Need some advice vs garen

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UberGenocide

Member

11-13-2012

I was playing Olaf top lane in ranked against a garen and I have to admit, I was having a rough time without the help of my jungler. (he ganked often but without him, I would have been in a world of ****)

I couldn't seem to trade with him, maxing my E first to boost damage.

Is there any way an Olaf can counter Garen? Or did I do good by getting a HoG and calling for ganks from good guy Warwick?

Advice is greatly appreciated!

Uber


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

awesomejak

Senior Member

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberGenocide View Post
I was playing Olaf top lane in ranked against a garen and I have to admit, I was having a rough time without the help of my jungler. (he ganked often but without him, I would have been in a world of ****)

I couldn't seem to trade with him, maxing my E first to boost damage.

Is there any way an Olaf can counter Garen? Or did I do good by getting a HoG and calling for ganks from good guy Warwick?

Advice is greatly appreciated!

Uber
Harass with your Q a lot (yes I'm stating the obvious) when you are going in for trades make sure that you don't go in for a quick burst olaf has good sustain because of his passive make sure to really weaken him so that it takes a bit for him to regenerate... If he is still close try to hit him with your Q so he can't heal as much. Just go in and charge him you should be able to take him with your Attack speed and your lifesteal, your E will help you a lot. Hope this helps.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UberGenocide

Member

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomejak View Post
Harass with your Q a lot (yes I'm stating the obvious) when you are going in for trades make sure that you don't go in for a quick burst olaf has good sustain because of his passive make sure to really weaken him so that it takes a bit for him to regenerate... If he is still close try to hit him with your Q so he can't heal as much. Just go in and charge him you should be able to take him with your Attack speed and your lifesteal, your E will help you a lot. Hope this helps.
Thanks and I really appreciate the advice. Would you recommend maxing Q first or leveling up Q with E to even out the damage for more sustained damage? The thing that kept getting me was it was hard to trade and fight while his E did a good bit of damage to me.

I guess this is just Garen being Garen: Good lane and meh late game.

Once again thanks! Any more feedback would be appreciated.

uber


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maltski

Junior Member

11-13-2012

Don't let his regen come back up, build early Chain Vest into Hexdrinker (cancels his ult basically) and avoid his full combo and beat him down with true damage. A good Garen is very hard to beat with Olaf tho


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

awesomejak

Senior Member

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberGenocide View Post
Thanks and I really appreciate the advice. Would you recommend maxing Q first or leveling up Q with E to even out the damage for more sustained damage? The thing that kept getting me was it was hard to trade and fight while his E did a good bit of damage to me.

I guess this is just Garen being Garen: Good lane and meh late game.

Once again thanks! Any more feedback would be appreciated.

uber
No just use you Q to stop him from healing leave it there until you max E... When I play Olaf I usually get a regrowth pendant it helps me to stay in lane, use my E more often and go straight to a warmogs. Just me tho.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tykune

Senior Member

11-13-2012

Garen's biggest weaknesses are slows and ranged attacks. If you have both, Garen will have a hard time getting near you. (Preferably more than one slow since his Q will clear the first one)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

smokebaca

Senior Member

11-13-2012

garen is a nuisance right now the best thing to do with olaf is stack some armor and it basically shuts all his damage out then get some lifesteal and when he spins on you just hit him


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vuther

Senior Member

11-13-2012

I figure Olaf's best chance is to E Garen (preferably right as Garen last-hits to give Olaf more time to back away before he gets silenced) and Q him after Garen activates Decisive Strike in response to being harassed, but this is really hard to do since the range of Olaf's E is pretty short and the onus is entirely on Olaf to succeed since the lane will otherwise be pretty easy for Garen. Otherwise, rush the **** outta Chain Vest.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UberGenocide

Member

11-13-2012

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Really appreciate it. I'll take all these into consideration and practice against him.

Uber


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Saigo Getsuga

Senior Member

11-13-2012

I play both, Olaf and Garen.


Donīt pick olaf against him. Pick jayce./teemo (good teemo) /nidalee they kinda counter him



Garen >>> most tops.


Current Garen does not fall off in late game, his UlT cooldown at lvl 1 is loooooooooooooooong tho, exploit that.


12