo.